Poll: Official 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix Race Thread - Hungaroring, Budapest - Race 13/24

Rate the Budapest race out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

• I’m not voting, I just want to see the poll result.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Soldato
Having slept on it, they made it difficult but actually McLaren made the right choice as a team no? If they hadn’t pitted Norris first then maybe they would have ended up with a 1+3 finish. Might also make the difference when it comes to the WCC which is a more realistic proposition than the WDC.

I just think they should have had their cake and eaten it, told Oscar if he can’t catch Norris then they can’t do anything about it? Meh. Tricky situation to be fair.

Soldato
Having slept on it, they made it difficult but actually McLaren made the right choice as a team no? If they hadn’t pitted Norris first then maybe they would have ended up with a 1+3 finish.

Not really, they had plenty of time to pit Oscar instead of Lando and then pit Lando a lap later. This is a situation of their own making.

At the very least they could offer Oscar to pit now or tell him Lando will be coming in first. I don't believe they did so?

OR they could have told Lando BEFORE pitting him that we're pitting you 1 lap before Oscar but to give any undercut place straight back and then race from there. They also failed to do this.

Soldato
I think it was short sighted by McLaren.

They appear to have a car fast enough for both of their drivers to rival and beat Max.

Max is 76 points ahead of Norris now....could have been 69.

There are 11 races left and in a perfect scenario of Mclaren 1,2s with Norris winning and max coming 3rd everytime that is 110 points.

Obviously the above is unlikely, but it could swing either way and it shows it is still fairly possible Norris could win. McLaren could get even luckier if Max has a few DNFs.

If Lando ends up losing the championship by 7 points, McLaren are going to feel very, very sick and Lando would probably be furious.

The problem is that arguement works both ways. If Lando hadn’t have given the place back then actually gets in the title fight, Piastri could refuse to swap at a future race, or other team orders, costing Norris the points to win.

The reality is Norris is currently only really within a mathematical chance of winning the WDC unless they do get lucky with a couple Verstappen DNF’s. But the WCC is within reach as long as Perez keeps Perezing. Norris agreeing to pit first and give the place back is going to cause more disharmony in the team than Norris selfishly taking the win.

As above, if Norris was smart and thinking of the WDC he would have let Piastri passed immediately and overtaken him. He’d get the full points and further his cause that he’s the driver for McLaren to back this season rather than sounding petulant.

Caporegime
As above, if Norris was smart and thinking of the WDC he would have let Piastri passed immediately and overtaken him. He’d get the full points and further his cause that he’s the driver for McLaren to back this season rather than sounding petulant.

I don't think he was going to be allowed to do that though. I read that they weren't allowed to fight/race after lap 44 or something.

Soldato
Not really, they had plenty of time to pit Oscar instead of Lando and then pit Lando a lap later. This is a situation of their own making.
I can’t remember where Hamilton was etc but is there not a chance that if Lando didn’t put then Hamilton literally could have been called in that lap? I dunno.
OR they could have told Lando BEFORE pitting him that we're pitting you 1 lap before Oscar but to give any undercut place straight back and then race from there. They also failed to do this.
That’s basically what they did no? And Lando didn’t do it?
I don't think he was going to be allowed to do that though. I read that they weren't allowed to fight/race after lap 44 or something.
Interesting. I’d imagine the teams can figure out this stuff better than we can regarding pit stop windows etc.

Caporegime

There was a message to Lando emphasising mid-40s related to attacking Piastri, so that would make some sense. McLaren seemed keen to encourage their drivers to preserve their tyres.

Caporegime
I can’t remember where Hamilton was etc but is there not a chance that if Lando didn’t put then Hamilton literally could have been called in that lap? I dunno.

They pitted Norris on lap 45 and Piastri on 47.

I think Lewis was about 10 seconds behind Norris.

I think their strategy team just flubbed it again to be honest. Should have just pit Piastri on 45 and Norris on 46. No way Lewis was going to catch Norris that much in one lap.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Hamilton had pitted a few laps earlier than Lando and taken nearly 5 seconds out of him following that, so they were panicking that they were going to lose the gap

Back
Top Bottom