• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Yeah I was joking on 2. Didn't see the 290's released today as I read somewhere it was the 15th. Hope your wait isn't too long.

I have a tough time deciding between 7990, 780, 290, 290x, or basically crossfire/sli anything else competitive.

I hate loud cards and only thing holding me back on the 7990 is potential stuttering/coil noise & needing to wait for driver updates and be at the mercy of AMD.

& sli/xfire i need a new case.

I have a tough time deciding between 7990, 780, 290, 290x, or basically crossfire/sli anything else competitive.

I hate loud cards and only thing holding me back on the 7990 is potential stuttering/coil noise & needing to wait for driver updates and be at the mercy of AMD.

Take a look around at the different brands of 7990, although they are a ref card you will see few reports of coil whine etc with the gigabyte 7990s am very happy with mine uk based rma to should the worst happen :)

The microstutter has been fixed since 13.8 drivers. AMD spent loads on a driver team and drivers are good. Nvid a few months ago had driver problems for weeks. My mates with 780's had really poor time.

Coil whine;
If it's in a case you'll barely hear it and you have to have the sound off at that, for me anyway. FAn wise the 7990 is quiet. Quieter than my 7970 but my 7990 isnt doing much as my i5 bottlenecks it. I think most suppliers will RMA for coil whine.

But I'd wait until the 290 comes out. 7990's have gone back up again in price at the min and I noticed the range is shrinking. Get a 7990 for same price as a 780. 780's do OC well though but never get to 7990 performance. But again I'd wait for the 290.

Also depending on the 'actual' performance of the 290 Nvidia may have to lower prices to be competitive which may swing you towards Nvidia.

I'm neither red or green. I just get the best bangs per buck from whoever at the time.

you watercolling them? wouldn't it be a little too hot with them all stacked next to one another? both your 7990 and 7970 are dual slot i take it in 1st and 3rd slot?

nope, all air cooled. have a look at half way down page 17, there's a picture of my rig. thats my set up im running at this very moment. i use a cooler master HAF XB case which allows the last card to draw air directly from the side panel and theres where the 7990 is.

the motherboard (asus z87 sabertooth) has 2 slots between first and second PCIe 16x/8x slot, so even the 7970 is a dual slot card, there's still one slot worth of air gap in between.

when pushed hard, the 7970 does hit 7XoC and gets abit loud but im ok with that because i will be wearing headphone for gaming. or i just walk away from the pc when i do benchmark. :D

EDIT: i do agree the above, if nvidia is willing to lower the GTX 780 price in the next month or so, then i think it's worth while to get one for now, then get a second one when it hits 200 on the second hand market in about 9 months time.

Last edited:
Take a look around at the different brands of 7990, although they are a ref card you will see few reports of coil whine etc with the gigabyte 7990s am very happy with mine uk based rma to should the worst happen :)

How are you finding your dual 7990's Toxic? You should post some benchmark scores of Firestrike, Valley etc.

I have a Gigabyte 7990 and no coil whine. I have to say I would be reluctant to run a 7990 on air. When I first got mine I wanted to test it out to see if it was the card for me (having had Nvidia for the last 5-6 years...) so i didn't fit the water block. With the Gpus at 90%+ (fans at 100%) the temps were in the 90 degrees C range. Putting the back of your hand on the fan exhausts was like putting an hair dryer there! The cores were clocked to 1150 though. Now on water they never get over 43 degree C mark.

Last edited:
I have a Gigabyte 7990 and no coil whine. I have to say I would be reluctant to run a 7990 on air. When I first got mine I wanted to test it out to see if it was the card for me (having had Nvidia for the last 5-6 years...) so i didn't fit the water block. With the Gpus at 90%+ (fans at 100%) the temps were in the 90 degrees C range. Putting the back of your hand on the fan exhausts was like putting an hair dryer there! The cores were clocked to 1150 though. Now on water they never get over 43 degree C mark.

That is an impressive temp drop for running at the same speeds. Mine got to 90 degrees in the summer but now temps have lowered it struggles to get to 80 degrees when benchmarking.

You mind sharing your watercooling setup and associated costs? I'm very interested. Thanks in advance.

My set-up has the following:

XSPC RX360 120mm Radiator - Black x 2 £120.00
Laing 18W DDC-Pump 12V DDC-1T Plus x 2 £110.00
XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Complete + Decoupling Kit x 2 £45.00
Scythe DFS123812H-3000RPM Fans x 3 £48.00
x6 Fan Controler £20.00

I have it set-up with the GPUs on one bank and the CPU,NB on the other with the fans sandwiched in the middle of the two tripple rads in a pull/push format. The rads/fans are mounted on top of my tower (Old Antec one). Sure it won't come up to scratch with the water cooling purists but it's worked for me for the last 5+ years and keeps everything cool even when overclocked. 7990 @ 1150MHz, my NB @ 4200MHz and my I7 920 @ 4.4GHz 24/7 :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info ikari,

Even more impressive with such a relatively old (in PC terms) cooling system of 5 yrs.

I guess you add the cost of a waterblock onto that. Still I guess thats £450 to venture into water cooling. I have a Silversone Temjin TJ10 case so have the room. I noticed that waterblocks come in copper or nickel. Is there much of a difference in performance in these two metals as price wise there isnt much?

thanks again.

For water blocks I use;

EK Water Blocks EK-FC7990 SE - Acetal - £110
Swiftech Apogee™ GTZ CPU - £55.00

I like the look of the copper (use to have 3 x Aqau 260 copper blocks.). I'm sure the difference in cooling properties between copper and nickel is minimal so choose the one you like the look of.

I don't regret the change/price moving over to water cooling. It means you can run 24/7 at the CPU/GPU clocks most overclock too on air purely for bench marking only. Especially nice during a hot summer.....

Just bought one of these today in the friday deal. Couldn't resist at that price.
I was wondering though if i wanted to add another card aswell can you add a 7970 or 7950 to this? I figured that would be much better heat wise than another 7990?
Also will there be any issues with adding one of those cards with the 7990. Since the 7990 is basically 2 x 7970 would it be more stable with another 7970 or will a 7950 be fine aswell? Im wondering because obviously the 7950 specs are lower.

To those of you tempted to add a 7970 .....

This is my Gigabyte 7990 + MSI 7970 Lightning on air with fans running 100% doing a heaven run on an i7 920 X58 system @ 2560x1600 .... have the 7990 in 16x slot and the 7970 in the 8x slot so dual slot space between them. They play really well together .. no issues so far in 3 weeks so drivers have been sorted it seems. Pairing a reference one would be even better!

qxmw.jpg

Thanks for that... Im wondering what would be best to pair with the 7990 i just bought... A 7970...7950... or a new 280x? Do the clocks have to be both the same to avoid issues?

Has anyone seen major improvements in performance after updating to windows 8.1??
I have a quafire setup all up and running now. But testing a few titles after the update I am quite amazed.
The noticable one was Far cry 3 maxed out on the 4k display.
before the update there was minor stuttering and a couple of freezing issues in places.
Afterwards it was perfect with minimal lag.

received my gigabyte 7990 today, in the system and working good. Temps i was worried about but now i've undervolted it to 1125mv and tested for a good few hours and it's stable.

max temps i get is 78C at 58% fan speed. i can live with 58% fan speed, beyond 60% and it's too loud, even if the temps go below 76C.

I get minor coil whine but only noticable for a short period between 40-50% fan speed after i shut a game down only (so no biggie).

Has anyone seen major improvements in performance after updating to windows 8.1??
I have a quafire setup all up and running now. But testing a few titles after the update I am quite amazed.
The noticable one was Far cry 3 maxed out on the 4k display.
before the update there was minor stuttering and a couple of freezing issues in places.
Afterwards it was perfect with minimal lag.

Quadfire 7990's & 4k display!!!

Name is ferrari100.You got a Ferrari too?

Is it normal for my AMD 7990 Gigabyte to have coil whine why browsing the internet, and scrolling down pages, its even louder when I play games, really loud, even after v-sync is turned on its still loud.

Another question is that I was told I might be bottlenecking my PSU and GPU, I've got a OCZ ModXStream 700W Modular PSU, 46A and 12V Rail, and the requirements for this card is 750W, 57A and 12V Rail. Should I upgrade my PSU?

Due to the loudness of the coil whine, should I ask for a RMA as I've got today and tomorrow to get a 14 day satisfaction refund, unless they can RMA it and I might have a chance of getting a quieter one.

Found this which I was told should be decent enough to power the GPU without issues due to the 60A and 12V Rail with an extra 50W, plus a highly recommend PSU with great ratings..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-TX750V2-Enthusiast-Series-Bronze/dp/B004O0P9VC

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom