• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Hi Ltmatt,

Just received a msi 7990 today, along with a corsair rm 850, I'm well excited to get it up and running.

Coming from a single 7970, which had your ab fan profile running for god knows how long. =)

Would love to flash your bios, but haven't even turned the system on yet, if I install the latest beta's which bios should I go for, would it help if I post what mine has?

I respect you for the effort you put into helping people.

Cheers.

Received mine today, came with a pair of 6pin to 8pin PCI-E power adapters, I understand that the probably are a couple of PSU's out there which pre-date the 8pin PCI-E standard which are quite capable of running a HD7990 but still I can't help that feel including them with the card is a bit of a recipe for disaster, power without responsibility and all :P

Hi Ltmatt,

Just received a msi 7990 today, along with a corsair rm 850, I'm well excited to get it up and running.

Coming from a single 7970, which had your ab fan profile running for god knows how long. =)

Would love to flash your bios, but haven't even turned the system on yet, if I install the latest beta's which bios should I go for, would it help if I post what mine has?

I respect you for the effort you put into helping people.

Cheers.

Use this bios.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=25335363#post25335363

What clocks, voltage settings, fan speed, case air flow setup are you using? More details plox.

Standard clocks and voltage at the moment. CPU is i7 2700k @ 4.4Ghz, cooled by Corsair H100i. I have a couple of scythe gentle typhoons @ less than 1000rpm blowing over the card from the front and 1 blowing out the back of the case.

I have the same with my 7990. In my case, with vsync on its a crackling/buzzing noise. If I take vsync off it becomes more of a high pitched squeal.

I tested with Ati tool, usual coil whine but really loud, louder than my 7970!

I wonder if the Corsair Rx 850 i received today is to blame? The psu itself is silent.

Is everybody hearing this crackling/buzzing noise on the desktop in Idle whilst moving windows around?

Even highlighting my text here in the forum produces the buzzing!

I booted into safe mode to run DDU, in safe mode there was no buzzing on the desktop, as you know its running at a much lower resolution.

Last edited:
I have my MSI 7990 here ( going to compare it against my GTX 690 ) so I will let ya know how bad the coil whine is. I will flash it and install it later. Depending on what happens I may keep it or not. ( Also depends if I take Litecoin mining up )

I have my MSI 7990 here ( going to compare it against my GTX 690 ) so I will let ya know how bad the coil whine is. I will flash it and install it later. Depending on what happens I may keep it or not. ( Also depends if I take Litecoin mining up )

I dont mind if the card squeals, hopefully i can tame that with using vsync/cap fps.

But as I listen to music using Open headphones, I dont want to hear buzzing whilst browsing the web.

Update, Gpu-z reports that the card in idle is at 150/300 (mem/gpu(, dragging a window around makes the clocks shoot up to 1000/1500.

Last edited:
Ahh sound wise - I use a 5.1 Onkyo amp with Mission speakers so it may or may not bother me........ Plus I have the PS4 and Xbox one / Wii U / Ps3 as well all attached so a lot of noise normally anyway. It all depends how bad it is.

Should be able to let ya know in a couple of hours.

Just a silly little question for Matt,

I have installed Beta Drivers / MSI Afterburner as per your thread on checking crossfire is working.

BUT I do not have the Catalyst Crossfire section to check/tick.

But I can set Frame Pacing and when I right click on the tray and set the AMD Crossfire Status Icon (Where applicable). Does this mean it is working? Or am I being a complete **** and missed something really obvious. MSI Afterburner indicates GPU 2 isn't doing anything.

I am on Windows 7 if that is any help.

Just a silly little question for Matt,

I have installed Beta Drivers / MSI Afterburner as per your thread on checking crossfire is working.

BUT I do not have the Catalyst Crossfire section to check/tick.

But I can set Frame Pacing and when I right click on the tray and set the AMD Crossfire Status Icon (Where applicable). Does this mean it is working? Or am I being a complete **** and missed something really obvious. MSI Afterburner indicates GPU 2 isn't doing anything.

I am on Windows 7 if that is any help.

Yes a 7990 does not have the option for some reason. However you can still disable crossfire if needed by creating a CCC application profile for the game. :)

Back
Top Bottom