• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Plenty of frames in bf3, it's like stuttering but I don’t noticably see it, I just feel it. But as I said AFR friendly removes it completely and it plays fine. Cpu doesn't hit 100% in bf3 tho, more like 50-70% so not sure if it's bottling much.

I have yet to try radeonpro tho, but i think i am going to need it for farcry 3 if i want vsync.

Plenty of frames in bf3, it's like stuttering but I don’t noticably see it, I just feel it. But as I said AFR friendly removes it completely and it plays fine. Cpu doesn't hit 100% in bf3 tho, more like 50-70% so not sure if it's bottling much.

I have yet to try radeonpro tho, but i think i am going to need it for farcry 3 if i want vsync.

If it (i7 920 overclocked) bottlenecks Setters 670 SLI setup it will bottleneck your 7990. The bottleneck will not show itself in the form of high cpu usage, or a lack of threads. More a lack of IPC grunt.

AFR helped Angst with his 7850 crossfire setup when he found his ii7 920/2500k bottlenecking in bf3. Something about AFR gets a bit more from the cpu, not sure why.

Then yeh could be cpu. but it's playable anyway with or without vsync now :)

Just dont see any justification for a cpu upgrade atm. I'd need to spend approx £800 if i want a new case too. The biggest issue with the 4770k seems to be the lottery I enter if the chip turns out to be utter crap @ocing.

i do want a new case tho. CM690 really isn't helping the 7990, noise and cooling. The card only just fits in, almost touching the non-removable drivebays.

Hi guys,

What is "AFR friendly" and how do I turn it on.

And LtMatt, what does that config file do? What does it change?

Thanks in advance

The config file reduces load on the cpu. Beneficial if you have a tri fire setup or a cpu older than sandy bridge. Otherwise its not really needed but people can try it if they have stutter problems. It also removes some input lag from vsync.

AFR = Alternate frame rendering = Each gpu renders one frame each.

Well my 7990 came today....Thought for a minute it wasn't going to fit in my system lol. Was about 1 inch longer than my 5870 which i thought was long. Ended up having to move the harddrive cage as far right as i could. Ended up with about half a cm of free space so it just managed to fit in lol.

Well my 7990 came today....Thought for a minute it wasn't going to fit in my system lol. Was about 1 inch longer than my 5870 which i thought was long. Ended up having to move the harddrive cage as far right as i could. Ended up with about half a cm of free space so it just managed to fit in lol.

Mine has about 2mm free in my case. almost had a heart attack putting it in:D

Mine has about 2mm free in my case. almost had a heart attack putting it in:D

Lol yeah i had to unattatch the cage that has the hard drive in and squeeze it as hard as i could up against the side of the case, was a nightmare lol.
I totally forgot about the never settle bundle games too :D you get that aswell as the golden ticket? lol shame the golden ticket games are pretty much the same.

I presume the high pitched squeeky sound is coil whine correct?
Its not so bad with mine but i just wanna make sure thats what it is.

Edit..thats not a good sign.. ran the half life 2 lost coast benchmark worked fine...then booted up the bioshock infinate benchmark and the pc just shut off then restarted both times i tryed it...hmm psu not strong enough? I would have thought 950 watts would be okay?

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to be one anyone has heard of lol. Its the arctic pro 950 which is about 4 year old now. i presumed because its 950 watts it would be fine but i guess if its a cheap brand that might not be the case.

Farcry 3 is a dog on multi gpu. You can get 99.9% smooth performance by disabling vsync in game. Then setting up a farcry 3 profile (using the farcry3 dx11 exe) using radeonpro. In radeon pro Change vsync to always on, tick triple buffering then tick lock fps to monitor refresh rate. Then click apply and load the game from radeonpro.

Tried it for farcry 3 & Radeon pro (vsync off, but vsync on in radeonpro), very smooth now. There's slight mouse lag, but it's ok

I was thinking are you sure this is a PSU issue? I mean the power requirements for 2 x 5870 in crossfire cant be that much different from a 7990 can they and it was fine with those.

Back
Top Bottom