• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Sweet you got it under water too, mine went from 90+ mining bitcoins to max 60 under h2o

Yeah, H20 is a must for me...been putting blocks on my GPU's forever :)
I usually buy EK, but this time I went back to an old favorite; AquaComputer. Still think EK looks the best though, loved the look of the block I have on my 6990.

Have you tried to clock yours?

Im running the latest 13.8 B2, and using Afterburner. Had some problems in the beginning but after turning of ULPS I get it to run 1100 / 1500 @ 1.21 stable it seems (dont know if the voltage is necessary but i thought i could see som black blocks forming on the screen so gave it a little boost).

Had some problems with memory, so have not tried to clock them anymore.

No problem, like being a member of a small select club ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, H20 is a must for me...been putting blocks on my GPU's forever :)
I usually buy EK, but this time I went back to an old favorite; AquaComputer. Still think EK looks the best though, loved the look of the block I have on my 6990.

Have you tried to clock yours?

Im running the latest 13.8 B2, and using Afterburner. Had some problems in the beginning but after turning of ULPS I get it to run 1100 / 1500 @ 1.21 stable it seems (dont know if the voltage is necessary but i thought i could see som black blocks forming on the screen so gave it a little boost).

Had some problems with memory, so have not tried to clock them anymore.

No problem, like being a member of a small select club ;)

Yes have mine up to 1225/1775 for benching. Using EK water block copper on mine.

I use 13.8 catalyst and MSI AfterBurner beta 14.

Set the volts to 1.3 and set the clocks. Applied disable ULPS and set to unofficial overclock. 20% power set as well.

This is for benching only.

For mining I used 1100/1500 and 1.150v and for gaming / normal I go stock for now.

Are there GPU solutions like there are CPU with a product like the Corsair h100i?
If there was something basic like that I'd do it but did the whole WC thing once, never again.

Are there GPU solutions like there are CPU with a product like the Corsair h100i?
If there was something basic like that I'd do it but did the whole WC thing once, never again.

Not that I have seen for the 7990. Some have modded H100 units to other GPU's. But then you have the VRAM to cool as well.

However there is a Ares 7990 that is knocking around for mega bucks.

See here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-302-AS

Nice but mentally more expensive and power hungry than a AMD 7990, even with a £130 water block included.

Last edited:
Yeah saw that but I have more sense than money ;)

I do wonder if I could just mod a single rad system but Im not that clever and wouldn't know where to start.

That Ares price is a joke, if you really wanted water cooling you could just buy the MSI 7990 and a block and go to a decent computer shop and they'd do the watercooling for you if you weren't comfortable. Not have any mates with experience in WC?

Yeah saw that but I have more sense than money ;)

I do wonder if I could just mod a single rad system but Im not that clever and wouldn't know where to start.

It is not difficult. More than happy to help out here or you can go to the water cooling section for help.

I was in the same boat 1 year ago. Water and PC's do not mix :)

It is very easy, just follow some basic rules.

Buy kit if it scares you too much, at least you know all the parts fit together. The XSPC 360 kit would be good enough if all you want to do is cool the 7990. You might get away with cooling the CPU as well as it will come with a CPU block.

7990 blocks are around £100 - £130 depending on where you get them, the water kits are about £200 - £250 for one with a triple radiator.

This is all assuming you have the case to fit it all in.

Oh I have done a watercooling build before in a Coolermaster Cosmos S case. I just find the whole thing a massive faff when changing cards etc plus this new PC I have opted for quite a small case.
The top will house my h100i CPU cooler but there is space for a 120mm at the back which is what I was thinking you see :)
I may get by just fine on air. I just hate noisy pcs.

Oh I have done a watercooling build before in a Coolermaster Cosmos S case. I just find the whole thing a massive faff when changing cards etc plus this new PC I have opted for quite a small case.
The top will house my h100i CPU cooler but there is space for a 120mm at the back which is what I was thinking you see :)
I may get by just fine on air. I just hate noisy pcs.

The 7990 isn't that noisy really unless you really push it hard. Worst case scenario, leave the side panel off.

I dont like temps above 60 so I started to freak out once I saw the 7990 under load ;)

I have had a couple of cases and found each and every one in need of moding to get the WC in. I just got the fractal design arch midi r2, and they I have done good for us water ppl. My cutting days where gone.

The 7990 isn't that noisy really unless you really push it hard. Worst case scenario, leave the side panel off.

Well I won't be overclocking as I don't feel there is any need for me. Ill just have to wait and see and report back on temps etc running Heaven or something.
Sorry for all the worrying !

My sapphire 7990 arrived today. Took out of box and the fan fell off lmfao.

Anyway the waterblock should arrive soon.

THeres been a few reports about problems with the fans on the Sapphire one. I'm sure the one Cat got, the first person here to get one, had a problem with only one fan of the three working.

THeres been a few reports about problems with the fans on the Sapphire one. I'm sure the one Cat got, the first person here to get one, had a problem with only one fan of the three working.

Yes that was me, 1st Sapphire bought from OC and 2 out of the 3 fans wasn't working.
Extremely surprised that Diagro's whole fan unit fell off. It is supposed to e held on by 8 mini screws. Are you sure it was a "new" one you got and not a return ?

Yes that was me, 1st Sapphire bought from OC and 2 out of the 3 fans wasn't working.
Extremely surprised that Diagro's whole fan unit fell off. It is supposed to e held on by 8 mini screws. Are you sure it was a "new" one you got and not a return ?

It was from ebay cheap due to fan fault. He said one fan didn't work but it seems he tried to fix it.
Its got all its screws in a little bag so can fix it if need be.
Water Block should be here today :)

The card seems ok. It booted into windows fine

It was from REMOVE COMPETITOR cheap due to fan fault. He said one fan didn't work but it seems he tried to fix it.
Its got all its screws in a little bag so can fix it if need be.
Water Block should be here today :)

The card seems ok. It booted into windows fine

What is it with you and buying dodgy cards from there? You must be a gambling man lol.

Haha. I like to save money where I can. And it does have its remaining warranty with ocuk or scam... I need to find out which.

No point in a card not being used eh ;)

Back
Top Bottom