Poll: Official 2024 Mexico City Grand Prix Race Thread - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez - Race 20/24

Rate the Mexican race out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

• I'm not voting, I just want to see the results

Results are only viewable after voting.
“And? I don't care.”

“Thanks for your permission to have thoughts and opinions.”

These two lines sum up what I expected, half term is always a rough time on forums :p Will leave you to yourself, let you tire yourself out.

Last edited:
Nope. Not in this case. They all know how Max approaches these situations. Its a lose lose outcome. Better to try elsewhere on the track..

So because Max will ram you off you no one should try then ? That's just giving Max the advantage because he will break the rules ? Doesn't seem right

Unfortunately you're still incorrect, in this case, the move was actually legitimately on.

The only reason it wouldn't be, is when the defending driver deliberately tries to drive the overtaking driver off the road or crash the cars.

You can't argue that a move isn't on, just because a particular driver is known to try and cause collisions with other drivers, because by that logic, no move is ever on because such behaviour could be deployed literally anywhere, even on a straight. Nonsense logic.

No. One could see clearly what was going to happen there. Max is well known for how he 'defends' those type of situations. It is nonsense logic to think otherwise my friend.

No. One could see clearly what was going to happen there. Max is well known for how he 'defends' those type of situations. It is nonsense logic to think otherwise my friend.
Repeating your nonsensical opinion won't make it any more correct unfortunately.

Absolutely no chance everyone else should be expected to judge that an overtake isn't on, just because it's Max and they should expect him to be allowed to break the rules.

To see it as 'an impossible' overtake that Norris shouldn't have even attempted is just laughably stupid.

We know the outcome now, hopefully with a bit of consistency - he'll try to run you wide, then incur a 10s penalty for doing so. Sooner or later, even Max will get bored of the penalties and stop doing it.

"Officer, my house was robbed!"

"Yeah, we know the guy who did it. He's always doing it. We're just going to carry on letting him, since everyone knows he does it"

@koolpc what are you suggesting should have happened, and what should happen going forward? Is it that people should not attempt to overtake Max unless they can get it done on a straight and always be able to enter a corner way ahead of him?

To simplify and possibly fix the current issue of running someone out wide and off the track, I can think of two things: (not sure about either. Just thinking out loud)

1: Switch (back?) to a rule which says that if two cars enter a corner and on initial turn ANY PART of EITHER car is alongside the other (no matter how far), then drivers have to leave a cars width minimum from themselves and the side of the track of which the other car is against. So this would include even if someone was overtaking on the outside and had their front wing just about up to the rear tyre of their competitor they were trying to overtake.

2: A shift to using tracks which where possible, self police incidents like this by way of their design in track run off areas. i.e. Instant physical/real performance loss for running wide like grass, gravel, low grip run off area strips.

2 is difficult because we have tracks that we historically like to use, which are also used for Motorcycle racing, which limits things like curbs and runoff. Then we have safety standards to meet. We also don't like to see people get beached causing more safety cars. But perhaps with the use of strips of gravel/grass and THEN tarmac, this might be possible.

EDIT: 1 is also hard for drivers to see/know/decide if someone was "alongside" and will say that they didn't see them. ;)

Last edited:
2: A shift to using tracks which where possible, self police incidents like this by way of their design in track run off areas. i.e. Instant physical/real performance loss for running wide like grass, gravel, low grip run off area strips.

2 is difficult because we have tracks that we historically like to use, which are also used for Motorcycle racing, which limits things like curbs and runoff. Then we have safety standards to meet. We also don't like to see people get beached causing more safety cars. But perhaps with the use of strips of gravel/grass and THEN tarmac, this might be possible.

I don't think this would work - imagine the first Max/Norris incident from today this weekend - Max didn't run wide himself, he just ran Norris wide. So the incentive would be greater - sure Max would get a 10s penalty for not giving the space he was meant to but Norris is beached in the gravel (or has absolutely stood on the brakes and lost about 5 places) - happy days for a championship fight from Max's perspective.

Last edited:
I don't think this would work - imagine the first Max/Norris incident from today this weekend - Max didn't run wide himself, he just ran Norris wide. So the incentive would be greater - sure Max would get a 10s penalty for not giving the space he was meant to but Norris is beached in the gravel (or has absolutely stood on the brakes and lost about 5 places) - happy days for a championship fight from Max's perspective.

Yeah I suppose it would need a harsh penalty for it to be effective enough. Even then, the competitor might be out entirely anyway if they got beached. Hmm. 10 second stop go penalty without being able to touch the car possibly. I guess they could still cruise back to the points. This is effectively what happened this weekend. Max got 20 seconds but still got back points.

No, Max always takes the corner like that. Lando knows this. Impossible to get round Max. Much better / safer places to overtake when going up against Max.

No he doesn't, because he wouldn't be in the right position for the next corner,

If max took that racing line every time he made a lap of the. Circuit he wouldn't be one of the fastest around it.

Back
Top Bottom