• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***official amd 83x0 overclocking thread***

Soldato
If you can see similar performance with low temps then that sounds good!

By the looks of it most cores will go 5Ghz but insane cooling is required. I think I would be happy with 4.5Ghz for day to day use.

4.9ghz is where it is at! lol

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
You will every time on a better board tbh...

I certainly won't make the mistake of buying a cheap board again.

I agree, if you class the Sabertooth as thoroughbred also. My last board was MSI P45 Platinum and had plenty of features, overclocking good too.

Listening to the feedback on the mosfets etc getting hot is there a few solutions people have looked at to combat i.e. USB fan like one here:

usb_fan_2_500.jpg

Soldato
Just installed 8.1 preview, definitely improves multicore performance!

Without touching or tweaking anything Cinebench score gone from 759 to 778 @ 4.9ghz

Soldato
BF4 Bench results...playing gfx set ultra

2013-10-12 10:54:32 - bf4
Frames: 35328 - Time: 514328ms - Avg: 68.688 - Min: 47 - Max: 110

Associate
Just bought a HD7970 Platinum off overclockers for £235
My new rig is complete :D

You'll love it ouzodan, just installed one in my rig to replace a 770GTX because of 2GB vram buffer on it etc.

Fire strike

GTX770 @ 1297 core 3705 Vram (max oc I could do on this card) - 7280

Stock 7970 Matrix Plat 1100core 6600 vram - 7420

Clocked by just 50mhz - 7578 This thing is brutal!! :D

Soldato
Either that or Vista was seriously holding me back!

In software that works properly Win 8 will net you a 10% difference. Same goes for 3dmark tbh.

How much of that increase is down to a clean install ?

None of it. Windows 8 was designed to support the FX CPUs properly. The same thing happened with the Athlon XP. Windows ME etc hated it, XP supported it properly. There are a couple of bodged hot fixes for Win 7 but they don't work very well.

If you have an FX you must use Windows 8 as much as it may hurt.

Last edited:
Associate
You'll love it ouzodan, just installed one in my rig to replace a 770GTX because of 2GB vram buffer on it etc.

Fire strike

GTX770 @ 1297 core 3705 Vram (max oc I could do on this card) - 7280

Stock 7970 Matrix Plat 1100core 6600 vram - 7420

Clocked by just 50mhz - 7578 This thing is brutal!! :D

This excites me muchly, I was holding off on getting one because the price went up a fair amount had a look this morning and prices were back down so thought I jump in & get one now.

Im already auctioning off my old 6850's

Last edited:

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
In software that works properly Win 8 will net you a 10% difference. Same goes for 3dmark tbh.

None of it. Windows 8 was designed to support the FX CPUs properly. The same thing happened with the Athlon XP. Windows ME etc hated it, XP supported it properly. There are a couple of bodged hot fixes for Win 7 but they don't work very well.

If you have an FX you must use Windows 8 as much as it may hurt.

got any data ?
links to some comparisons maybe.

Personally I would like to see what difference it would make using something like handbrake.

Don't give a fig about 3dmark or BF4

Soldato
got any data ?
links to some comparisons maybe.

Personally I would like to see what difference it would make using something like handbrake.

Don't give a fig about 3dmark or BF4

Yeah I got some data mate :) firstly the FX series do not work properly in Windows 7. There are many reasons for this, but mostly it's because Win 7 simply does not work with the architecture properly. The most notable problems (IE the things people noticed and relayed back to Microsoft) were that the CPU acts erratically in Win 7). Most notably -

Core parking. The CPU will simply park the cores randomly, screwing up multi threaded performance.

Cache dumping. The CPU will dump its cache mid operation. You can read about both here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2646060

However, even with the fixes it didn't seem to make much difference to me. AMD released Bulldozer after Windows 7 had launched so it was a bit too late.

Here is a 3Dmark Firestrike score of mine on Windows 7. Hardware as per my sig :)

And one using Windows 8.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1340792?

I have overclocked a bit more since then but the best I could manage was 9020 overall. I'm now over 10,000.

Cinebench is another app that reacts well to the OS change. In fact, *anything* that wants to use the FX to 100% (IE all 8 cores) will see the same sort of results.

Back
Top Bottom