• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Matt,

if I'm running at stock and have your BIOS installed would you advise to try and undervolt?

Less heat etc...

I made a stock profile on AB with the voltage taken down to 1150.. Much lower temps and runs fine at stock. Good idea really for when your on the desktop or dont need to push the card to its limits in certain games.

I made a stock profile on AB with the voltage taken down to 1150.. Much lower temps and runs fine at stock. Good idea really for when your on the desktop or dont need to push the card to its limits in certain games.

I probably aim to have an ideal voltage to be able to max out games, a universal setting if you will.

Not keen on switching between profiles for gaming and normal desktop stuff etc :)

Yeah thats true. I only really use my max OC profile when i really need it like crysis3 ect. Most games i just stick with the default speeds and the 1150 voltage profile.

My other profile is 1100/1630 @ 1220 voltage. it used to be at the stock 1200 but since the bios update it seemed a little unstable at that so i took it to 1220.

Never mind , up to 71 now >_> Managed to get my clocks stable at 1150/1630 though and this is on air. Don't think i really want to push it anymore on air so i think thats high enough. The card is a beast. Maxing out AC4 and it looks stunning.

Last edited:
Yes always best to undervolt if you can.

Memory voltage control not yet available, but apparently SS89 has a bios with memory voltage control sop hopefully he will share it with us and i will tweak it as well if necessary.

Gah, bloody Afterburner!

I upgraded to the new Beta as on the last one GPU2 temp reading wasn't showing and cannot be selected in the monitor settings, it's the same on the new beta.

Matt I didn't have the biox xD I was hoping someone else did but anyway after I flashed the Asus bios posted by someone else earlier It did give the option for memory tweaking in Asus GPU Tweak. However I'm not sure if it was working as I didn't test and went back to my old bios.

Anyway guys my adventures with the 7990 have come to an end! I was looking to quadfire another one but the need to watercool put paid to that idea.

So I've just placed an order for 3x XFX 290's (which were on a deal for £305 and apparently come with Battlefield 4 according to XFX Europes website, hopefully will also unlock to 290x's :p) and a Maximus Extreme VI motherboard to accomodate it.

Thats a lot to spend on benchmarking :D Didnt you say you only played about an hour of games on your 7990? lol. Or was that somone else.

That was me xD.

I do now intend to play games but also in downtime the machine will also be used for mining. Thanfully this is not all being funded by me, the GF is chipping in £500 as an early xmas/anniv present

I know what you mean about watercooling though. At 1150/1630 my temps maxed out about 77 degrees so i wouldn't feel comfortable pushing it any higher and as safe as it is iv never really felt comfortable putting water in my pc around all those lovely electrical components. Im sure its perfectly fine if you do it right but id always be wondering if its going to leak lol.

I know what you mean about watercooling though. At 1150/1630 my temps maxed out about 77 degrees so i wouldn't feel comfortable pushing it any higher and as safe as it is iv never really felt comfortable putting water in my pc around all those lovely electrical components. Im sure its perfectly fine if you do it right but id always be wondering if its going to leak lol.

Yep agreed, also I can't be bothered with the maintenance aspect either. But for Quadfire it is necessary to watercool due to the reference fan design.

At least with the 290's it will be exhausting all the heat out of the case. Can't wait for them to arrive :)

In update to my driver problems. I have identified what is causing the install issues. Windows files that deal with the display drivers appears to be corrupting upon a certain driver/application crash. This means that the only way I can sort it is by reinstalling/repairing Windows. (has happened in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1)

However, quite why these crashes and corruptions are happening is anyones guess. I had a moderate overclock on at some points (I don't push it hard as I am on air and gpu1 runs very hot (ASIC quiality: GPU1: 59.2%, GPU2: 64.5%... GPU2 is on average, about 10-15 degree's cooler at all times). So i've not got much room for overclocking.

Knowing what's going wrong is only half of the problems and I don't know the exact specifics of it all, I just know that windows files are getting damaged occasionally when this crash occurs (funnily enough, this certain crash has only ever happened in Battlefield 4, I have had other driver issues in other games, but none that have rendered windows handling of display drivers useless).

I tried Windows 8.1 and the crashes that break windows are more common, I don't even have any overclock, just disabling ULPS causes it to crash and break quickly in Battlefield 4, if I leave everything at default when installed, I get about 10 minutes before the game locks up my pc.

I will have to give another game a bashing to test if this is just purely Battlefield 4 related, to try and point out, if I am suffering some bad lockup in Battlefield or to try and grasp if my hardware is failing in some way.

I tell you what, when working this card is amazing, but the amount of troubles I have had with it, almost makes me wish I still used my 6950! I don't think I will go dual gpu for any future purchases, a bad experience can be enough to put someone off for life, even if it's not an accurate representation of how they work.

using the latest driver i presume? its a problem with vsync and the new driver i think. it doesn't work properly. Dont worry its the same on mine too.

There is serious tearing during the Assassins Creed 4 game, anyone can help?

using the latest driver i presume? its a problem with vsync and the new driver i think. it doesn't work properly. Dont worry its the same on mine too.

I was getting tearing on BF4 using the latest beta drivers for Win 7 x64 (13.11 beta 8) I think. The one that installs the Raptr software. In Raptr I changed the the quality settings from quality to balanced and this cured my tearing.

Maybe worth having a look there.

Gah, bloody Afterburner!

I upgraded to the new Beta as on the last one GPU2 temp reading wasn't showing and cannot be selected in the monitor settings, it's the same on the new beta.

Disable ULPS.

On a side note how is anyone running the Beta 9.2's on a 7990? Every game I've tried has issues with V Sync and stuttering

I turned off Frame Pacing for playing BF4 and it sorted my stuttering problem out. Very smooth now.

It is for me on the Beta 8's, but on the 9.2's its no-where near as good, almost as if double V Sync is enabled or something, this is with most games I've tried, it might be a 1440p thing.

Last edited:
I've been running the 9.2's fine. At 1920x1200 and under W8.1 averaging 110 fps.

I am running no overclock on GPU, Have a 2500k I5 @ 4.4Ghz, stock BIOS. No afterburner. ULPS on. Frame pacing on. V-sync off obviously. My GPU's are running at 50% and CPU high 80's low 90's.

Don't know if you have seen this

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-ama-toms-hardware,review-32825.html

Second to last it mentions that they are looking at closing teh gap in BF4 GPU scaling

A. We're assessing some tweaks that will bring BF4 to 90-95% scaling 1->2 GPUs. That's without Mantle. Going forward, Mantle could help any game with CPU bottlenecking and multi-GPU scaling. It's deeply parallelized as an API.

interesting read all round.

My Q for the forum: Does ATIman uninstaller work under 8.1?

Back
Top Bottom