*** Official Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Thread ***

In games like counter strike nobody used the Shotguns, or the pistols, or anything other than AK / M4 and maybe a sniper rifle.

Guess what, thats exactly what happens in the real world. People dont bring a pistol, or a UMP to a battlefield. They are used in close quarter room clearances only.

I would much rather be able to kill people with smgs, and shotguns, and pistols as it means that people vary what gun they use. Its more fun to be able to choose from lots of different weapos knowing they will be of use Unlike in CS where everybody just used the assault rifles and nothing else.

Your points are valid, but there are some flaws.

Firstly, almost true except for 1 shotgun used sometimes and 2 pistols used quite often.

Secondly, dont forget its a game. Real sniper rifles are anything but mobile. (Considering a barrett weighs like 15kg and is massive). If it was completely realistic there would be no sniping. (not to mention other things like jumping 15ft with no ill effects to speak of)

As for using different weapons, yeah sure its nice for variety but the fact there are weapons that are strong all round makes having a variety pointless. How often do you see people using an F2000 or vector? Almost never compared to M16, UMP, ACR etc.

Dont forget, in counter strike assault rifles have quite a large spread range when you spray it, which unless you know how to counter means at long ranges you have almost zero chance of hitting your target without burst firing. This means a sniper is actually a very good match for an assault rifle, being 1 shot kill and requireing a decent amount of skill to use well. This is not the case in MW2 at all.

My problem basically is this:

Snipers dont always (read often) kill in 1 bullet, assault rifles can kill in 2-3 bullets at the same range. This makes sniping ineffective and almost useless.

The fix is simple. Make snipers always 1 shot kill and/or give assault rifles a slight sway/spread range and/or less damage over range.

Snipers dont always (read often) kill in 1 bullet, assault rifles can kill in 2-3 bullets at the same range. This makes sniping ineffective and almost useless.

The fix is simple. Make snipers always 1 shot kill and/or give assault rifles a slight sway/spread range and/or less damage over range.

Agreed 100%

Your points are valid, but there are some flaws.

Firstly, almost true except for 1 shotgun used sometimes and 2 pistols used quite often.

Secondly, dont forget its a game. Real sniper rifles are anything but mobile. (Considering a barrett weighs like 15kg and is massive). If it was completely realistic there would be no sniping. (not to mention other things like jumping 15ft with no ill effects to speak of)

As for using different weapons, yeah sure its nice for variety but the fact there are weapons that are strong all round makes having a variety pointless. How often do you see people using an F2000 or vector? Almost never compared to M16, UMP, ACR etc.

Dont forget, in counter strike assault rifles have quite a large spread range when you spray it, which unless you know how to counter means at long ranges you have almost zero chance of hitting your target without burst firing. This means a sniper is actually a very good match for an assault rifle, being 1 shot kill and requireing a decent amount of skill to use well. This is not the case in MW2 at all.

Totally agree and this is what puts me off Sniping in MW2. I am far from an expert with snipers but it is a no brainer anywhere hit on the body or head should be one shot kill (stopping power would never be required & shouldn’t be required for snipers). If, however you are like me and are very VERY poor with snipers (still practising!) I more often than not hit feet and that means serious loss of limb but not one shot kill - last stand should be the minimum of outcomes!!

Must say I like the new maps and maybe I have been lucky with any cheating aspects of the game. I tend to only play with a mate 1 day a week and normally only TDM. I think I stated on a previous post I like the fact that all games seem to be different. I can be really good one game and the next awful but shouldn’t it be like that? Maybe that’s why the likes of some of you guys get bored & irritated easily…………..a victim of your success! ;)

Agreed 100%

But i like out-ranging snipers with the red dot ACR :(

The only thing that would stop me make rifles less accurate for balance would be the camping factor for snipers. IMO the one-hit kill and long distance mean that majority of the time you can't see them when you get killed. The second time you will generally know where they are (as they never seem to want to move much), but even then the rifle vs. sniper battle is usually fairly even. IMO if they miss their first and maybe second shot, then they deserve to get taken down. Otherwise I worry we will see more snipers camping prone in the corners of maps.

*edit* if they were to do anything to increase sniper damage, then they would need to reduce the damage even further when the silencer is used. Undetectable one-hit kill machines would be stupid (ie they dont need stopping power..etc anymore). I actually think its better now forcing snipers who want more one-hit kills to use stopping power, as it limits the camping.

Last edited:
*edit* if they were to do anything to increase sniper damage, then they would need to reduce the damage even further when the silencer is used. Undetectable one-hit kill machines would be stupid (ie they dont need stopping power..etc anymore). I actually think its better now forcing snipers who want more one-hit kills to use stopping power, as it limits the camping.

Fine by me, silenced sniping shouldnt even be possible imo.

The problem is stopping power doesnt even help that much, should make it 100% 1 shot, keep silenced sniper damge as it is now, its almost impossible to get a 1 hit kill, and implement my above fixes.

Game would be almost perfect.

Thing is, i dont think the game as it is is broken. Not in that respect.

In games like counter strike nobody used the Shotguns, or the pistols, or anything other than AK / M4 and maybe a sniper rifle.

Guess what, thats exactly what happens in the real world. People dont bring a pistol, or a UMP to a battlefield. They are used in close quarter room clearances only.

So yes making all the other guns like the pistols, smgs, machine guns etc.. of no use would be more accurate, but then it would just be like CS where nobody used the different guns.

How useless was the M249 in CS ? nobody used it because it wasnt as good as the Ak / m4 in 1 on 1 short range warfare. Which is what its like in the real world.

I would much rather be able to kill people with smgs, and shotguns, and pistols as it means that people vary what gun they use. Its more fun to be able to choose from lots of different weapos knowing they will be of use Unlike in CS where everybody just used the assault rifles and nothing else.

What version of CS where you playing? I used virtually all the guns in CS. The pistols and shotguns were used all the time. My favouite gun was the glock with one shot to the head. You needed skill but it was the best gun for proving your ability.

Admitedly I havent played for a few years but generally I used all the guns in the game over a few rounds. Its what made the game so great when you didnt have much money and were trying to rescue some hostages with only a pistol and body armour against a group equipped with AKs. Take one out and grab his gun...brilliant fun.

What version of CS where you playing? I used virtually all the guns in CS. The pistols and shotguns were used all the time. My favouite gun was the glock with one shot to the head. You needed skill but it was the best gun for proving your ability.

I wouldnt call pistols and shotguns virtually all guns lol. They are used, aks and m4s, sometimes mp5 i like but the rest is useless. CS:s im talking about btw, dont know if you mean 1.6 i never played that.

I wouldnt call pistols and shotguns virtually all guns lol. They are used, aks and m4s, sometimes mp5 i like but the rest is useless. CS:s im talking about btw, dont know if you mean 1.6 i never played that.

Yes I am talking CSS. I was only giving an example. But yes I would say I used all the guns at sometime or another during a game.

All the pistols were good. Glock was the worst on single fire but up close on burst it was lethal. Deagle was a killing machine.

Shotguns were both good too. Auto was a fav with taking people down quick, needed a few more shots but still great. Single fire shot gun was slow loading but generally took them down in one shot up close.

Machine pistol took some getting used to, but once you got used to the burst it was deadly. Uzi I didnt like as much but still useful.

UMP45 I found you either liked it or hated it but the MP5 was the weapon of choice if you didnt quite have enough for an M4.

P90 was a fav for rushers due to the high ammo and the fire rate.

Defender wasnt used by many but I actually liked this gun. Immense fire power on full auto.

Ak and m4 easily the best guns. Ak for single headshots and m4 still great at headshots but slightly better overal. (I think this depended on my mood tho).

The Aug was often used as a sniper gun for me. Amazing accuracy yet still great close up.

The Krieg was amazing early on then they patched it. Much like the Aug in style of play but it was evil before they `fixed` it. Damn then! :D

The M249 although was horrendous at hitting, was still great fun to use with its neverending ammo lol Could also be used as a single shot gun but way too expensive to buy often unless you were rolling in he cash.

The auto sniper (cant remember its name) was just stupidly insane. We usually had it banned from our server.

But yeah I would confidently say I used ALL the guns that were available and not just the m4 and ak, even when I had the money to buy those guns. :p

Very tempted to give this a try again but I know I would get pwned! :D

Last edited:
Agreed 100%

Also agreed. I prefer getting killed by a sniper any day than an RPD'er. I've been on CoD4 today for about 2 hours trying to quickscope (failing horribly mind you) and I'd say around 80% of the time I got killed by a very nice shot from a sniper rifle. - Only problem is that my mates play MW2.

I hope that Black Ops gets it right for everybody this time.

Yeah noticed this the other day, just don't go near that bit of the map and they get very bored

There were 2 people in there boosting, couldn't let them get away with it! :D

edit: Just played a game of HC:HQ where we were on 190-30 and just as it got to 195 some guy called in a nuke! Really does illustrate how broken this game is that instead of playing the game mode to win he can just camp for a nuke :mad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom