• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Hi guys, just bought a 7990 yesterday. Great looking card and looking forward to using it.

At stock it gives a boost core clock of 1000MHz (Mem 1500MHz) and stock max voltage I am seeing is 1.2V.

I have MSI AB and set up a custom fan profile but have not disabled ULPS and have not tried to overclock it at all yet. On 3DMark11 at stock I am getting a GPU score of 18,184. Wondering if that sounds about right. In fps terms it certainly seems up there with my 2x 780s.

How far have people been able to push voltage on the stock cooler in these? Is above 1100/1150 core clock achievable? Are the limits mainly thermals? Any custom bioses available for these or is stock bios ok for overclocking?

which model do you have?xfx?
What about coil whine?
waiting for my asus hd 7990 till 8.11 plus 2 days delivery.
prices are going down with gtx 700,don't know if still keep my pre-order:confused:

I feel so stupid >_< sent my back because of the coil whine.. it seemed pretty loud on mine so wanted to try another card but can't get one anywhere now lol. I should have ordered one over the weekend when they were cheap.

Is there a way to tweak memory voltage? I'm guessing not but worth a shot!

No coil whine on mine btw, only time it does is on high fps menus etc which all my previous cards have done.

hay,
here is a new one. I have been playing some batman this morning and just checked afterburner. GPU 1 has been hitting 99% and 84 degrees / GPU is at 91% and 72 degrees. Is the difference between the 2 normal?

my girlfriend came into the room and asked me if the heating was on. This thing is hot! :)

Have you tried the latest Beta (16) of afterburner? There should be a drop down box you can tweak near core voltage that enables memory voltage tweaking.

Already checked. No such luck, I think the 7990 uses a different voltage regulator (Vt556 or something) whichbmay be why but wanted to see if other owners had any luck.

Well got my second 7990..Coil whine is there but doesn't seem as bad. overclocking is much better though. Managed to push it straight to 1100 and 1575 without needing to increase the voltage.

Well got my second 7990..Coil whine is there but doesn't seem as bad. overclocking is much better though. Managed to push it straight to 1100 and 1575 without needing to increase the voltage.

wouldnt imagine you'd need to increase voltage for that. i have mine undervolted at 1100 1575. 1160mv and stable

What's the best way to keep this cool in a HAF X case? Would it be worth adding an extra exhaust fan on top and/or reversing the side fan so it exhausts hot air away from the card? Using it as intake doesn't seem to make much difference.

What's the best way to keep this cool in a HAF X case? Would it be worth adding an extra exhaust fan on top and/or reversing the side fan so it exhausts hot air away from the card? Using it as intake doesn't seem to make much difference.

I reversed the side fan to suck out the hot air and this has worked well for me ;)

Still over a week to go, tick tock :(

Is there even any point in overclocking these? From what I've seen in reviews going from 1000-1100 is about a 3fps boost in games at most, not even noticeable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom