• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Just picked up one of these in the OcUK deal. Can't wait to try it out with my i7.

Never got round to playing Far Cry 3 properly or Crysis 3 at all, so will probably fire those up with it.

I hope for your sake that FC3 crossfire has been fixed now. It was unplayable last time I tried it.

I tried farcry 3 the other day and it runs well if you have the gpu rendered frames on 1. I highly recommend using RadeonPro with it though and creating a profile to force vsync and triple buffering and lock the fps to the monitor refresh rate for the best experience.

Having loads of issues with my 7990, benchmarking with Tomb Raider, here is my best result:

Still has a shocking min fps score.

Now the bench runs fine until the last 10 secs and then drops off to 15-20fps and is really jittery, crashes sometimes (at stock and OCed), I've disbaled upls and this has made it worse. Here is a snipshot of msi post-bench:

And settings:

Anyone got any ideas as to why this 7990 is misbehaving?

Cheers.

I don't know whats wrong but I have just tried your settings.

@960 defult min 77.7 max 138.1 avg104.5
@1100 min 89.3 max 144 avg 117.9

On win 7 CF MSI Twin v3 amd_catalyst_13.11_betav92-[Guru3D.com]

I don't know whats wrong but I have just tried your settings.

@960 defult min 77.7 max 138.1 avg104.5
@1100 min 89.3 max 144 avg 117.9

On win 7 CF MSI Twin v3 amd_catalyst_13.11_betav92-[Guru3D.com]

Really starting to annoy me now, this is happening in all games, here is my stock 3dmark score:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7545920

Wish I'd got a 780ti now instead tbh.

What about 2 7990's in games would I see a benefit as I already got one but it's hard to pass up another at that price.

Not really tested it myself.

The two I have under water are awesome on benchmarks, and well I play Crysis on full settings @ 1440 mode no problems at all. Overkill definitely, but nice to have the power.

The reason I got a second was the price and that I Mine LiteCoins earning me about $18 a day at the current Litecoin prices :)

Really starting to annoy me now, this is happening in all games, here is my stock 3dmark score:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7545920

Wish I'd got a 780ti now instead tbh.

In the benchmarks I've seen the 7990 slaps thee 780ti like a bit:mad:ch.

Opps 4got to say they were 7950's.
Might make a difference if you up date you Tombraider.

Is it possible to clone your c:\ and do a clean install? Maybe ths way you see whats the issue.
Also can you list your specs I.E Psu, Cpu etc.

BTW it has taken me a week to get these cats installed properly. DON'T GIVE UP!

In the benchmarks I've seen the 7990 slaps thee 780ti like a bit:mad:ch.

Opps 4got to say they were 7950's.
Might make a difference if you up date you Tombraider.

Is it possible to clone your c:\ and do a clean install? Maybe ths way you see whats the issue.
Also can you list your specs I.E Psu, Cpu etc.

BTW it has taken me a week to get these cats installed properly. DON'T GIVE UP!

Not giving up, just been a long road and still no end in sight, I just unistalled 13.11 B9.4 and installed 13.11 B9.2 and the driver isnt being recognised and my computer has gone a bit funny, here is a screenshot

Changed itself to big mode and the task bar has gone from ROG back to windows...

Not really tested it myself.

The two I have under water are awesome on benchmarks, and well I play Crysis on full settings @ 1440 mode no problems at all. Overkill definitely, but nice to have the power.

The reason I got a second was the price and that I Mine LiteCoins earning me about $18 a day at the current Litecoin prices :)

I will upgrade to 4k in the future so 2 would work well for that resolution,what type of fps are you getting in crysis 3 and what other games work well with 2 7990's.

@Mathmatics

You should be looking at around 20K stock score with a 7990 @1000/1500, assuming the card is not throttling, which it won't if you use my custom bios.

P16737 with AMD Radeon HD 7990(2x) and Intel Core i7-2700K Processor
Graphics Score 20436
Physics Score 11649
Combined Score 9832

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7551234?

I'm going to get a USB stick tomorrow and do exactly that mate.

Just can't believe how bad this cards performs at stock with the latest AMD Driver, doesn't make sense considering it's supposed to be one of the best cards about.

I'm going to get a USB stick tomorrow and do exactly that mate.

Just can't believe how bad this cards performs at stock with the latest AMD Driver, doesn't make sense considering it's supposed to be one of the best cards about.

I think your issues come from putting way too much voltage through the card on the stock bios, hence the throttling hence the low score. The default bios is designed to protect the card from high voltage.

I think your issues come from putting way too much voltage through the card on the stock bios, hence the throttling hence the low score. The default bios is designed to protect the card from high voltage.

That could explain a lot, I have completely unistalled AfterBurner and GpuTweak, so I assume it is all back to stock settings, just the driver/bios issue to sort now.

Ran 3Dmark and got a 13100 total and 18234 GPU so heading in the right direction.

That could explain a lot, I have completely unistalled AfterBurner and GpuTweak, so I assume it is all back to stock settings, just the driver/bios issue to sort now.

Ran 3Dmark and got a 13100 total and 18234 GPU so heading in the right direction.

Yeah thats looking much better mate. That is there or thereabouts. Once we get the new bios on your card and throttling becomes a thing of the past you'll be golden.

Yeah thats looking much better mate. That is there or thereabouts. Once we get the new bios on your card and throttling becomes a thing of the past you'll be golden.

Cheers mate, I appreciate your help.

Do you think my CPU could potentially hold it back at 4.6ghz (8320)?

EDIT:

Not via the combined/physics score, hold back potential GPU score (bottleneck).

Last edited:
Cheers mate, I appreciate your help.

Do you think my CPU could potentially hold it back at 4.6ghz (8320)?

EDIT:

Not via the combined/physics score, hold back potential GPU score (bottleneck).

It will a little bit yes, however for most things it will be fine. Your cpu is just a little bit slower than mine, but nothing dramatic. It will have a small effect on benchmark scores, but nothing to worry about. Just keep it overclocked as much as you can without damaging it.

Back
Top Bottom