• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

What would the performance difference be between one of these and 2x5870 in crossfire...I only have a 1080p monitor and my 5870's overclocked are still able to max things out but im hoping to upgrade soon and with the new 290 cards comming out im not sure what to go for.
I'm thinking maybe i should wait till the 290 comes out first before deciding.

Which would be the best 7990 to go for? the HIS or the Gigaqbyte since those are the only ones on here under £500.

Also how does a duel GPU card work on one PCB...As when i was crossfiring 2 x 5870 cards i had one running on the x16 slot and the other slot was only x4 so i was losing a lot there.

Which one did you go for? I was waiting for the 290x but thinking about just getting one of these instead before the price jumps up. Dont know whether to get the HIS or the Gigabyte one though.

Cheers chaps well it was looking good, cpu temps were disappointing what with my bricklaying tim on :)
After a few re-applies I ended up taking that alphacool cpu block out and replacing it with an ek supreme should have stuck with what I know from the beginning.

And who the heck ..... I mean how did I fall for windows 8.1 its a tad better than 8 but my machine was dropping out all over the place ..... just when I thought I was in sight of 3600 on heaven 4 tooo grrrrrr :)

The rads are alphacool :)

Does a dual GPU card / crossfire setup have a higher CPU overhead than a single similar performance GPU (granted that there isn't a single GPU = 7990). I am wondering how much CPU all that frame pacing, data and workload management uses up.

Would an older CPU like mine cope better with a single GPU setup?

Hmm, just been reading the 7990 vs 690 frame pacing article on Tom's and it has really put me off the 7990. Very disappointing to read that there are still major problems with some high profile games. One of the worst according to their (small) user sample is Metro Last Light which is one of the games on my "to play" stack.

I guess the safer option is to wait for the 290X.

Back
Top Bottom