• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Yeah I'm on 13.8 with framepacing on.

Just ran a couple of more tests with a slightly different clock.

Volts - 1225mV
Core - 1120MHz
Memory - 1700MHz

Heaven - 1850 at 86c
Valley - 3754 at 85c

It appears I am not going to get above 1120MHz on the core sadly, I have not tried to go above 1700MHz on the memory yet but I will at some point.

Overall I am a little disappointed at the core clocking of the 7990, I was hoping to at least get to 1200MHz :(

Leave the memory at stock 1500mhz and focus on the core. You might get more from it. 7970 is not short of bandwidth so the memory overclock should be an afterthought.

I wouldn't be disappointed with that, many 7970's won't even hit 1200 unless you send 1.25v+ through them. With it being a dual and hot card I'd say 1120 is fine.

My last card was a 7970 and I got 1220MHz and 1680MHz and was over the moon with that, I guess my expectations to get near that with the 7990 were a little high.

Tried:
1150/1700 @ 1240mV

Heaven - 1840

1170/1700 @ 1240mV
Heaven - 1858

Might make 1180 but I'll hold off for now.

This benching stuff is one thing, but its real game performance Im after ;)

Heh I wish I could hit 1170MHz, indeed I am more for gaming performance and I have no concerns about that with this card.

Leave the memory at stock 1500mhz and focus on the core. You might get more from it. 7970 is not short of bandwidth so the memory overclock should be an afterthought.

Yeah ok I will have another go tomorrow on the core, all tests so far though won't allow it to go above 1120MHz.

With the volts how high is safe? Bear in mind I'm only using air as a coolant and 1250mV on the volts takes it up to 90C with fans at 100%

This benching stuff is one thing, but its real game performance Im after ;)

Agreed. Actual gaming performance is the only thing that means anything to me.

Yeah ok I will have another go tomorrow on the core, all tests so far though won't allow it to go above 1120MHz.

With the volts how high is safe? Bear in mind I'm only using air as a coolant and 1250mV on the volts takes it up to 90C with fans at 100%

Have you tried seeing what voltage you can use on stock clocks/volts? 1000/1500 or even 1050/1500. You might be able to lower volts enough to bring temps down. Once you find the lowest stable voltage you should then start bumping the core up in 25mhz segments until you hit instability. Then add another two notches of core voltage and test again. Sometimes with these chips less is more regarding voltage. Too much voltage can heat the card up more and that ends up causing artifacts and or crashing.

Up to 1.25v is perfectly safe. 1.3v should be fine, if you can keep it cool enough. I'd try and find a balance of decent clocks at the lowest possible voltage to keep temps down if it was me with a 7990. It will be plenty fast at 1050/1500.

Exactly, everything else is bull**** :D

Amen.

Lets see what AMD is coming up with...
maybe I will replace my 2x7950s for 2x7990s

But I'm not sure how 4x way crossfire is scalling, I know that 3x is OK, how is the scalling on 4x?

Agreed. Actual gaming performance is the only thing that means anything to me.

Have you tried seeing what voltage you can use on stock clocks/volts? 1000/1500 or even 1050/1500. You might be able to lower volts enough to bring temps down. Once you find the lowest stable voltage you should then start bumping the core up in 25mhz segments until you hit instability. Then add another two notches of core voltage and test again. Sometimes with these chips less is more regarding voltage. Too much voltage can heat the card up more and that ends up causing artifacts and or crashing.

Up to 1.25v is perfectly safe. 1.3v should be fine, if you can keep it cool enough. I'd try and find a balance of decent clocks at the lowest possible voltage to keep temps down if it was me with a 7990. It will be plenty fast at 1050/1500.

Amen.

So I used what you said and started with just core, I have managed to get the core to...

Volts - 1235 Mv
Core - 1130 Mhz
Memory - 1500 Mhz

1130 MHz is as far as this card wants to go before I get artifacts even with more volts it won't run without artifacts, the temps stay at about 83C also which I am fine with.

Now to start pushing the memory!

So I used what you said and started with just core, I have managed to get the core to...

Volts - 1235 Mv
Core - 1130 Mhz
Memory - 1500 Mhz

1130 MHz is as far as this card wants to go before I get artifacts even with more volts it won't run without artifacts, the temps stay at about 83C also which I am fine with.

Now to start pushing the memory!

Atta boy. 1100/1600 would be a good 24/7 clock imo. Lower that voltage as much as you can then enjoy the card.

Atta boy. 1100/1600 would be a good 24/7 clock imo. Lower that voltage as much as you can then enjoy the card.

I will take that expert advice and use those exact settings. No point pushing it further, besides I'm only in it for gaming at max settings instead of benchmark scores!

Quick query, when running Valley / Heaven very small flashes, looks like a star flashing in the distance for a split second occasionally, is that a sign of needing more volts or an unstable clock or is a small thing like that to be expected?

I will take that expert advice and use those exact settings. No point pushing it further, besides I'm only in it for gaming at max settings instead of benchmark scores!

Quick query, when running Valley / Heaven very small flashes, looks like a star flashing in the distance for a split second occasionally, is that a sign of needing more volts or an unstable clock or is a small thing like that to be expected?

That's the sign that the core clock is struggling. Drop the core clock until the flashes go away. If you can't get 1100 stable then drop down to 1075, or even 1050. Keep lowering that core voltage as much as you can. It might take some patience and time but eventually you'll reach a nice balance of speed vs temps. The best way to check for stability is to play any current dx11 game that pegs both gpu's at 99%. If you get a crash, bump the voltage one notch and try again till it doesn't crash any more.

That's the sign that the core clock is struggling. Drop the core clock until the flashes go away. If you can't get 1100 stable then drop down to 1075, or even 1050. Keep lowering that core voltage as much as you can. It might take some patience and time but eventually you'll reach a nice balance of speed vs temps. The best way to check for stability is to play any current dx11 game that pegs both gpu's at 99%. If you get a crash, bump the voltage one notch and try again till it doesn't crash any more.

Using Valley and Heaven I am at...

Voltage - 1165mV
Core - 1100MHz
Memory - 1600MHz

Valley score - 3695
Heaven score - 1806

I'm happy with that, temps are hitting 87C max but that is with the fan on autofan, I can't have it on 100% 24/7, my ears would bleed :D

87C ok temperature wise? I don't think it will hit that actually gaming?

Just as in indicator, in order to max your cores you need to be running under 50C. The fact that you are running those clocks at 87C is impressive but not something I would personally do if you plan on keeping the cards longer than 12 months.

Just as in indicator, in order to max your cores you need to be running under 50C. The fact that you are running those clocks at 87C is impressive but not something I would personally do if you plan on keeping the cards longer than 12 months.

Even at factory settings the card won't run below 50C, it hasn't since I got it.

I only have air cooling also.

Using Valley and Heaven I am at...

Voltage - 1165mV
Core - 1100MHz
Memory - 1600MHz

Valley score - 3695
Heaven score - 1806

I'm happy with that, temps are hitting 87C max but that is with the fan on autofan, I can't have it on 100% 24/7, my ears would bleed :D

87C ok temperature wise? I don't think it will hit that actually gaming?

Can you lower the voltage further? Every little helps.

I'd create a custom fan curve if i was you using afterburner. You can probably brings temps down a bit more whilst not making the cooler much louder. Cooler is always better.

That said these cards are built to operate in the 80-90c range so don;t worry about running that temp 24/7. As said though, the cooler the better.

Can you lower the voltage further? Every little helps.

I'd create a custom fan curve if i was you using afterburner. You can probably brings temps down a bit more whilst not making the cooler much louder. Cooler is always better.

That said these cards are built to operate in the 80-90c range so don;t worry about running that temp 24/7. As said though, the cooler the better.

Valley crashed on 1150mV. Tomorrow I will try to get it down a little further, I have 1165mV currently so I will try at 1155mV and then 1160mV if not.

So I just checked my fans and found one of my side fans was intaking rather than exhausting. I sorted it and max temp was 78C.

Valley crashed on 1150mV. Tomorrow I will try to get it down a little further, I have 1165mV currently so I will try at 1155mV and then 1160mV if not.

So I just checked my fans and found one of my side fans was intaking rather than exhausting. I sorted it and max temp was 78C.

Good lad.

I find to be fully game stable you need one to two notches of extra voltage over Unigine Valley stable. 1.165v might be your golden voltage.

Even at factory settings the card won't run below 50C, it hasn't since I got it.

I only have air cooling also.

Sorry, what I meant to say was a general thing to those in the thread possibly wondering why their cores are not getting to 1.2ghz. They really need to go underwater to breach it.

Good lad.

I find to be fully game stable you need one to two notches of extra voltage over Unigine Valley stable. 1.165v might be your golden voltage.

I think I will just leave it at that the, also winter is coming so temps should get even lower soon.

Sorry, what I meant to say was a general thing to those in the thread possibly wondering why their cores are not getting to 1.2ghz. They really need to go underwater to breach it.

Ah ok, yeah the card is a hot runner to be fair. I'd love to go underwater but at the minute it isn't possible.

Back
Top Bottom