• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

You need a 7990 block, a pump, a reservoir and I'd recommend a 480 radiator + 6 compression fittings (8 if you're using a separate pump and res) and tubing.

I recommend a 480 rad over a 360 due to finding that an AX360 is pretty hard pushed to keep one of these under 50-60°C. Obviously, it'll depend on your room temps etc.
I've also found that gaming with one of these underwater gets pretty close temps across the two cores, while mining usually shows at least ten degrees difference for some reason...

Here's a solo 7990 rig with a GTX Lite 360 (Yes, those filters need a dust :p):

It's using a DDC pump mounted in an XSPC bay reservoir.
WH9oP3N.jpg.png

I would post the dual 7990 rig with two AX360's but it's ugly as hell :D

Hmmm is this a new driver issue?
I downloaded the witcher 2 in the steam sale.. never had a problem with it in the past but for some reason even now and then the screen just goes a dark blue shade... i can still hear the sound but cant do anything... cant CTRL ALT DEL cant minimize or anything... Just seems it locks up but sounds is still playing so i have to do a hard reset. Its kind of unplayable since it keeps doing that... No issues in any other games so far.

Only thing iv done recently is change the Bios to Matt's and install the new 14.1 drivers... Had no issues before today.

Sigh why do problems just always appear from no where when things are running smooth!

Update... Okay its doing it on others games too... hmmm Screen just goes black and this time on tomb raider the sound just looped so had to do a hard reset.

Last edited:
Went back to 13.11 having the same issue.. Tomb raider just locks up and screen goes black.. have to do a hard reset. Have no idea what to do about it.

Went back to 13.11 having the same issue.. Tomb raider just locks up and screen goes black.. have to do a hard reset. Have no idea what to do about it.

Change the modular power supply cables around, you could have a dodgy connection on power? Also, after removing CAT's, run ATiman Uninstaller.... reboot then try! Run after burner and check temps out and also check that all three fans are spinning!

I'll try that.. It's actually gotten worse N is unusable now.. It just freezes on desktop or the Internet too.. The screen goes all white or it has just a mess of colours and locks N I have to hard reset... Also a couple times it came up saying it lost the connection to the monitor and the monitor goes into standby.. This all happened yesterday out of nowhere so not sure what started it.. Maybe my gpu has died? I had no issues at all before yesterday now it looks up with either a black screen.. White screen or a mess of colours. I formatted and that didn't do a thing.

Possibly take fan off ertc and check board out for blown or burn outs... however if it's under warranty, I wouldn't lol and just get it RMA'd... however, wold still swap psu cables around etc just to make sure it's getting power.

I'll try that.. It's actually gotten worse N is unusable now.. It just freezes on desktop or the Internet too.. The screen goes all white or it has just a mess of colours and locks N I have to hard reset... Also a couple times it came up saying it lost the connection to the monitor and the monitor goes into standby.. This all happened yesterday out of nowhere so not sure what started it.. Maybe my gpu has died? I had no issues at all before yesterday now it looks up with either a black screen.. White screen or a mess of colours. I formatted and that didn't do a thing.

My one seemed to degrade over time. Odd freeze, then I analysed temps and kept it under-volted. Couple of weeks later I got more issues and checked wiring, eventually I got the rainbow screen and could not game or run heaven so RMA time.

My one seemed to degrade over time. Odd freeze, then I analysed temps and kept it under-volted. Couple of weeks later I got more issues and checked wiring, eventually I got the rainbow screen and could not game or run heaven so RMA time.

Yeah I got the rainbow screen a few times. At the moment im running the PC without drivers installed. Im just using whatever Windows 8 stuck in.
Its fine for now... but im pretty sure soon as I install proper drivers it will start locking up again.
The thing that sucks though is that if I have to RMA im losing out on an amazing card that I got for £400 and theres no card as good in my opinion for that price range... the 290x isn't as fast and theres no more 7990 cards.
iv switched cables around so I guess I should put in the newest drivers and try again and see what happenes.

Possibly take fan off ertc and check board out for blown or burn outs... however if it's under warranty, I wouldn't lol and just get it RMA'd... however, wold still swap psu cables around etc just to make sure it's getting power.

Yeah iv swapped cables over and just reinstalled windows 8. I really didn't want to RMA this as you can't get another 7990 now especially for the same price so id have no idea what to get. Id lose out on 20-30% speed if I got a 290x with the money that I would get from it.
Anyways iv formatted... Just about to install 14.1 drivers...Took all my overclocks off so will see what happenes there.

try the 13.12's if I was you.

As for replacing the 7990, well like you say there isn't anything out there that's quicker... hence why I bought two lol... great cards only downside is heat, but I've sorted that now.

Last edited:
hey guys,

i have a 7990 at stock paired with a [email protected].

now when BF4 was first released, i was getting 90-120FPS easy, not it struggles to keep at 60FPS :(

why is this? issue with the game? or drivers? other games play amazing, sleeping dogs tomb raider etc

thanks

hey guys,

i have a 7990 at stock paired with a [email protected].

now when BF4 was first released, i was getting 90-120FPS easy, not it struggles to keep at 60FPS :(

why is this? issue with the game? or drivers? other games play amazing, sleeping dogs tomb raider etc

thanks

Bottleneck central ill bet boyo. I would suggest overclocking that cpu as much as possible, as well as disabling ULPS. BF4 online very heavy on the cpu. Best bet would be to stick to 32 man or lower servers to reduce the strain on your cpu. Why you got higher initially, ive no idea but your cpu is the weak part of the system. A 7990 does not perform very well if the cpu is weak in bf4 i don't think.

It was fine on release day, happy at 90-120fps, i have not changed anything in my system since, i have disabled ULPS already, I have not used your BIOS tho, could my 7990 be throttling?

It was fine on release day, happy at 90-120fps, i have not changed anything in my system since, i have disabled ULPS already, I have not used your BIOS tho, could my 7990 be throttling?

Could be but i doubt the fps drop would be that severe. Gpu overlays will tell you if your cpu is at fault. If gpu usage drops from 99% when you get the fps drops then you know your cpu is not up to the task. My money is on your cpu.

GPU Overlays Setup.

Bottleneck central ill bet boyo. I would suggest overclocking that cpu as much as possible, as well as disabling ULPS. BF4 online very heavy on the cpu. Best bet would be to stick to 32 man or lower servers to reduce the strain on your cpu. Why you got higher initially, ive no idea but your cpu is the weak part of the system. A 7990 does not perform very well if the cpu is weak in bf4 i don't think.

I played it with the same CPU and the 7990 breezed through it at 4.8Ghz. I experienced no bottleneck or stuttering and had settings on ultra. The CPU graphs always hovered around 80% each core, but some label "bottleneck" differently.

Back
Top Bottom