• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

What temps are people getting with these cards?

I have two in my HAF XB case with the side and top off in 3DMark one is hitting 91c (max) - is this acceptable? Something like 1.2v @ 1150Mhz.

I may have to do what everyone else is doing and under volt at stock (but it feels wrong not to be overclocking).

That or water cool them... Which is tempting based on the temps I've seen so far :/

Also, my ASIC is between 61 - 67% (varies across the 4 GPU's) via GPU-Z is it higher the better? Is this rating legit or just something GPU-Z randomly calculates based on some magic algorithm ?

[email protected]
7990@100/1500

Couple of hours of BF4, vsync off, 1440p Ultra preset +x4AA. Fpsd ranging from 60-130+ Using my custom bios. Stock voltage lowered from 1.2v to 1.130v. Case fans on low rpm, H100i on intake on low rpm. 85c max temp on both gpu's. If i turned my case fans up a bit temps would be 3-5c lower. If i turned the gpu fan up temps would be 10-15c lower but im trying to make things as quiet as possible now, just as a personal test. My previous 7950's had to be at 100% fan speed to get even close to this level of performance. For the record Auto fan is around 40-50% at these temps. It starts to crank up a bit once you go past 85-90c.

h0xivxu.jpg

Last edited:

I have two in my HAF XB case with the side and top off in 3DMark one is hitting 91c (max) - is this acceptable? Something like 1.2v @ 1150Mhz.

I may have to do what everyone else is doing and under volt at stock (but it feels wrong not to be overclocking).

That or water cool them... Which is tempting based on the temps I've seen so far :/

Also, my ASIC is between 61 - 67% (varies across the 4 GPU's) via GPU-Z is it higher the better? Is this rating legit or just something GPU-Z randomly calculates based on some magic algorithm ?

I'm running mine in a HAF 932 case. Matt's BIOS (Cheers Matt). Undervolted to 1.120 Afterburner.
Asic 62.2 64.1 . Just played over an hour of BF4. 1920x1080 Ultra 4x MSAA
Max temps 60c and 58c. Fan speeds 62% and 56%

I haven't overclocked my card though. Running stock BIOS settings max temp was about 71c.

I'm running mine in a HAF 932 case. Matt's BIOS (Cheers Matt). Undervolted to 1.120 Afterburner.
Asic 62.2 64.1 . Just played over an hour of BF4. 1920x1080 Ultra 4x MSAA
Max temps 60c and 58c. Fan speeds 62% and 56%

I haven't overclocked my card though. Running stock BIOS settings max temp was about 71c.

Blimey, thats superb. Mind sharing some pics of your case setup mate? Always looking for ways i can improve mine.

EDIT

Did you have vsync on or anything?

On stock settings would it be safe to drop voltage to 1130?

Depends on the asic of your card and how 'good' it is. Generally speaking you can normally at least lower it to 1.175v. Some can lower it to 1.100v. Up to the person in question to test how much lower they can set it. Less voltage, prolonged life, lower temps. Stock is fast enough for most things tbh. :)

Blimey, thats superb. Mind sharing some pics of your case setup mate? Always looking for ways i can improve mine.

EDIT

Did you have vsync on or anything?

Vsync is always off due to 120Hz monitor.

Case is a box standard 932 sitting on my desk. Airflow could be better if I had a modular PSU.

I have a Coolermaster 1200w PSU and it looks like snakes have nested in the bottom of my case.

No heating on in the house at the moment, but the wife will be home soon.

The side fan, front fan and rad' fans take air in to the case. The top fan exhausts it all.

Last edited:
[email protected]
7990@100/1500

Couple of hours of BF4, vsync off, 1440p Ultra preset +x4AA. Fpsd ranging from 60-130+ Using my custom bios. Stock voltage lowered from 1.2v to 1.130v. Case fans on low rpm, H100i on intake on low rpm. 85c max temp on both gpu's. If i turned my case fans up a bit temps would be 3-5c lower. If i turned the gpu fan up temps would be 10-15c lower but im trying to make things as quiet as possible now, just as a personal test. My previous 7950's had to be at 100% fan speed to get even close to this level of performance. For the record Auto fan is around 40-50% at these temps. It starts to crank up a bit once you go past 85-90c.

http://i.imgur.com/h0xivxu.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Your bios certainly keeps it cool and quiet, which is also what i am going for.

Cooling would be better for me if my cpu heatsink didn't get in the way of my side case fan.

Back
Top Bottom