• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

If you reduce the Voltage you'll get at least 10-15C drop... maybe the were fiddled who knows. Full chat on quadfire 7990's for me is around 85C tops... with voltage at 1.125v. At default 1.200v I hit around 96-100C.

Pain in the arse having to fart around with it, I'm tempted to take it apart and redo the thermal compound. If 90c plus seems to be the norm for retail cards on stock voltage something very dodgy was obviously going on with the review samples. :mad:

Pain in the arse having to fart around with it, I'm tempted to take it apart and redo the thermal compound. If 90c plus seems to be the norm for retail cards on stock voltage something very dodgy was obviously going on with the review samples. :mad:

Crossfire always requires some kind if messing around. I wish they would make it true plug and play. Not fiddle with these drivers, those voltages, these third party applications etc etc.

Well seems like ive found the cause of my dodgy temps, a few of the fans seem intermittent at best. Playing crysis 3 last night and the temps climbed to 103c, :eek: just as well I had afterburner on. Exited the game and looked inside my case only to see 2 of the fans just sitting twitching with the middle fan spinning normally. Shut the pc down and left it to cool, booted it later on and all 3 fans just sit and do nothing, at the minute I'm using an old 7500 pci card just to get online. :(

Not really sure what to do, I can buy some replacement fans from an ebay listing I've seen, id prefer not to go down the rma route as obviously the card is EOL and id presume id end up with a credit note or something or a lesser performing card. It is an ASUS card after all and I've had some really bad service from them in the past. Card works fine just the fans seem to have cacked the bed.

Sigh, so much for optimism. temps were better with single screen. Throw Eyefinity into the mix and the temps are rocketing to 102c even in battlefield 4, it got so hot at one point gpu1 throttled back to 2d clocks and that's the first I've ever seen it do that, that I've noticed anyway :(

Totally insane given the three fans and the fairly chunky heat sinks this card has.

Bit warm that. Temps will normally never be equal unless case cooling manages to reach the card equally. You have positive or negative pressure? How are your fans set up in that FT02?

I modded my case with an extra fan pointing directly at the GPU but it never got past 90 even in the summer.

I see you asked for LtMatt's BIOS in the Mantle thread though I can only see this making it hotter as it doesnt throttle back to 950Mhz but stays at 1000Mhz As you have reapplied the thermal paste of better quality we can rule out any problems there. If it were me I'd be rearranging my case fans or speeding them up with a profile, need to get that heat away from the GPU, unless you unfortunately just have a hot card though you are the first I've read about if this is the case. LEave the side off the case and run it again for temps.

Best

Bit warm that. Temps will normally never be equal unless case cooling manages to reach the card equally. You have positive or negative pressure? How are your fans set up in that FT02?

I modded my case with an extra fan pointing directly at the GPU but it never got past 90 even in the summer.

I see you asked for LtMatt's BIOS in the Mantle thread though I can only see this making it hotter as it doesnt throttle back to 950Mhz but stays at 1000Mhz As you have reapplied the thermal paste of better quality we can rule out any problems there. If it were me I'd be rearranging my case fans or speeding them up with a profile, need to get that heat away from the GPU, unless you unfortunately just have a hot card though you are the first I've read about if this is the case. LEave the side off the case and run it again for temps.

Best

Looking into buying a pci fan to have it pointed directly at the card, annoying to have to get extras so the card doesn't cook itself though =/

Ed: ended up buying a "titan" vga cooler, looks like it should be upto the job :) Really chaffs my arse that the 7990 review samples all conveniently ran 75-80c yet plenty of retail ones are hitting mid 90's :(

Not tried matts bios yet.

Last edited:
I found that my 7990 ran hot but with some testing I found the best solution for me was to us LTMatt's bios, under volt the card can go as low as 1100mv and stock core and memory speeds, and unless I am running a benchmark it doesn't really get above 85c. My case is a cosmos s and the side panel fan makes a huge difference as most of the heat is ejected from the top of the card so having the fan exhaust helps a lot. I have also noticed core 1 is always hotter than the second one by a few degrees. I have thought about replacing the thermal compound but don't want to invalidate any warranty.

Don't forget that test reviews they run the system on an open chassis. this negates any bias from a particular case on the GPU.

Adding A PCI fan won't help remove the warm air from the case it will just circulate it within the case faster. I added an extra fan drawing fresh air from outside the and case mounted it on the window at the same height as the fans drawing the air into the card. The 7990 blows the air into the case and only exhausts some out of the rear of the case.

If the air coming out of the exhaust case fans is warm or very warm then there is insufficint flow through the case. That FT02 isn't the biggest case going but has plenty of fans, just make sure you have the correct setup where there are enough exhausting as there is supplying the case, especially if they run at different speeds.

As sgavan says, undervolting - this is an excellent way of lowering temps. I couldnt undervolt much before it became unstable.

Do you have your mobo controlling your fans or run them stock off the PSU?

I use to have problems with my 7990 getting hot and the case side panel would get very hot.

I did what Woodsta888 has said, I rearranged the fan setup in my case and replaced the front case fan, added a fan on the side panel and bought a Akasa FLEXA FP5S 5 Fan PWM Controller. Then setup a profile for my case fans, now every thing is really cool. In total I have 5 case fans now, 3 drawing air in from the front, bottom, side and 2 taking air out from the rear and top. I also bought some SST-Aeroslots-BP PCI Slot Covers which also seem to help.

Undervolt your card when you do to keep temps down. 1.125v-1.150v should be plenty for clocks of 1000/1500 on a 7990.

This. Mine runs happily at 1.135v and very rarely goes beyond 85-90C. Could go cooler, but don't want too many case fans due to noise. An exhaust fan near the card is essential though to remove the hot air that it dumps inside the case (and obviously a fan(s) brining in fresh air).

Back
Top Bottom