Oculus Rift

or take a trip to Boots for some travel sickness pills.

I did take motion sickness pills, quite strong ones infact. Betahistine for vertigo the Dr prescribed for me a while back.

I shifted it on Ebay for £390, had no intention at all of making money on it, just wanted rid of it. After fees etc, only made 48 quid on it.

I honestly don't think anyone will be affected as badly as I was, just hope the consumer version works for me.

Last edited:
I cant wait for this thing. Dont even care about ps4/xbone anymore. Hope some amazing racing games come out for it.

Well had my Oculus DK2 for a week now and it is amazing :)

Live for Speed really showcases the immersion the DK2 gives over racing games.

Fight for Endor demo is a good free starwars flight sim, really fun

I am waiting now for iRacing to support DK2 and Elite Dangerous to hit the shelves as finished :)

Loving it

Does LFS natively support Oculus? Might have to get back into that so...

EDIT:- It seems it got a patch for Oculus recently. Cool.

Nate

yes LFS supports the DK2 and it is a free demo download. So good I bought the full version online.

Doing Doughnuts in the Caterham whilst leaning out of the car and watching the rear wheels is epic :)

The DK2 is far from polished as expected. The screen door is still there (pixel grid pattern) but you soon ignore it. Hopefully the CV1 will be 4k

Head tracking is perfect and cures "most" nausea if 75 FPS is maintained.

FOV is a bit low, but acceptable.

I have it for 2 reasons, Racing Sims and Elite Dangerous to relight my BBC childhood days :)

EuroTruck is buggy as hell and the FPS is dire at the moment.

1st Person Shooters I personally think are not suited to VR yet as you cannot walk, you have to use controllers.

Happy to be a fanboy of Oculus and everyone I have let try it has been amazed.

Last edited:
I got a steering wheel and LFS because I heard driving sims were good, and a playseat off ebay when i found out that they were. The sense of spatial awareness adds something uncanny to a racing sim, and even with the current resolution its amazingly immersive. Loved standing up accidentally in Elite and suddenly seeing the side of my ship. Had not even occurred to me to try. HL2 made me want to puke, but I know why - its because of the speed (acceleration/deceleration) settings and when i'm controlling direction with my mouse, keyboard and view! Its too much, and really needs a controller like the Stem. Watched Godzilla on the rift the other day in my own personal Imax.The DK2 is good, a bit like looking at a massive VHS video, but the resolution of the CV1 is going to be a real game changer to the way you can experience movies in general.

I get those who are dubious, but people seem to get hung up about resolution, as though we haven't gone through massive resolution changes in the development of graphics cards, and as though its not 'real' enough with low resolution when they're staring at crystal clarity through a static 23" window.

You'll be able to try it soon anyhow - Samsung VR is going to be setting up demos in all their outlets. Im seriously considering getting a Note 4.

I get those who are dubious, but people seem to get hung up about resolution, as though we haven't gone through massive resolution changes in the development of graphics cards, and as though its not 'real' enough with low resolution when they're staring at crystal clarity through a static 23" window.

+1 and well put.

The DK2 is far from polished as expected. The screen door is still there (pixel grid pattern) but you soon ignore it. Hopefully the CV1 will be 4k

Head tracking is perfect and cures "most" nausea if 75 FPS is maintained.

FOV is a bit low, but acceptable.

I have it for 2 reasons, Racing Sims and Elite Dangerous to relight my BBC childhood days :)

What racing sim do you expect to run in 4k? Elite dangerous @4k from what i've read on forums is around 55fps with titan setup, so not good enough for rift use.

I get around 75fps in iRacing with a stock 290X, and thats at 7680 x 1080, which happens to be the exact same number of pixels in a 4K monitor. As 'racing sims' go, thats almost certainly the most popular, certainly amongst those who like to take it relatively seriously, compared to the sims that favour closer to arcade for the mass market.
I also get 60fps in Assetto Corsa, which is more impressive with the visuals, but really iRacing is impressive enough IMO for immersion.

My understanding was that a 1080p resolution was 2x 1080p screens, each rendering their own version of events, is this correct? Does this mean 4K isnt simply 4K, but double that, bar any outer pixels which dont render as they're out of view or lead to a somewhat distorted shape picture.

Im still very much on the fence, the inner child thinks its a game changer unlike anything we've had before, having a real immersive connection to your game world. But my head keeps coming back to nausea, image quality/sharpness and what hardware would be required to achieve such results, and the idea of being unaware of personal surroundings and ability to use things like a kb&m while effectively being blindfolded by pixels. Fortunately racing games have wheels, which sustains that belief, likewise a flight sim could with a HOTAS, but theres always KB moments, and it'll lead to fumbling, and in competitive settings, fumblings are detrimental, they're a weakness.

I really want it to work though.

Last edited:
My understanding was that a 1080p resolution was 2x 1080p screens, each rendering their own version of events, is this correct? Does this mean 4K isnt simply 4K, but double that, bar any outer pixels which dont render as they're out of view or lead to a somewhat distorted shape picture.

Na, the DK2 is 1x1080p screen split between 2 eyes. The CV1 is expected to be around 1440p (could be higher but that's what most people have speculated) so you still wont be getting 1080p per eye then either

I can't get mine working on my windows 7 PC running a Nvidia 760. It's not recognised at all by the PC, but it does work on another PC I tested it on with a crap graphics card. Anyone able to help? So frustrating!

As mentioned the Rift resolution is divide by 2 as it is split across 2 screens. No one knows for sure what the CV1 resolution will be just yet, although there are a lot of rumours.

On a speed issue, I run 2 x 7990 in XFire and get 450+ FPS in iRacing. If I use only 1 card I get 250+ FPS and this is across triple 1080p 27 inch monitors.

I have my fingers crossed that the CV1 is higher than 1440

I can't get mine working on my windows 7 PC running a Nvidia 760. It's not recognised at all by the PC, but it does work on another PC I tested it on with a crap graphics card. Anyone able to help? So frustrating!

I assume you have all the connections in place, power etc and you have installed the latest SDK from the Oculus dev site and flashed the firmware ?

I assume you have all the connections in place, power etc and you have installed the latest SDK from the Oculus dev site and flashed the firmware ?

I haven't been as to flash the firmware as it's not recognised at all by the configuration utility. If I plug it into another PC it's recognised automatically after I install the runtime and installs all the drivers etc. On mine, diddly squat.

I get an orange light on the headset only until windows kicks in, then the light disappears for good.

:(

Back
Top Bottom