• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Yeah it is. It barely fit in my case lol i had to move the hard drive cage right to the side to get it to fit. it was a pain.

My 7990 is finally working now though :D got my new PSU today and its running great now...no shut downs...

Whats the best way to overclock with this card on air...on my old cards i just used the overdrive feature in the CCC. Not used to using afterburner and theres the voltage and the power limit sliders now aswell...Should i just put the power limit slider to + 20 and just slowly increase both memory and core till its unstable?

Does this seem right?

overclocked the core to 1100 as you cant go any higher in afterburner... mem to 1575..
getting 300 less points in the valley benchmark than i was at stock lol.

Is something wrong there?

Last edited:
Are you seeing any visual issues when running the benchmarks, ie freezing, artefacts etc? I had a few issues with stability on my 7990 (including stutter freezing, outright computer freezes and the odd blue screen), it only started improving when I found a bios update that improved PCIE performance.

Other issues could be throttling due to temperature (I currently have mine at 1100, 1575. If I didn't put on an extremely aggressive fan profile in afterburner, I wouldn't be able to get it stable. I seem to be winning the battle against the issues now, however when I get christmas purchases out of the way, the first thing I am doing is throwing my wallet at a nice water cooling system.

Last edited:
Nope no visual issues at all.. Theres just no increse in fps or score in the benchmarks.. infact im even getting less occasionally than i was at stock. Temp is maxing out at about 69/70 degrees. Basically the 100mhz overclock on the core and 75 on the mem arnt doing a thing.

Seems to be the same issue that i read from reviews saying there was a problem with overclocking back in april when these cards were released.

i got 1 fps more in the metro last light benchmark than i did at stock too. Seems odd.

Last edited:
I will run valley at stock and at 1100, 1575 to test the difference so you can base what you should be getting around (I have a 4670k at 4.5ghz, but were are not TOO disimilar in setup) You may want to try comparing your clocks using heaven as well mind.

Mines running at 4.4 at the moment.
Thanks for testing that for me..im curious what score you will get in valley comparing stock to overclocked.

Also what do you have power limit set too and is your voltage locked?
Since its running at 1100 and 1575 there no reason to unlock the voltage is there?

Valley on Extreme HD settings...

Stock:

FPS: 77.4
Score: 3125
Min FPS: 34.9
Max FPS: 146.6

Overclocked (1100, 1575)

FPS: 83.2
Score: 3480
Min FPS: 36.9
Max FPS: 166.1

I have power limit set to +20, I have not done anything else, set power limit +20, and then changed the clocks.

Setting power limit to 20 seems to have helped...

Stock = 4771 overclocked = 4953 on the settings i have it on. Does that sound about right with that overclock?

8 fps increase in the bioshock infinite benchmark too

Last edited:

Stock = 4771 overclocked = 4953 on the settings i have it on. Does that sound about right with that overclock?

Yeah, you won't see a massive increase in all circumstances, some area's you will see bigger benefit than others. I will say, keep an eye on your temps though as the +20 power limit does make it run hotter.

If you're overclocking you should always leave power limit at +20% otherwise the card will throttle and down clock the core to stay within the TDP limit. That would explain your worse score.

hmmm any experiance with modded skyrim? Its stuck on a blurry as hell picture lol.. Like the depth of field effect is on every thing.

I have a pretty heavily modded Skyrim, but I haven't had such issues. Matt would probably be of more help here, but you could try disable all the mods you have and enabling them 1 by 1 to see which is causing the problem and either find an alternative that works, or leave it off. Matt may be able to run you through changing settings (possibly in RadeonPro) to help you, but I personally have little experience with messing around with them settings, so not of much help there.

If you are unsure how to enable/disable mods in skyrim... Go to Data Files when the splash screen loads and you can tick/untick what you want to load from there. It's not really a fix, but it's a temporary way of playing without the issues you are having (unless the issues occur when you are running without mods also)

Last edited:
Yeah i know how to disable/enable mods.
It was fine with my 5870 last week but seems something with this card doesnt agree with the settings and the whole screen is just a blurry depth of field effect

What case you using Matson? good airflow?
And what is your max fan speed at 69/70C? 69/70 is max in all the benches too?
I am thinking I need to rid my ancient CM690 case

Back
Top Bottom