• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

To add to this. Any must have games to put through it? Crysis 3 is certainly on my to-do list, as is Far Cry 3.

Crysis 3 is crap to bench as it has no reliable in game benchmark. If i was you id stick to the following.

3dmark 11
Firestrike
Firestrike Extreme
Tomb Raider
Sleeping Dogs
Hitman Absolution
Bioshock Infinite
Dirt Showdown

As for other games like Crysis 3 and Farcry 3 just use fraps to record fps as you play then look back over it when you've finished. :)

Crysis 3 is crap to bench as it has no reliable in game benchmark. If i was you id stick to the following.

3dmark 11
Firestrike
Firestrike Extreme
Tomb Raider
Sleeping Dogs
Hitman Absolution
Bioshock Infinite
Dirt Showdown

As for other games like Crysis 3 and Farcry 3 just use fraps to record fps as you play then look back over it when you've finished. :)

Thanks for the list :)

Sleeping dogs is definitely on my list - had far too much lag when I tried to play it last year so keen to get back into it. Will probably get Hitman with the AMD voucher.

Does 23k graphics score sound about right for a 1150/1630 overclock matt? I was wondering what you get with the same clocks.

yeah 3dmark 11...

its a 3570k @4.6 for that run.
Good graphics score but that cpu holds back my physics score as it only got 8.1k for physics.

Your score seems spot on, scoring 23k here at those gpu clocks. :cool:

SCORE
P18121 with AMD Radeon HD 7990(2x) and Intel Core i7-2700K Processor
Graphics Score 23122
Physics Score 11813
Combined Score 9952

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7551593?

Need advice... how simple is it to crossfire a 7950 with a 7990? would i just need to make the clock and mem speeds match and thats it? Are all the rest of the specs the same?
Also will a 850watt platinum PSU suffice? its the AX860.

Right then, decision time for me. I have two options.

1. Second 670 for SLI. Would prefer a identical card to eliminate any possible incompatibilities but can't find any Palit Jetstreams anywhere. This means buying new would be a MSI GTX670OC @£162.

2. XFX 7990 with free psu @£395. Has anybody gone for this deal and which XFX psu is the freebie.

Both options require a new psu. Mine is from 2008, when SLI/Crossfire only needed a max of a single 8 pin pci-e plug per card so it only has 2x 8 Pin connectors. It's also getting on a bit now so i wouldn't entirely trust it with the extra load. If i went down the SLI route the new psu would be the excellent Coolermaster V850. Jonnyguru has been raving about the new Vseries (Seasonic build) and the 850 and 1000w version have got 9.7+ in his reviews. The psu is £127 making the SLI option around £100 cheaper than the 7990 option. At the moment i simply cannot make my mind up and a big part of the decision is going to depend on what model that free psu is. Is the 7990 worth the extra £100?

Right then, decision time for me. I have two options.

1. Second 670 for SLI. Would prefer a identical card to eliminate any possible incompatibilities but can't find any Palit Jetstreams anywhere. This means buying new would be a MSI GTX670OC @£162.

2. XFX 7990 with free psu @£395. Has anybody gone for this deal and which XFX psu is the freebie.

Both options require a new psu. Mine is from 2008, when SLI/Crossfire only needed a max of a single 8 pin pci-e plug per card so it only has 2x 8 Pin connectors. It's also getting on a bit now so i wouldn't entirely trust it with the extra load. If i went down the SLI route the new psu would be the excellent Coolermaster V850. Jonnyguru has been raving about the new Vseries (Seasonic build) and the 850 and 1000w version have got 9.7+ in his reviews. The psu is £127 making the SLI option around £100 cheaper than the 7990 option. At the moment i simply cannot make my mind up and a big part of the decision is going to depend on what model that free psu is. Is the 7990 worth the extra £100?

I got the XFX 7990+PSU. Cracking deal and a great card as well. Will be a fair bit faster than 670 SLI in games and benchmarks. The psu is superb as well.

aXC2K0B.jpg

Really tempted by one of these however, that deal above was superb. I have found a deal of MSI 7990 + 250gb Samsung Evo SSD for £479.99 inc Delivery? Sounds pretty good?

Cheers for that Matt, didn't realise it was one of the top psu's. That's more or less made my mind up.

jimhaumman, you are missing something. ;)

Pretty sure that is a mistake on the description as the actual item no longer mentions the PSU. They made the same error last time when I ordered one for £370 (I already had a capable psu so it didn't matter to me) as the description still stated it but it was not included. Best call them and double check before you commit as you will more than likely need to buy a new psu as well.

I used live support to check the offer was still valid and they had stock of both the 7990 and the psu. This was about two weeks ago now, but it was valid then.

But that was at the £479 price point I imagine and not the new reduced £395. The same happened when I ordered, was originally up for 479, then reduced to £371 and still had the psu in the description. This was amended to reflect the fact the price drop was a result of removing the psu from the bundle.

Back
Top Bottom