• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Ordered MSI one so I'll be along but not until September :)

Awesome mate...like me you're joining at the right time...when the majority of micro-stuttering has been resolved!

I'm really enjoying having the card!

One thing I remembered...all the Battlefield 4 demos shown so far have been done using an HD7990 ;)

Awesome mate...like me you're joining at the right time...when the majority of micro-stuttering has been resolved!

I'm really enjoying having the card!

One thing I remembered...all the Battlefield 4 demos shown so far have been done using an HD7990 ;)

Don't mention that, I'm a notorious worrier :( Do you know where I can get cables for my new PSU? It says it has 0 8 pin connectors so I need 2 of them as it only comes with 2x 6 pin. It is modular.

Edit: I think it's ok actually, it's a Corsair AX 860i and I think it has 2x 6 pin but they both have an extra 2 pin bit if needed.

Last edited:
Don't mention that, I'm a notorious worrier :( Do you know where I can get cables for my new PSU? It says it has 0 8 pin connectors so I need 2 of them as it only comes with 2x 6 pin. It is modular.

Edit: I think it's ok actually, it's a Corsair AX 860i and I think it has 2x 6 pin but they both have an extra 2 pin bit if needed.

Don't worry it's a pleasure of a card to use. The card comes with some 8pin converters in the box should you need one :)

Thought the demo's were quad 7990's lol

Nah mate...one HD7990 :)

http://www.legitreviews.com/battlefield-4-demo-ran-on-amd-radeon-hd-7990-malta-video-card_15327

Last edited:
Also decided to run Tomb Raider at 50hz refresh rate as per the options...means the temps get nowhere near as 91...around 83 with that as a limit!

Looking around the net Tomb Raider seems notorious for high temps.

Bah, all my other bits will be here way before the gfx card, gives me a chance to build the pc though I guess in the meantime. The HIS ones are overdue as well so hopefully won't be too long. If it's released n 30th that's a Friday so won't get until the following Monday earliest, bah I hate waiting but for that price you have to.

Last edited:
No matter what I do, the cores still want to be 6 degrees different and over a few days get to 10+ :(

Even stripped down the water block, re-did the whole water loop, re did paste with a different type and no joy.

Starts of 6+ and over time creeps to now 8+ and I suppose back to 10+ or more.

I suppose I will just have to live with it.

Last edited:
Either way still a power-house of a card...

Already have one 7970GHz so looks like i'll just grab another rather then having to sell my current card and cooler to buy a 7990 and water cooling block.

Bit worried about heat. WC not an option and I have a small case Corsair 550D. ALthough it can have two side fans 120 or 140 so could put 2x AF140 Quiet Editions in there.

Don't go overboard on case cooling, even 20 delta's aren't gonna keep a 7990 at single GPU temps, 90c is probably pretty normal in certain games.

Just got this to replace my 6990 as I was not satisfied with how it ran at 2560x1600.
The 7990 is a step in the right direction. Got a very good deal on the Sapphire one :)

So far I'm happy, and i've got it now under water doing 50 instead of the 85 under load as before on stock cooler.

Just got this to replace my 6990 as I was not satisfied with how it ran at 2560x1600.
The 7990 is a step in the right direction. Got a very good deal on the Sapphire one :)

So far I'm happy, and i've got it now under water doing 50 instead of the 85 under load as before on stock cooler.

Added you to the list mate on the 1st page :) Hope you don't mind

Back
Top Bottom