• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

ops...sorry about that...

yep they are watercooled..with normal gaming, around 50s.....but when full force mining....72 hee hee

Just making sure you didn't get the yellow text of death on your sig ;)

Ah, watercooled, thanks for letting me know. I want two at that price but I don't wish to WC them. I have heard negative stories about temps

Hi all, 1st post. Been reading this thread with interest. I bought 7990 when frame pacing drivers and price drop made it a good deal. I did order the lower spec one from scam but they sent me the higher specced VTX card. By mistake or coz they didnt have any lower priced ones left I dunno. This was before branded cards were below £600 other wise I'd have gone for the £499 MSI.

My rig runs a sandy 2500k at 4.4Ghz an old 650W Antec true power trio with 6 pin PCI-E with 8 pin adapters. AND I'm running it in PCI-E 2.0 as difference was 1% from what I read. So far very pleased with performance at 1920x1200. Both cores will run at 100%/boosting when playing Crysis 3. BF3 and Crysis 3 have been very smooth though I never experience xfire microstutter as I never ran pre 13.8 drivers.

Idle 38 degrees and load high 80's. The ASIC quality isnt great and was wondering what other owners had in ASIC quality. Mine is 63% and 66% respectively. I was wondering if the branded cards has higher ASIC quality thus better OC'ers. Not OC'd mine yet as little point in what I'm losing a bit through PCI-E 2.0. Any views on whether my PCI-E 2.o would be bottlenecking though the card boosts in Crysis 3 so I thought not. I know I may lose 1% from what I have read in PCI-E 2 vs 3 reviews.

Thanks in advance

Hi all, 1st post. Been reading this thread with interest. I bought 7990 when frame pacing drivers and price drop made it a good deal. I did order the lower spec one from scam but they sent me the higher specced VTX card. By mistake or coz they didnt have any lower priced ones left I dunno. This was before branded cards were below £600 other wise I'd have gone for the £499 MSI.

My rig runs a sandy 2500k at 4.4Ghz an old 650W Antec true power trio with 6 pin PCI-E with 8 pin adapters. AND I'm running it in PCI-E 2.0 as difference was 1% from what I read. So far very pleased with performance at 1920x1200. Both cores will run at 100%/boosting when playing Crysis 3. BF3 and Crysis 3 have been very smooth though I never experience xfire microstutter as I never ran pre 13.8 drivers.

Idle 38 degrees and load high 80's. The ASIC quality isnt great and was wondering what other owners had in ASIC quality. Mine is 63% and 66% respectively. I was wondering if the branded cards has higher ASIC quality thus better OC'ers. Not OC'd mine yet as little point in what I'm losing a bit through PCI-E 2.0. Any views on whether my PCI-E 2.o would be bottlenecking though the card boosts in Crysis 3 so I thought not. I know I may lose 1% from what I have read in PCI-E 2 vs 3 reviews.

Thanks in advance

Going from PCIE 2.0 to 3.0 with a dual card solution isn't bringing much performance penalty. You loose 1-2 FPS at max at your current resolution of 1920x1200.

Asic quality is very subjective. Some of the best clockers are at the 60% territory, and others at the 90% territory. Do not worry about it.

You will not miss anything with PCI-E 2.0 x16 vs 3.0. Don't worry about that either :P

However, your 650W PSU will be at it's limit on your system, since you have also OC'd your CPU. Running at max load is not a problem of course, it will wear out your PSU quicker and make it noisier, but as it's a decent quality one, you'll probably run fine for years.

Thanks for your replies. My PSU is already 7 years old and was good performance/value at the time but probably in terms of efficiency ratings (bronze, silver, gold, platinum), make a 'cast iron' rating for efficiency. By no means was it a true 'performance' PSU.

A new one is on my shopping list but like anything - if it aint broke. I was told that PSU's are better if they run in the top 20% of their rating for Watts by a well informed freind.

I DL's the Uningine valley benchhmark last night but unfortunately my res is difficult to make a comparison. If I select a different resolution e.g. 1920x1080 from the list will it bench it as that res or does my monitor have to be the resolution required.? Do I run it at Extreme HD and 8x AA for single monitor? I did look for the settings but it only lists actuals for the multi monitor set up. Sorry for the noob questions.

Best

Woodsta

So...is everyone a happy 7990 owner with Mantle announced? Certainly looking to see how much further this thing will stretch its legs in the future! Plus nothing announced to best it ;)

So...is everyone a happy 7990 owner with Mantle announced? Certainly looking to see how much further this thing will stretch its legs in the future! Plus nothing announced to best it ;)

Certainly, even the new AMD cards (even with Mantle) won't touch the 7990 with 2x7970 cores and at sub £500. WOW.... (although I did get mine the day they were released at £840, but had months of a 7990 before the drop)

Last edited:
My brother lives in Holland and apparently you can get Club3D's reference 7990 for just under £400. Worth going for? Also, any idea if I could just order it to his place, then have him bring it over for me with no trouble from the tax man?

My brother lives in Holland and apparently you can get Club3D's reference 7990 for just under £400. Worth going for? Also, any idea if I could just order it to his place, then have him bring it over for me with no trouble from the tax man?

Yes you could do that without a problem. it's Europe, not the US.

Back
Top Bottom