• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

I hear you,

annoyingly I am too impatient so I have ordered the MSI 7990 :(

Don't give us the :(

Be :D that you're joining the proud few :p

Have to admit I feel so much better being back to my small case again with my HD7990 in tow! I was going to attempt to see how it coped in a SG01-F however I'm pretty sure the M3 Sniper I'm using doesn't provide x16 PCI-E on the second slot which is where I'd be looking to place the card.

Last edited:
the reason for me going with a 7990 is over the past few years, nividia cards have always been slightly better than the newly released ati/amd cards....

7970 was a little down on the gtx680.....

for this reason im going to assume that the new 9790 will not be better than the current gtx780 , and will probably be around £450 - £500 at launch.....

I would also say that 2 x 7950s in xfire will be on par with the 9790 as in the past 2 x 6950s were on par with the current 7970

the only big step will be when amd release a dual gpu card again in a 9990

which will be within 2 x 9790s.....

probably talking crap but my 2ps worth

the reason for me going with a 7990 is over the past few years, nividia cards have always been slightly better than the newly released ati/amd cards....

for this reason im going to assume that the new 9790 will not be better than the current gtx780 , and will probably be around £450 - £500 at launch.....

I would also say that 2 x 7950s in xfire will be on par with the 9790 as in the past 2 x 6950s were on par with the current 7970

9970 will be more like 1.6 x a 7970. Its the same 28nm tech.
Next year will be the 2 x current gen on 20nm chips

I do wonder how much better the 9 series will be over the 7990. I have read a bit around the net and many seem to hint that the 9 series could be around the same price as the 7990. Surely not that much better then?

A 7990 will still beat a 9970 as theres no way they will double the performance of a 7970 for their top end single card.

My opinion is the 9970 will be 30% faster than a 7970 with increases in speed via drivers down the line ,ah la 7970

The way I see it is - Albeit with some issues of coil wine on the 7990's

For £500 you get within 5% of 2x 7970 cards in a single card with almost half the power consumption. Considering the price of 7970 cards, this is a bargain.

The new 9000 series will only be a slight (25% max is my guess) improvement and unless you spend and get 2 of the 9970 cards, bound to be close to £1000 then the 7990 is the obvious choice.

I'm happy with my 7990, just completed Last Light and had no stutter at all with the 13.8 B2 drivers. All maxed out at 2560x1600 (but without Phys-x)...

Good bump from my 6990

Could one use this in a Bitfenix Prodigy (the ITX version) without having to worry about things getting a bit hot?

Not sure really.

1. Will the card fit, it is huge in length ?
2. The case doesn't appear to have any side venting / fans. This card kicks it heat out (a lot of it) directly sideways.

If you went water cooled, then assuming fits case, should be good

A 7990 will still beat a 9970 as theres no way they will double the performance of a 7970 for their top end single card.

My opinion is the 9970 will be 30% faster than a 7970 with increases in speed via drivers down the line ,ah la 7970

Unless they make a big chip.
which might trow things out of wack a bit.

7990 however is fast especially with recent driver

Don't give us the :(

Be :D that you're joining the proud few :p

Have to admit I feel so much better being back to my small case again with my HD7990 in tow! I was going to attempt to see how it coped in a SG01-F however I'm pretty sure the M3 Sniper I'm using doesn't provide x16 PCI-E on the second slot which is where I'd be looking to place the card.

:D I did feel guilty about the frown. It was only aimed at my impatience!

I am really looking forward to this card arriving, should be Friday shouldn't it?

Not sure really.

1. Will the card fit, it is huge in length ?
2. The case doesn't appear to have any side venting / fans. This card kicks it heat out (a lot of it) directly sideways.

If you went water cooled, then assuming fits case, should be good

It will fit with the HDD bays removed.

I wasn't planning on watercooling. Would I be right in thinking that the 7990 expels most of its heat out of the top (the 'top' from the perspective of one facing the fans - not sure if that's what you meant by 'sideways)? If so, that should be ok due to the way the motherboard is mounted in the Prodigy. Presumably exhaust fans in the top of the case would do the trick.

The 69XX gen was a throwaway, terrible gen. Can't base any numbers on that.

The 9970 will probably be around +30% on the high side, unless AMD are willing to let it get very hot with bad yields like nVidia do. This used to be the way it was done across the board but the two companies parted ways philosophically speaking with the 4000 series.

It will fit with the HDD bays removed.

I wasn't planning on watercooling. Would I be right in thinking that the 7990 expels most of its heat out of the top (the 'top' from the perspective of one facing the fans - not sure if that's what you meant by 'sideways)? If so, that should be ok due to the way the motherboard is mounted in the Prodigy. Presumably exhaust fans in the top of the case would do the trick.

Yes, hold the card in your hands vertical and longside horizontal with the fans facing you. The heat is expelled from the top, ie 90 degrees from the fan face.

When put into a case, normally it would expel towards the side of the case with the orientation most cards are put in PCIE slots.

With your case. Prodigy, then if it mounts the MB differently then expelling air directly upwards in the case would be good. Basically as long as you have the means to get the hot air (lots of it) out of the case you should be fine.

Yes, hold the card in your hands vertical and longside horizontal with the fans facing you. The heat is expelled from the top, ie 90 degrees from the fan face.

When put into a case, normally it would expel towards the side of the case with the orientation most cards are put in PCIE slots.

With your case. Prodigy, then if it mounts the MB differently then expelling air directly upwards in the case would be good. Basically as long as you have the means to get the hot air (lots of it) out of the case you should be fine.

Good stuff. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom