• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

0% on the new bios =250W TDP which should be fine for stock and maybe light overclocks.

20% on the new bios =50% on the old one. However im not the sure the old one actually increased that much so this one solves that.

The other bios default TDP was only 200W, which was frankly too low. Now we have stock 250W TDP which is 7970ghz TDP.

Would this make a difference to the Valley Benchmark?
Reason I'm asking is I've been playing around with lowering the card voltage and running Valley to check stability.

After flashing your latest BIOS this morning and re setting Afterburner up I thought I saw a 20fps increase in My Valley score. I haven't been saving the results as my card isn't overclocked, just checking for stability.

Matt do you run with your side fan as intake or exhaust?

I use side exhaust. I will take some pics of my setup shortly.

Would this make a difference to the Valley Benchmark?
Reason I'm asking is I've been playing around with lowering the card voltage and running Valley to check stability.

After flashing your latest BIOS this morning and re setting Afterburner up I thought I saw a 20fps increase in My Valley score. I haven't been saving the results as my card isn't overclocked, just checking for stability.

It could do if it was throttling with your previous runs yes.

40c+ Mike.

Here is what works best for my setup.

200mm+120mm front intakes
zpqEuKf.jpg

23V3jPz.jpg

H100i+2x120mm Gentle Typhoon Intake
Ojcrykw.jpg

lNTpBR9.jpg

Top Rear 120mm Intake
3uaggHZ.jpg

lNwLhyi.jpg

4x120mm Side Exhaust (run at lower rpm than all intake fans to keep positive pressure)
wPaAY2r.jpg

1qBCgGv.jpg

7990 - I've removed pci brackets around the card so that the positive pressure of the case naturally forces the hot air through the vents
vs7f3tO.jpg

j3GRWKB.jpg

Kwi5RHG.jpg

This is basically what it looks like. I guess the H100i is actually dumping a small amount of heat in the case, which is sucked up via my top two side exhausts. Most of the heat from the 7990 comes out my bottom two side exhaust fans, some goes out the top two exhaust fans and a small amount gets pushed out the pci brackets via positive pressure.

YbMx6Bv.jpg

Last edited:
Yes the old one still had a small touch of throttling in certain situations.

Yes, I noticed on one of the benches I was running - valley I think it was.

Seem to be able to lower the voltage with the new bios. 1.12v is now completely stable whereas I could not go lower than 1.3 before. Going to push for 1.11 next.

Frustratingly though there seems to be a 10C difference between my cores at the same load (GPU1) being the higher of the two.

FPS has improved across the board - have also updated to the beta driver, so that could be helping things along too I guess.

Edit: seems stable at 1.115v now. Much improved over my previous 1.13v :)

Looking at my ASIC quality I have 61% and 67%. Would that account for the difference in temps that I am seeing?

Last edited:
Frustratingly though there seems to be a 10C difference between my cores at the same load (GPU1) being the higher of the two.

FPS has improved across the board - have also updated to the beta driver, so that could be helping things along too I guess.

Edit: seems stable at 1.115v now. Much improved over my previous 1.13v :)

Looking at my ASIC quality I have 61% and 67%. Would that account for the difference in temps that I am seeing?

It would indeed im afraid. The Asus 7990 i got from OcuK was the same. Such a big difference in Asics will see that . I think AIB's should bin for this but i guess Asus don't bother. The XFX i have has almost identical asics, temps are identical or within 1c of each other. Great for my OCD. :D

N79Jl5R.jpg.png

Thx Matt, 1 or 2 monitors?

One monitor mate. If you have two i'd expect another 5-10c on the idle temp.

Last edited:
I have just tested the power this xfx 7990 is pulling from the wall with a plug in electricity monitor ,I got it from maplin for £10 .I have an i7 2600k overclocked to a 4.6 I ran a heaven benchmark to test and cant believe the watts its pulling on the last part it was pulling 766 watts. card was at 1150 core 1650 mem volts 12.18 think I need a new psu my antec 750 is not up to the job .

before I forget thanks mate for all your free help with this card your bios has helped so much in bf4, game was crap with original bios cheers.

Just a heads up guys ive added a new bios to the OP.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18558655

The new bios has a slightly higher TDP as the old one still throttled a bit. I highly recommend everyone update, if you haven't already. There is no longer 50% power tune on the new bios as the TDP has been raised so its no longer needed.

I would highly recommend the new BIOS, works great for me :)

I have just tested the power this xfx 7990 is pulling from the wall with a plug in electricity monitor ,I got it from maplin for £10 .I have an i7 2600k overclocked to a 4.6 I ran a heaven benchmark to test and cant believe the watts its pulling on the last part it was pulling 766 watts. card was at 1150 core 1650 mem volts 12.18 think I need a new psu my antec 750 is not up to the job .

before I forget thanks mate for all your free help with this card your bios has helped so much in bf4, game was crap with original bios cheers.

Happy to help. My experience with the 7950 Boost meant that as soon as i got my mits on a 7990 i discovered its achilles heel within minutes.

I would highly recommend the new BIOS, works great for me :)

Glad its working perfectly. Now enjoy the fps! :cool:

I am going to look at lowering the voltage now to lower temps.

Just ran Heaven on 1175mV and it ran fine. What are the best benchmarking programs to use for testing? Are any actual games more demanding than benchmarking software?

I would rather not be stable on benchmarking but then fail when booting up high end games.

I am going to look at lowering the voltage now to lower temps.

Just ran Heaven on 1175mV and it ran fine. What are the best benchmarking programs to use for testing? Are any actual games more demanding than benchmarking software?

I would rather not be stable on benchmarking but then fail when booting up high end games.

Farcry 3 will sniff out an unstable core quicker than you can say bernard matthews. I'd highly recommend that. For example my card is stable in BF4 at 1.125v 1000/1500. But when i run farcry 3 it crashes within minutes unless i have the voltage at 1.135v 1000/1500. So i run 1.135v/1500 24/7 now. :)

Couple of hours of BF4 with vsync off. 84c peak temp, auto fan, very quiet.

aZGBJiQ.jpg

Anyone know why my fans are nearly 1000rpm (one at 60% the other near 80%) in difference, the core and vrm temps are the same on both gpus, in fact the lower one is hotter lol?

qNBeS7J.png

Harsh... One card is in the 90-94c bracket after playing a round of BF4.

Fan profile custom - set to run at 100% after 50c.

The back of the cards are red hot to touch.

Back
Top Bottom