• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Flashed the bios and the gpu's both operate at 99% on Haven. However a problem I have had since whatever version was after Driver 13.11 Beta 2.1. I can not install them properly, I get multiple issues. Here is a list of the issues I have witnessed since the beta 2.1 drivers.

- It seems to install fine, CCC is working, I am running in 1080x1920, however it doesn't perform at all, look in device manager and both GPU's have the dreaded exclamation mark on them. I can install the drivers through device manager and remove the exclamation mark on one of the gpu's, but never on both.

- It installs as above, but with only one of the gpu's showing an exclamation mark on it, which I can not fix.

- It appears to install fine, when I reboot, It's at basic resolution, both gpu's have exclamation marks on them and CCC doesn't open.

This time, 13.11 Beta 9.2 drivers appeared to install perfectly. I reinstalled Afterburner and rebooted and it seemed fine, I then disabled ULPS and rebooted. This time upon booting I was greeted with a black screen for a few seconds, a few programs come up with warnings that they can't run at the basic resolution or that they require at least DirectX 9.0 (When my screen comes on I am in 1080x1920 so the resolution must only change to that when the black screen goes). The drivers appeared to install fine, no exclamation marks. However running haven, I would only get a max fps of 61.2 and most of the time it being around 23-24fps.

Now that fps issue I have received twice previously and it seemed to link to driver corruption of some sort following 2 certain crashes in Battlefield 4. Every game then ran at around 24 fps.

Reinstalling normally did the trick, but each time I try to install now, I get any one of the problems from the above list. I am currently looking for an older driver to install to at least get some form of driver on my system and will maybe try just installing over with the 9.2 drivers after as that's the only way I have got 9.2 or any driver between that and 2.1 beta drivers to install.

It's a pain, I don't know why it happens. If anyone has encountered similar before and know why this happens, then please let me know how to sort it, because it is a gigantic head ache, especially when AMD are throwing drivers around like confetti!

Are you on Windows 7? If so make sure you have net framework 4.0 and 4.5 fully installed and up to date via Windows update. After that i would recommend doing the following in this order.

1. Download the Latest AMD Drivers (Latest caps always included with the latest Beta)
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd_catalyst_13.11_betav9.2.exe - Currently 13.11 Beta 9.2

2. Download & install Driver Fusion. Check the contents of the rar file closely. Look for the README file.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/d4hcii

3. Download the latest version of afterburner. (Currently Beta 16)
http://www.guru3d.com/files_get/msi_afterburner_beta_download,18.html

4. Un-install any other versions of Afterburner, Trixxx, GPU Tweak etc. Don't want other apps interfering. Do not keep user settings, delete everything.

5. Uninstall the AMD drivers+Caps via Add/Remove Programs.

6. Restart your pc. Once back into windows run Driver Fusion. Analyse amd and then delete all entries. Restart.

7. Now you can install the new drivers. Use the express install option unless you have a specific reason not to. Follow the prompt and after installing the drivers, install the caps file. Restart your pc.

8. Once booted back into windows, install afterburner. If it prompts you to restart, restart your pc.

9. Take note of these settings. Crossfire users should definitely tick to disable ULPS if they wish to overclock xfire.

1c6sCS3.jpg

Are things working correctly now?

Hi Matt,

Do you think OCUK would let you create a locked sticky on how to apply your BIOS?
I can see lots of people asking what the latest version is, where to download etc, might be worth keeping a single post, locked sticky so you only have to edit/repeat in one place.

Thanks for your hard work btw, going to try your BIOS out tonight when I get home!

Last edited:
There seems to be some progress and some regression using the following steps.

It installed fine, I managed to disable ULPS. Except this time, when I try to run Heaven 4.0 in full screen I get a Direct3D 11 error pop up and it proceeds to run in windowed mode.

I will try the steps again and see if I can make some more progress with it.

Hi Matt,

Do you think OCUK would let you create a locked sticky on how to apply your BIOS?
I can see lots of people asking what the latest version is, where to download etc, might be worth keeping a single post, locked sticky so you only have to edit/repeat in one place.

Thanks for your hard work btw, going to try your BIOS out tonight when I get home!

Yes its a good shout and i will look to draw something up shortly. I've got a V3 of the bios created now with a 50% power tune limit so i will get on the case.

Right, I got Heaven to run in full screen, but I got the fps problem again. My max fps was 74.1 The test I did before uninstalling the drivers had a max fps of 148.8.

Average fps has more than halved too.

--------------

Right, now I tried to install the beta 9.2 drivers over itself, as I did to fix the issue before, mid install process I got a bsod. Booted back up and now my fps is more like it's normal state (Max fps was 146.6 and average 61.1). Now this is just bloody weird.

--------------

I found the FPS problem. My fps drops by more than half when I disable ULPS for some reason. This had never been an issue before, it shows both gpu's operating at 99% but the fps is low. With ULPS enabled, it shows gpu's fluctuating from 77%-97% but my fps are higher (yet not as high as they were before I uninstalled the drivers this morning).

--------------

*Multiple edits, now separated for clarity...

--------------

GPUZ is saying that Crossfire is disabled for some reason...

Last edited:
Hi Matt,

Started a thread below. Everyone wanting the latest version of the bios should check this link.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18558655

Its unlikely i will be making any further updates, assuming no one has problems.

Really... really want one of these :D this thread is not helping at all!

Just worried about crossfire support on things like DayZ, will be gutting to spend so much and then see no return in those I play the most (DayZ, CS:GO, Chivalry, Grid 2)

Had these strange problems you describe also a while back BuzzLloydyear.
If I remember correctly I ended up using amd_cleanup_util in safe mode, and I also think I ended up with installing the new drivers in safe mode too.

The important thing is to get rid off / stopp all AMD tuning utils when you do the install of the new drivers. For me it was easiest to do it in safe mode :)

Catalyst install manager wouldn't work in safe mode last time I tried (iirc). Unless you mean just installing the driver via device manager.

Regardless I think I was having some issues with beta 9.2 installing but beta 8 worked without issue.

Bit delayed here as I had to switch power off to install a light to the front of the house. So Not had a great deal of chance to try much, but it's safe to say 9.2 is not ever going to install on my pc. I also tried beta 6 and no luck.

I am now downloading beta 8 and hopefully it will work, otherwise I am going to have to find the beta 2 drivers and install them. Better than nothing, but I would rather get something more up to date working.

ASIC Quality Gigabyte 7990: 70.8% for slave card and 68.7% for Master card.
This kinda explains why I could undervolt so much i guess. 1.1v stable at stock (might be able to go lower haven't bothered to check) & 1.165v stable at 1100 1575, can't go lower

Last edited:
I don't understand what's going on. I've updated BIOS and can see voltage control etc ... but I'm only getting 70% GPU utilisation on GPU1 and 2 in the Heaven benchmark :(

ULPS is disabled, crossfire enabled

EDIT: Don't know what happened but uninstalled AB and reinstalled and all fine now

Baseline Valley score
ZFi0YJp.jpg

Despite nearly 5% difference in ASIC values, GPU temps are spot on

Last edited:
All good then dave. My initial 7990 might have just been a bad one.

Supposedly so, but I think the vibrations from the fans when clocking this thing is affecting it. I bumped vCore to 1.2V and got to the end of the Valley benchmark and then the computer restarted itself! Really need to get the waterblock on this thing.

My 7990 is alive and kicking and no longer a £400 paper weight :)

watercooling it on the cheap using a reserator 1 V2 with an inline thick 120 mm rad from an old kuhler 920. will get some pics up soon.

Matt, does the V2 bios have memory voltage control? thanks for the effort you've put into this.

Question to you crazy overclockers out there :D.... When the game locks up but you can still here the sound but you cant do anything apart from a hard reset what does that mean?
Not enough voltage? cant oc anymore?
I usually get this if i take the core past 1100...Even putting the voltage up though doesnt seem to make any difference.

Back
Top Bottom