• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

I think this thread will explode with activity very soon ;) Some pre-order deal @ £499.99...who wouldn't want one at that price?! Amazing value for a single card solution!

Just played a good session of Tomb Raider there...91 degrees on one of the cores :eek: although I do realise that game just burns through GPU's lol!

91 degrees is silly hot? Is this with your 7990 o/c?

Small OC on the card, only in Tomb Raider does it reach those temps...everything else hovers around 81 load...bearing in mind I am running it in Micro ATX case guys ;)

Most of the heat seems to exhaust out of the side of the card....so need to change round some of my fans to suck some more of the air out.

Last edited:
Well. A chap on e-bay was selling a Sapphire AMD HD7990 with a broken Fan for £440.
Also found a Waterblock for it for under £100.

SO for £540 i will have a Reference HD7990 in my system by midweek... Thas the same as what i sold my 7990 for so i cant complain.

Was originally bought from Scam or Overclockers so warranty is intact :)

I think this thread will explode with activity very soon ;) Some pre-order deal @ £499.99...who wouldn't want one at that price?! Amazing value for a single card solution!

Just played a good session of Tomb Raider there...91 degrees on one of the cores :eek: although I do realise that game just burns through GPU's lol!

My Sapphire before water cooling went into the 90's when pushed 100% for per longed periods such as mining. The default fan profile only really kicked in around 90% also.

If you are over clocking, check both GPU's are running at your desired voltage with GPUID. Older versions of MSI AB didn't always set them both and it would take several sets of the button to make it stick.

They really kick out some heat these cards and sideways, so side case exhaust is a must.

I reckon you are right, I expect an influx of 7990 owners soon, who wouldn't at 500 notes ?

Well. A chap on e-bay was selling a Sapphire AMD HD7990 with a broken Fan for £440.
Also found a Waterblock for it for under £100.

SO for £540 i will have a Reference HD7990 in my system by midweek... Thas the same as what i sold my 7990 for so i cant complain.

Was originally bought from Scam or Overclockers so warranty is intact :)

Nice, probably the one that was offered me for 600 with a broken fan unit.

My Sapphire before water cooling went into the 90's when pushed 100% for per longed periods such as mining. The default fan profile only really kicked in around 90% also.

If you are over clocking, check both GPU's are running at your desired voltage with GPUID. Older versions of MSI AB didn't always set them both and it would take several sets of the button to make it stick.

They really kick out some heat these cards and sideways, so side case exhaust is a must.

I reckon you are right, I expect an influx of 7990 owners soon, who wouldn't at 500 notes ?

First off...get me on the list Cat ;)

Well I've changed the fans around in my case to a different set and brought the temps down to below the 90's...

88 on GPU2 and 85 on GPU1.

Due to the small nature of my case I have to say the side panel is bloody toasty...could see a slight mod being the solution although I'm not good at the old tech shop style stuff!

I can reorientate my PSU in the case and that will help exhaust some of that hot air out also, so there's that consideration too.

Also not tried reapplying some thermal paste on the GPU's no idea if the stuff they have on it is decent, although I imagine these days it should be!

First off...get me on the list Cat ;)

Well I've changed the fans around in my case to a different set and brought the temps down to below the 90's...

88 on GPU2 and 85 on GPU1.

Due to the small nature of my case I have to say the side panel is bloody toasty...could see a slight mod being the solution although I'm not good at the old tech shop style stuff!

I can reorientate my PSU in the case and that will help exhaust some of that hot air out also, so there's that consideration too.

Also not tried reapplying some thermal paste on the GPU's no idea if the stuff they have on it is decent, although I imagine these days it should be!

Done, on list, can you post your make of card.

It gets extremely toasty to the side of the card :)

I too am wondering about the paste on these cards when they run hot. I have reapplied my paste twice now since water cooling with MX4 and each time the temp differences have creep up back to +10 difference.

I am going to redo mine today with a "stiffer" compound paste and see if it keeps the difference consistent over a week.

Done, on list, can you post your make of card.

It gets extremely toasty to the side of the card :)

I too am wondering about the paste on these cards when they run hot. I have reapplied my paste twice now since water cooling with MX4 and each time the temp differences have creep up back to +10 difference.

I am going to redo mine today with a "stiffer" compound paste and see if it keeps the difference consistent over a week.

I've got some freezing point paste which is pretty tough in all honesty especially compared to the MX2 stuff...need to establish how much I have left though before i take it apart.

Will possibly give it a go LtMatt! Gonna have to get a new CPU Cooler anyways since all of mines are SFF ones and they don't quite keep the 3770k cool when clocked.

Does it work on CPUs and GPUs as well.:p

I noticed a drop on cpu and gpu temps by a few C, this was over Mx2 & 4 and Phanteks paste.

In the big test that stulid did with loads of different pastes, including that diamond stuff, Gelid was the best overall.

Its pretty thick so it should last hopefully. Ocuk stock it, but only a massive tub. You can pick up a tube much cheaper on an auction site.

I never bothered to use the included spreader either, just put a blob in the center and let the compression spread it out.

Back
Top Bottom