Poll: Official 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix Race Thread - Hungaroring, Budapest - Race 13/24

Rate the Budapest race out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

• I’m not voting, I just want to see the poll result.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Caporegime
By the time Norris exited the pits and Hamilton passed through the same timing gates, he was about 4.5s behind. He was taking nearly 1.5s per lap out of Norris following his pit stop.

That isn't my recollection of events, but I can't find the figures anywhere so I guess I'll take your word for it.

@Mr Jack what he said. Anyone with hindsight can have an opinion, but it is only hindsight that gives this advantage....

It's not really hindsight; I said the same thing when it happened. Still, always easier to make calls when you're not responsible for the outcome of them and are making them from the comfort of your living room.

Soldato
By the time Norris exited the pits and Hamilton passed through the same timing gates, he was about 4.5s behind. He was taking nearly 1.5s per lap out of Norris following his pit stop.

They had more time than they evidently panicked themselves into thinking they had but if they'd done Piastri on 45 and Norris on 46, Hamilton is then potentially only 2.5s - 3s behind the trailing driver, which isn't much cushion for something going wrong during a stop.
Absolutely. From my privileged position of armchair expert I think McLaren played it right. They had the opportunity for their first 1-2 in 3 years and it seems they were running the pretty common policy of racing each other to the last stop.

Oscar was ahead at that point so the running order was clear. Do they now play it ultra safe and pit Lando first and then swap back on track or do they keep the running order and pit Oscar first? All it would have taken a couple of laps later would have been a crossed wheel nut and then it is game on with Hamilton. At which point he'd have been on the radio complaining that they left the stop too late.

They aren't in the drivers championship fight this year but the constructors title is most definitely on so play the team game first and foremost.

Lando needs to take a breath and realise that the race was decided at lap 45. The fact it was then just a case of bringing it home shows just how strong the team were this weekend which should be taken as a massive positive overall.

Caporegime
That isn't my recollection of events, but I can't find the figures anywhere so I guess I'll take your word for it.

Hamilton was 10s back before he pitted, McLaren chose not to respond immediately (presumably not seeing any risk and so thought they'd stick to their plan), then Hamilton took 1.483s, 1.377 and 1.297 out of Norris over the next few laps. I guess this was enough to make them panic and think sticking to their plan might let Hamilton get too close, so reacted by pitting Norris first. Once they'd both pitted, Hamilton was only 4.5s behind.

Man of Honour
Does anyone know where to find full transcripts of the team radio? I want to know what was said to Norris prior to the pitstop.

I'm sure a video of it was in my recommended feed on Youtube this morning, have a search on there for it i'm sure you'l find it,
just search for 'Lando team radio' and filter the results to the last 24 hours

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hamilton was 10s back before he pitted, McLaren chose not to respond immediately (presumably not seeing any risk and so thought they'd stick to their plan), then Hamilton took 1.483s, 1.377 and 1.297 out of Norris over the next few laps. I guess this was enough to make them panic and think sticking to their plan might let Hamilton get too close, so reacted by pitting Norris first. Once they'd both pitted, Hamilton was only 4.5s behind.

Fair enough.

I'm sure a video of it was in my recommended feed on Youtube this morning, have a search on there for it i'm sure you'l find it,

All the results I looked at just give the chatter after Piastri's pitstop.

Caporegime

Only includes messages from after Norris pitted, the first of which is:

"OK Lando, Oscar has just pitted, he'll likely come out just behind you, we'd like to reestablish the order, at your convenience"

Which presumably went entirely unanswered, broadcast or not, because the next message was asking for a radio check :p

I'm not convinced they told Norris beforehand given the message above, they may not have even expected Norris to leapfrog him in the first place, just as they were seemingly caught by surprise how fast Lewis was catching.

Associate
Haha his convenience...

Only includes messages from after Norris pitted, the first of which is:

"OK Lando, Oscar has just pitted, he'll likely come out just behind you, we'd like to reestablish the order, at your convenience"

Which presumably went entirely unanswered, broadcast or not, because the next message was asking for a radio check :p

I'm not convinced they told Norris beforehand given the message above, they may not have even expected Norris to leapfrog him in the first place, just as they were seemingly caught by surprise how fast Lewis was catching.

Back
Top Bottom