• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Well BF4 for me isnt what I'd quite hoped performance wise but I guess it's still in beta. By i5 @4.5ghz was maxed but both cores on 7990 only at 50% load. :confused:

So looks like there's a lot of work for the CPU in BF4.

Changing the graphical settings only made a small difference. With everything at ULTRA post processing off, motion blur off, I'm getting 38 fps average and dropping below 20 when hectic. Gpu's load in the late forties maybe into 50%.

Wont make any assumptions until the full release of the game but many i5's are struggling. Would be interested to hear from other 7990 owners how they have fared in BF4 beta. Those with i7's or 8 core AMD's may fare better.

Other than the performance issues I have found the beta enjoyable for the 4 hrs I played.

Best

Well BF4 for me isnt what I'd quite hoped performance wise but I guess it's still in beta. By i5 @4.5ghz was maxed but both cores on 7990 only at 50% load. :confused:

Changing the graphical settings only made a small difference. With everything at ULTRA post processing off, motion blur off, I'm getting 38 fps average and dropping below 20 when hectic. Gpu's load in the late forties maybe into 50%.

Wont make any assumptions until the full release of the game but many i5's are struggling. Would be interested to hear from other 7990 owners how they have fared in BF4 beta. Those with i7's or 8 core AMD's may fare better.

Other than the performance issues I have found the beta enjoyable for the 4 hrs I played.

Best

I have a 4.7Ghz 3930K and a water cooled 7990 and could try it.

Where can you get the BF4 Beta from ?

Cheers chaps well it was looking good, cpu temps were disappointing what with my bricklaying tim on :)
After a few re-applies I ended up taking that alphacool cpu block out and replacing it with an ek supreme should have stuck with what I know from the beginning.

And who the heck ..... I mean how did I fall for windows 8.1 its a tad better than 8 but my machine was dropping out all over the place ..... just when I thought I was in sight of 3600 on heaven 4 tooo grrrrrr :)

The rads are alphacool :)

ToxicBag - What PSU are you using for this setup with 2x7990. Been thinking about getting another for my rig, but only have a 850w corsair and it will probably be too little juice.

I have a 4.7Ghz 3930K and a water cooled 7990 and could try it.

Where can you get the BF4 Beta from ?

BF3 premium, MOH warfighter owners and BF4 preorder people got access yestreday. I'm unsure if it's only these that get access though I did read that on 4th october it may become completely open, or maybe that was the consoles get the beta. I guess it would have appeared inyour Origin account if you had any of the pre-requisites to the beta. The download is 5GB for the beta. Good luck.

I'm sure someone will be along to correct me shortly. I see others from this thread are in the BF4 benchmarks thread, discussing at length BF4 and it's beta issues with vram limits and CPU bottlenecking etc. Interesting.

BF3 premium, MOH warfighter owners and BF4 preorder people got access yestreday. I'm unsure if it's only these that get access though I did read that on 4th october it may become completely open, or maybe that was the consoles get the beta. I guess it would have appeared inyour Origin account if you had any of the pre-requisites to the beta. The download is 5GB for the beta. Good luck.

I'm sure someone will be along to correct me shortly. I see others from this thread are in the BF4 benchmarks thread, discussing at length BF4 and it's beta issues with vram limits and CPU bottlenecking etc. Interesting.

ah ok thanxs, unlikely I will have access to it as only ever had BF3 on 360

Well I have been playing the beta on my i7 3770k @4.3Ghz and the CPU is always @ 100% load during gameplay, it would appear the card is going from anywhere between 30-100% on both cores throughout but I haven't noticed any low frame rates...smooth as anything but I'll bench it for a while tonight for you guys using fraps to get an idea.

Definitely well above 60fps as I am seeing a lot of screen tearing :p

ToxicBag - What PSU are you using for this setup with 2x7990. Been thinking about getting another for my rig, but only have a 850w corsair and it will probably be too little juice.

Afternoon Catanonia :)
its a thermaltake toughpower 1500w 1600 peak. Good idea might have to hunt out my meter reader see how much juice its pulling.

Evga 1300w should still cope well with it freeing this one up for 2nd build mmmm

Quoted comment deleted.

I ordered one. Had no plans to get anything until 290X prices settled, but the price of that is just too good to pass up.

However, it's XFX and these are the first cards to get that low in price, so I somehow suspect foul play .... they could be open-box (i.e. used) or be incorrectly listed as reference when in fact they're XFX custom design (which no-one in their right mind would ever buy on a card as powerful and power hungry as a 7990). If it is either of these, I'll be sending it straight back.

Of course, it could just be that XFX are first to clear stock and drop prices this low, as the terrible reputation they've garnered recently for their non-reference designs impacted on sales of the (reference) 7990s and they have a lot more stock to clear.

I ordered one. Had no plans to get anything until 290X prices settled, but the price of that is just too good to pass up.

Wouldn't worry much mate...it's a fantastic deal...if only I waited a couple of months :p

As for Battlefield 4 Beta performance, quick 3 mins run below :)

Ran 3 mins on Fraps with the below setup/settings :)

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.3Ghz
HD7990 Latest Beta
16GB Ram
Windows 8 64 bit.
Settings, ULTRA, MSAA 4X 1080p

3mins benched using fraps at above...

Frames: 16647 - Time: 180000ms

Avg: 92.483
Min: 62
Max: 155

Pretty damn happy with my Min of 62fps indeed

However, it's XFX and these are the first cards to get that low in price, so I somehow suspect foul play .... they could be open-box (i.e. used) or be incorrectly listed as reference when in fact they're XFX custom design (which no-one in their right mind would ever buy on a card as powerful and power hungry as a 7990). If it is either of these, I'll be sending it straight back.

Of course, it could just be that XFX are first to clear stock and drop prices this low, as the terrible reputation they've garnered recently for their non-reference designs impacted on sales of the (reference) 7990s and they have a lot more stock to clear.

I don't think you'll have any problems with it. I've had lots of XFX stuff and for me it's been excellent quality and never a failure. I cant think it will be opened box. They were quite expensive compared to the other 7990's. The Gigabyte and the MSI have been £500ish and I guess XFX want to clear the stock. I think you'll be pleased with your purchase.

Best

Yeah, a CPU upgrade is needed really. In 1080p/120hz it chews CPU. My 3930k @ 4.5GHZ is 70% utilised in tri-fire.

I would imagine there is less stress running the game in 1440p/60hz.

After researching hours and hours into 7990, i noticed one brand's 7990 never associated itself with coil whine.... :D

Br4bfU7.jpg

ready...4...battle...... :D:D:D:D

Last edited:
^^ Nice. :D

But they said you can't run 2x7990's together unless you water cool?

ah! :D

the common problem is caused by 7990 not drawing enough air in the first card slot. In my case, the first card is actually a normal 7970. the second card which allows to draw air directly from side panel is the 7990 (im using the cooler master HAF XB case, so everything is sitting side-ways :D)

heres another shot, slightly different angle:

iPglksn.jpg.png

it's not entirely complete yet, some of the fan and filters are still in the post. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, a CPU upgrade is needed really. In 1080p/120hz it chews CPU. My 3930k @ 4.5GHZ is 70% utilised in tri-fire.

I would imagine there is less stress running the game in 1440p/60hz.

Mmmm I'll not make assumptions on a 2 day old beta though I agree at the moment the CPU's are bottlenecking. I cant get my 7990 to run more than 40% on both cores after measuring a proper average. I cant quite believe they are gonna release a game that requires an i7 as a minimum, whilst that would be exciting as a step forward to making games require monster CPU's - I just cant see it.

I'm running 1920x1200 and ran fraps earlier.

2013-10-02 19:37:24 - bf4
Frames: 39638 - Time: 779569ms - Avg: 50.846 - Min: 18 - Max: 147

Didn't feel like 50 fps average.

It jumps between 60fps and 30 constantly. ULPS on seemed to help. Some are saying turn off the raw mouse input to reduce lag and reduce network smoothing to 0 if you have a good connection. Didn't feel any different for me.

I did find that with ULPS off it ran like a dog but with ULPS on it was much smoother. But there is little change in fps for me between low and ultra settings in fps pointing towards a CPU bottleneck in the current optimization.

I'll wait until the full release to come out before I make a any upgrade decision, see what fixes are commissioned and maybe a bit more on mantle. I still cant imagine that they would make a game that runs so poorly on an i5, there will be a lot of cheap i5's about, i7's will be hard to get hold of if they have, and it is one giant leap towards game progression if they need that much cpu juice. Exciting thought. Time will tell.

Mmmm I'll not make assumptions on a 2 day old beta though I agree at the moment the CPU's are bottlenecking. I cant get my 7990 to run more than 40% on both cores after measuring a proper average. I cant quite believe they are gonna release a game that requires an i7 as a minimum, whilst that would be exciting as a step forward to making games require monster CPU's - I just cant see it.

I'm running 1920x1200 and ran fraps earlier.

2013-10-02 19:37:24 - bf4
Frames: 39638 - Time: 779569ms - Avg: 50.846 - Min: 18 - Max: 147

Definitely appears to be the CPU's because I'm running an i7 3770k and getting...

Frames: 16647 - Time: 180000ms

Avg: 92.483
Min: 62
Max: 155

Pretty much double your average.

Well, it seems my scepticism about XFX and the XFX 7990s being cheap may have been warranted.

There was no black / yellow plastic seal on the plastic anti-static bag the card was in, inside the box. That's never been the case on a new card, in my experience. Bag was just open. There's no 'new card smell' at all. Shroud appears a bit smudged. Also, there are TWO test stamps on the back of the PCB, one of which it appears they have tried to blot out and failed. I've never seen a smeared one, and I don't remember seeing two before. Could some reference 7990 owners tell me whether the back of their PCB has one or two test pass stamps please?

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but this seems really fishy.

Well, it seems my scepticism about XFX and the XFX 7990s being cheap may have been warranted.

There was no black / yellow plastic seal on the plastic anti-static bag the card was in, inside the box. That's never been the case on a new card, in my experience. Bag was just open. There's no 'new card smell' at all. Shroud appears a bit smudged. Also, there are TWO test stamps on the back of the PCB, one of which it appears they have tried to blot out and failed. I've never seen a smeared one, and I don't remember seeing two before. Could some reference 7990 owners tell me whether the back of their PCB has one or two test pass stamps please?

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but this seems really fishy.

Hi mate, sorry to hear about your worries. Mine has no test stamps but mine is a VTX3d one. It does have stickers on the backplate and I'd have to remove this to see the PCB. Does yours come with a backplate or is your PCB completely open. I thought all reference came with a backplate. It was sold as new and there was nothing tin the description that said otherwise was there? Is the warranty less than whats on there now? I did notice they jumped up in price the next moring and thought you'd got a pricing mistake maybe.

Whack it in mate and give it a whirl:D

Hi mate, sorry to hear about your worries. Mine has no test stamps but mine is a VTX3d one. It does have stickers on the backplate and I'd have to remove this to see the PCB. Does yours come with a backplate or is your PCB completely open. I thought all reference came with a backplate. It was sold as new and there was nothing tin the description that said otherwise was there? Is the warranty less than whats on there now? I did notice they jumped up in price the next moring and thought you'd got a pricing mistake maybe.

Whack it in mate and give it a whirl:D

Backplate, sorry, yes. According to the retailer, it was a pricing mistake that only lasted a few hours. However others now have not too dissimilar prices.

I guess I'll just see when I install it. Haven't had time yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

One question, never having owned a card with such a high TDP, is it ok to use two power connectors from the same cable (i.e. coming out of one psu port), or should i use two separate ports and cables? I have a Seasonic X-650 if that matters.

Back
Top Bottom