• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Pricing mistake - awesome.

I was thinking about the testing stickers and maybe there is two as there is two GPU's on the card. One sticker for each GPU.

PSU - I bet you dont have an older PSU than me. If your's is a modular PSU then use seperate ports and not a splitter from one port. If you have non modular fixed cables then use teh ones with PCI-E on them and you'll be fine.

My PSU is that old I had to buy adapters to go from my PSU's 6 pin plugs to the 8 pins on the card!! My PSU is 650W and aint as good as a Seasonic. Good luck.

Agh, gahhhhd. I was hoping to not have to do that. I have a Silverstone FT03 case, and forcing another cable through the hole from the back (where PSU is) to front (where MB is) is going to be practically impossible :'( Modular, yeah. Not quite clear how circuitry on the PSU works, so whilst I realise both ports will be on the same rail, I don't know if I can 'overload' one cable / port?

For people having 100% CPU usage in BF4 Beta, are you using Windows 7 or 8

I've read about loads about Windows 8 running BF4 any better... is this true ?

I've got:

i7-4770k
16gb
hd7990
asus sabetooth z87
windows 7 64bit ultimate -

i'll do the Os upgrade if anybody can statistically prove it as I don't like the OS for desktops.....

Cheers,

Just check the PC gaming section here or the Battlefield 4 official forums, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest so (I'm not compiling stats)

Crossfire/SLI setups in particular seem to benefit.

I can actually run the game on high settings with a 3 year old AMD 6870 1GB graphics card without any issues on Windows 8.

I've used windows 7 since it first got released and used windows 8 since that first came out.Ill say windows 8 is more stable and everything is quicker.Sure it has it quirks but can be bypassed with addons etc.

Played 4 hrs of bf 4 last night on an i5 and its was excelllent. Even came top points wise 5 plus times

Ive actually only read about how Windows 8 is FULLY DirectX 11.1 compatible and Windows 7 is DirectX11 but can install 11.1 but all isn't right with it -

so as BF4 and all future games (with decent eye candy) will be 11.1 - I think I need to do the upgrade

:(

So,
I have my second 7990

Tomorrow my second water block and fittings arrive from Overclockers and so does my GeIL Thortech Thunderbolt Plus 1200W Gold with digital power imeter (so I can see how much juice it's pulling). My haswell 4770k will be sooo happy.
:-)

chaps? any one have follow-up on the sapphire 7990 atomic ? with new cards arriving, hard to imagine they are launching that now?

:DGigabyte HD7990. if you search 7990 coil whine. almost all brands have some complaints one form or another. but gigabyte never ever pop up in the search :D

Hmm, I am considering the 7990, but i really need to see the 290/290x reviews & price first :(
Aren't they all reference cards anyway...

They are all refernce cards you are right. i'm unsure about the Devil 13 but I think they are hard to find.

I think you are right to wait until the 290 is realeased which I though was tomorrow. i dont think it will be quicker. I'd like to see it as the fastest single GPU card.

You couldve gotten an XFX 7990 a couple of weeks ago for £420 but I see they have gone up a bit and the range is thinning out as end of line. I think they are awesome cards since they fixed the microstutter problems.

Coil whine - I did notice it when I first got it with the side of the case open but it quietened down now with use. Game with headset on anyway so wouldnt bother me if it did. And with the case side on you really have to listen for it. Maybe mine was not as bad as others. youtube vids show the Mobo outside of a case so it would be noisier but most use a case which, with a headset or speakers ou wouldnt notice unless you have the PC on the desk next to you.

Oddly I noticed it's noisiest when you access a folder with AMD drivers in it and it takes ages for the icon to appear for the driver making a noise. When the icon appears it stops. Odd as.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase. 7990 or 290x - gonna have an awesome card whichever.

That's a joke right? :)

If I got 2, i'd need a new case, a new PSU... and very likely a new cpu as it'll be bottlenecking it (i7 920)... you get the drill, a new pc basically.

That's a joke right? :)

If I got 2, i'd need a new case, a new PSU... and very likely a new cpu as it'll be bottlenecking it (i7 920)... you get the drill, a new pc basically.

unfortunately thats the nature of the graphics card business. each year they launch a model/refresh and pushes the older model price down. :(

my justification for going for the 7990 is because as a reference card, it does a pretty good job at performance but at the same time it doesnt come with the penalty of noise/heat or use up 3+ slots. :D. it wasnt too long ago, people are paying nearly 1,000 for this card, so 450 did it for me. :D my way of living has always been wait for the latest stuff to drop 50% value then i will go for it. (i do it to computers, cars, camera etc)

having said that, i did go through the same decision a few weeks back. but i cant help but to think there are way too much profit margin built into the new cards at launch (i mean RRP not ocuk pricing). look at 7970, when it was launched that was 400 quid, now i can pick a fully beefed up one for 200. so in terms of price/performance, i think 7970/7990 hit the right spot for me. (i could have gone for 3x 7970 but i quite like the dual gpu card idea, so i got to support it, lol :D and of course by going for this combo, now i got one slot left for another 7970.... :D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
you watercolling them? wouldn't it be a little too hot with them all stacked next to one another? both your 7990 and 7970 are dual slot i take it in 1st and 3rd slot?

Back
Top Bottom