• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

My ducting system turned out to be a turd. It was keeping the room ambient stable, but at the cost of bottle necking the radiator that it was covering so upping the temps of the GPU's :(

Back to open top again now :)

Awsome, i just rang up the place where i got my second 7990 and because i didn't get a golden ticket they gave me the nvidia deal instead with assassins..batman and splinter.
Cant complain about that as assassins is very welcome.

I was a little overwhelmed at the size of the thing! It's huge! And mine's got a bit of coil whine but only when running Valley/Heaven. In games it's barely noticable. Played LoL last night @ >200FPS (not that the monitor can refresh it)

I was a little overwhelmed at the size of the thing! It's huge! And mine's got a bit of coil whine but only when running Valley/Heaven. In games it's barely noticable. Played LoL last night @ >200FPS (not that the monitor can refresh it)

yeah the amount of fps effects coil whine so in benchmarks with 200+ fps you will hear it but with vsync on you wont. Mines got less and less though the more i use it.

Yeah - I did remember reading about coil whine sort of "breaking in" ...

So what did I go and do? Ran Valley benchmark overnight on the OC I was on. The coil whine this morning was noticably quieter than last night.

I do wonder if the 2x240mm rads I have are going to be enough to hold an OC on the 4670K and 7990 without the thermals running away.

From my other thread!

So thought I would just post a brief comparison of my 780 overclocked (331.58 drivers) to 1267/6800 vs my newly acquired 7990 at 1125/6800 (13.11 beta 8).

Results are below, all tests were at 1080p with my [email protected] on Windows 7 64-bit

Firemark Extreme

780 HOF:

7990:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1529401?

Tomb Raider Ultimate Settings

780 HOF:

7990:

780 HOF:
Tomb Raider Ultimate Settings (+Ultra Shadows and 4x SSAA)

7990:

Rome 2 Total War Max settings (Alpha vegetation off)

7990:
No results for this as CA have managed to break crossfire support since Patch 5.

Hitman Absolution (Max settings and 8xAA)

780 HOF:

7990:

Sleeping Dogs Extreme

780 HOF:

7990:

Heaven 4.0

780 HOF:

7990:

Valley 1.0

780 HOF:

7990:

Overall aside from Rome 2, the transition to crossfire has been a largely painless experience. A few hiccups here and there but a lot less than I was expecting.

As you can see performance wise, gains generally range from 20-40% which is great considering the price I paid of £370 (dulls the pain of the loss I'll realise on the 780 :p).

My overclock on the 7990 isn't even pushing it particularly hard either, those clocks are at stock volts and when I do finally put it under water I would hope to be able to push it into the 1200+ speed bracket. This will undoubtedly widen the gap between the two!

However, the 780 was a great card for me, granted I only had it for a couple of months but in comparison to the 7950 that preceded it, the performance jump was brilliant (the price less so at just under £500). Single gpu solutions are still my preference but for the price the sheer performance of the 7990 is hard to question. I'll likely keep it until 20nm comes along and move back to a single gpu solution, but for my first foray into a multi-gpu cards, I'm pretty damn pleased.

Obligatory picture:

1yhTXBo.jpg.png
Please keep images to below 1280px wide or post in
tags like I've done for you above - Rilot
:D

quick update of my rig. :D

I did the "red mod" on the 7970. i used an Antec 620 and some ram heat sink from OCUK.

Heaven 4 previously pushed the gpu core to 75+oC, now running heaven 4 loop for an hour will see temperature stay below 50oC. (or 45oC if i use a more powerful fan)

you will notice the VRM heatsink is zip-tied instead of glued down, i might do a further mod that will re-instate the original fan. :D

MRd6hfO.jpg

Hi Guys!
Purchased an Asus 7990 from OC today! Should be here tomorrow!
Can't wait to be a owner!

One question i have is.... Warranty wise, will it be void if i removed or even changed the cooler?

Hi Guys!
Purchased an Asus 7990 from OC today! Should be here tomorrow!
Can't wait to be a owner!

One question i have is.... Warranty wise, will it be void if i removed or even changed the cooler?

Nice one well done, not sure, ask OC themselves. Some are ok, some are not. Be careful with it, they will never know :)

Loving all the new 290(x) and 780(ti) owners out there bigin it up when they could have had nearly double the performance with a 7990 single card solution for the same price :)

Gotta love how the 7990 is missing from a lot of the performance reviews as well, but they throw in SLI for Titans and others for comparison.

7990 = Still the fastest single card solution out there :)

The 7990 i got gave you a bronze and silver token instead of the gold (assuming they have no gold left) But i have all the games but one....it's in the gold section and it's Saints row IV gutted lol.

I wish they would refresh the selection a little more.

Back
Top Bottom