• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

All of you having temp problems,

Simply lifting cards with zip ties might not work depending on how you attached them.

Propping up from bottom with a wooden block to take the pressure + a little bit will ensure the heat sinks are pushed against the GPU dies instead of supporting the card.

The flex I am talking about is the smallest amount of heat sink to GPU die gaps that happen as the card warms up and the board separates from the heat sinks at the die level by the smallest amounts giving one gpu higher temps.

That is the way to do it.

Last edited:
All of you having temp problems,

Simply lifting cards with zip ties might not work depending on how you attached them.

Propping up from bottom with a wooden block to take the pressure + a little bit will ensure the heat sinks are pushed against the GPU dies. That is the way to do it.

+1

My way was just a suggestion and Cats way may well be the way to do it. The sag on my card was not that bad at all, a little but nothing major so not much of a problem for me.

No we spit on 7970's here Pete. :p

Just kidding nice clocks. Don't even know why you'd overclock at 1080p in BF4, just not demanding enough to waste the gpu energy.

Because I enjoy the epeen swell of seeing those fps figures :p
Also, I'm pretty sure I get better min/avg too (even if I can't 'feel' the difference). Tbh, I generally run them at 1100-1200, but y'know, it's nice to whack 'em up when the urge takes me :)

Also, other games like Crysis 3 benefit from the extra beef at higher settings.

I'll take that rubbish thing off your hands :D

Sadly, she's destined for the mines.

What kind of temps do you get Petey?

Around 35-45C depending on ambient temps and clocks/voltage/load.

Nice case, is it the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2?

It's a hacked up Corsair 500R :D

heres mine :)
*snip*

Nice!

Last edited:
Hi LtMatt, I have been playing some sleeping dogs today and I noticed my card (7990) was only using up to 36% on each GPU, is there a problem with my card/settings? Sorry for being dumb but I am new to AMD and crossfire. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Its weird because the game will be at 120fps then drop down to less than 30 and the GPU usage never goes very high. I think something in my system is holding this card back but i'm not sure what?

I have just noticed that GPU-Z reports gpu1 as 288.0GB/s while gpu2 says 24.0GB/s is this normal?

Last edited:
I can't help but feel there are a few more c's I can shave though..

I put Arctic Silver back on this morning and it's improved temps a little already, it takes a long time to set, but it's already a small improvement. Not the 8 degree's I was thinking, but 4-6c on gpu2 definitely. Hard to say with gpu1 as the propping up is obviously effecting the temps too.

I have lowered the voltage to 1135mv, this has allowed me to stay around 85c on gpu1 at worst case scenario in Heaven, which is a damn site better than the near 100c temps I was getting earlier in the week. I feel I am still missing a few more degree's somewhere though, so hopefully with a bit more experimenting I can find that and keep gpu1 in the low 80's that will satisfy me that the card is not as dodgy as first thought and go throw some money at water cooling the beast.
It was nice to do a 20 min run of heaven and not hear the fans kick up to hella fast levels when the card hit's above 93c though.

My ASIC's stand at 59.2 and 64.5. Currently at idle they sit 6c apart. Under load, the lower ASIC gpu (gpu1) storms ahead and the gap gets large, as it starts hitting a point where cooling starts controlling it, gpu2 temps start to catch up and the gap hovers between 9-12c. This is something I am pleased with, considering it was a gap of 15-39c previously, depending on fan speed.

Thanks for the update buzz. You have tamed the beast for now and it seems to be more common now Cat has shared his findings too. I have got AB holding the voltages better now, but when CGminer restarts it overwrites the voltage values over AB so when I notice it getting toasty again I have to re-apply the profile in AB which is annoying (i.e. went bed could be hours before I spot it).

What did you think of my case floor idea to mod fans there? Nobody commented (sob) :(

hi guys, thought id post again as I havent really had any luck still. My gigabyte 7990 crashed a few days ago and now only 1 core is being detected, I have spent days trying to fix it via reinstalling new drivers/disabling ulps/ switching PCI-E slots/ fitting it into another PC and still no luck. It is less then 3 weeks old and I know ocuk have no more stock and with xmas coming up posting and everything will be a bitch so I really want to sort the issue out.

Does anyone have any ideas I could try? I just dont get how one of the gpu cores can suddenly stop working. It isnt being detected on MSI afterburner/ gpu-z either or in device manager.

thanks

It seems borked.

Overclockers told me, if I wish to RMA my Gigabyte 7990, they can check to see if Gigabyte have any 7990's in order to replace it with before going ahead with the RMA, so you could try asking if they can check for stock before you send the card back to them. In any case, if this is a terminal issue, then there is little that can be done and only option would be to send it back anyway i'm afraid.

What Motherboard and PSU is in the both PC's mate?

The way I solved the issue on mine (bare in mind I think we had a similar problem, but for different reasons) was I had to go to motherboard settings, find the setting, where I could change from PCI-E Gen 3 to PCI-E Gen 2. It made no difference to performance, but stopped Crossfire from not working.

When you go to Display Adapters in Device Manager, does both gpu's show up, and show up as drivers are successfully installed (IE. no yellow black icon on it).

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Its weird because the game will be at 120fps then drop down to less than 30 and the GPU usage never goes very high. I think something in my system is holding this card back but i'm not sure what?

I have just noticed that GPU-Z reports gpu1 as 288.0GB/s while gpu2 says 24.0GB/s is this normal?

Disable ULPS mate in afterburner. Make sure power limit is at +20% at all times.

Disable ULPS mate in afterburner. Make sure power limit is at +20% at all times.

Thank you for your reply. I have ULPS disabled and +20% power limit in after burner, also I updated to the newly released 13.12 driver but it has not made a difference. I'm pretty sure its something i'm doing wrong or miss understanding as I am fairly ignorant when it comes to these things :confused:

Thank you for your reply. I have ULPS disabled and +20% power limit in after burner, also I updated to the newly released 13.12 driver but it has not made a difference. I'm pretty sure its something i'm doing wrong or miss understanding as I am fairly ignorant when it comes to these things :confused:

Post a firestrike score and url so we can have a look.

It seems borked.

Overclockers told me, if I wish to RMA my Gigabyte 7990, they can check to see if Gigabyte have any 7990's in order to replace it with before going ahead with the RMA, so you could try asking if they can check for stock before you send the card back to them. In any case, if this is a terminal issue, then there is little that can be done and only option would be to send it back anyway i'm afraid.

What Motherboard and PSU is in the both PC's mate?

The way I solved the issue on mine (bare in mind I think we had a similar problem, but for different reasons) was I had to go to motherboard settings, find the setting, where I could change from PCI-E Gen 3 to PCI-E Gen 2. It made no difference to performance, but stopped Crossfire from not working.

When you go to Display Adapters in Device Manager, does both gpu's show up, and show up as drivers are successfully installed (IE. no yellow black icon on it).

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. So what would happen in the scenario that they have no stock? I just sit here with a less then 3 weeks broken card? :confused:

The first motherboard is an asus p8p67 and the second is a recently bought amd board, its strange because my other 7990 is detected perfectly fine by both PC's so I cannot see it being that? But I will give it a try. In the display adapter in device manager, it says a 7900 series is installed and there are no yellow black icons, as I said the first core is detected and working perfectly fine, its just there is no second core being detected, or existing in gpu-z/device manager/afterburner. I will also try LtMatts bios flash to see if that may fix any issue but I really do think now that it is just borked.

I haven't done the RMA, as I managed to get things working right myself. However, whilst in discussions about an RMA they told me this...

Gigabyte repair graphics cards where possible, and will source replacements for EOL products if stock still exists in the channel. We can contact Gigabyte before you return the card to see if stock exists

They might be able to fix it Buzz. :D

:D

Having seen how they slopped the paste on the gpu's (there is bits of paste I can't get off properly as it spread over parts of the board and in between some tiny chips. They used FAR too much paste). I am not so sure how capable they are at actually fixing issues.

I am happy enough with it now, until I can afford to get it under water. It's barely hitting 80c and when it does it comes straight back into the 70's. Under Water it should cool more to the level of the other gpu.

As for supergt's issue. They may be able to fix it. However, my only thinking right now is the gpu has just given up the chase and died. Normally you would at least see some signs of existence even if crossfire link had stopped working. The fact there seems to be no signs of that gpu being present is concerning.

Back
Top Bottom