Official DFI NF4Ultra-D/SLi owners thread.

After 2 days of tessting and contacting Crucial support it seems that my new 2gig ballistix PC4000 memory are duff :(

anything above 220mhz causes memtest to fail. Even at 200mhz my pc runs poorly (9000 3d05 points aposed to 13000+)

I got these to replace my 2gig corsair mem that died when my old mobo went pop so I am a bit annoyed.

Gonna RMA them

booooooooooooo

n30_mkii said:
Urgent Question:

I was having no problems with the original 2005/01/25 BIOS, but thought i would update to the latest official N4D623-3 BIOS. I have the 2 gig corsair XMS3200 kit that was on offer a couple of weeks back. I have set the same timings and voltages in the BIOS as before, but applications are randomly crashing and running the built in memtest86 im gettings thousands of errors? anyone think of anything obvious? they are running at 2,3,3,6 2T interleaving disabled at 2.9V

Should i reflash to the earlier BIOS? should i set the main timings and leave everything else on auto? im in a bit of a mess....surely the latest BIOS should be more reliable/compatible than the earlier one?

Have you tried the yellow slots?

I ordered an NF4-SLI-D with the same Corsair RAM as you. Unfortunately it tunrned out that one of the DIMMs was duff and is now back at OCUK for replacement.

I have some OCZ 4000 Gold here so I tried that in the Orange slots and got crashes. Tried memtest and got lots of errors, similar to what you experienced.
Tried the yellow slots and it was fine.

Haven't tried to OC it yet so can't comment on that, but I know people say the orange slots are supposed to be more stable.

I am now awaiting the return of the Corsair to see what they do in the different slots, but I am kind of wondering if the mobo is knackered.

I am using the last official BIOS ast the time 10305 I think it is.

V.

Having massive problems with this board and PC4000 ballistix memory. Any help would be most appreciated. I have a 1gig chip and a 512MB chip, and I want to use the two of them together, is this my first mistake?

Anyhow, I had the system running stable with the 1gig chip until windows got corrupted and the motherboard refused to boot with anything but the 512 chip. I tried to change the RAM timings to those recommended by OCUK, but the only result is that the board now wont boot at all. I've never been able to get the board to boot with both chips at once.

There are so many beta bioses availiable, i have no idea where to start with them, and am just trying to get the system stable again now. I have a horrible feeling it might have fried my expensive RAM. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Im not using a native 24-pin power supply, but instead a new tagan with a converter, so the official channels are ignoring me.

dont think you will get it stable with 2 different size dimms tbh mate because its such a picky mobo.
reset cmos and then try to boot with the 1gb dimm, i doubt you have fried the ram, more likely it doesnt like a setting youve set to in BIOS.

dougjustdoug said:
Having massive problems with this board and PC4000 ballistix memory. Any help would be most appreciated. I have a 1gig chip and a 512MB chip, and I want to use the two of them together, is this my first mistake?

Anyhow, I had the system running stable with the 1gig chip until windows got corrupted and the motherboard refused to boot with anything but the 512 chip. I tried to change the RAM timings to those recommended by OCUK, but the only result is that the board now wont boot at all. I've never been able to get the board to boot with both chips at once.

There are so many beta bioses availiable, i have no idea where to start with them, and am just trying to get the system stable again now. I have a horrible feeling it might have fried my expensive RAM. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Im not using a native 24-pin power supply, but instead a new tagan with a converter, so the official channels are ignoring me.

Hi if it's the new Tagen it is a 24 pin psu, do you mean the extra 4 pins that connect to the 20 pin? If its a 480 u01 or 480 u22 it is a real 24 pin psu, just wanted to try to emlimininate that because as you know the DFI people deem it essential.

dougjustdoug said:

Not going to like 2 different sticks mate.

I have just had to rma 2x 1gig sticks of this mem back to crucial direct as they are nacked!! :(

Couple more questions, my memory seems to be more unstable using the latest official bios -3 than the shipped version. Should i be using the -2 versions with 2X1 Gig corsair XMS3200 mem?

If so should i go for the

N4D623-2.zip(*)

or the latest beta

N4D702-2.zip(*)

Any issues, with the latest one? or a link to where i can find out more?

Thanks.

Also is this the correct page for the SLI-DR bios's? are they diamond flash or not?

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/114

What are peoples idle and load NF4 temps a due to the naff chipset location mine is always the same temp as my 7800gtx as it sucks in the exhaust from the gfx card :(

Mine idles at 52 and is 59 at load

I have looooads of case fans sucking nasty hot air out but the poor nf4 heatsink is just bathed in the hot gfx exhaust.

Thought about making a little git of ducting to let the nf4 fan draw some cooler air from elsewhere.

I looked on the DFI site for info on acceptable temp ranges to no avail.

Thanks for the advice, i now have it working again with the 512 stick, but it looks like an RMA is on the cards for the 1gig. As for when i get it back, would it make more sense to either buy a third stick of Ballistix or start again and get some RAM which the board likes better? Please let me know any successful 2 gig configurations which have worked ideally from the shipping bios. Thanks for all your help so far, particularly the tip on the PSU.

dougjustdoug said:
Thanks for the advice, i now have it working again with the 512 stick, but it looks like an RMA is on the cards for the 1gig. As for when i get it back, would it make more sense to either buy a third stick of Ballistix or start again and get some RAM which the board likes better? Please let me know any successful 2 gig configurations which have worked ideally from the shipping bios. Thanks for all your help so far, particularly the tip on the PSU.

Your welcome, glad to see you have found the cause :D

Steve said:
What are peoples idle and load NF4 temps a due to the naff chipset location mine is always the same temp as my 7800gtx as it sucks in the exhaust from the gfx card :(

Mine idles at 52 and is 59 at load

I have looooads of case fans sucking nasty hot air out but the poor nf4 heatsink is just bathed in the hot gfx exhaust.

Thought about making a little git of ducting to let the nf4 fan draw some cooler air from elsewhere.

I looked on the DFI site for info on acceptable temp ranges to no avail.

apparently its rated up to 100C though I think 60C and below is fine mate. mine doesnt go above 40C but I have a 92mm silent fan right over it.

dougjustdoug said:

theres a few people over on xtreme that have 2x1gb ballistix running nicely so I think that is a possibilty for you. i think you have just been unlucky with a dimm thats gone bad.

I thought it was decided upon that the XXX-1 BIOS was the general purpose one therefore the one to go with for those Corsair sticks, I remember there being a lot of confusion about it.

Should I be worried about this? Everything is at stock/defaults as far as I'm aware.

nvmwarning.gif

Stupid question...

But how do i flash the bios with this board? i just booted up with the 623 bios on a floppy and it said "please remove disk" or something like that. Isnt it meant to flash it automatically?

2 x Asus 6600GT's AND Arctic Cooling Nvidia 6? Will they Fit?

Hiya,

I bought 2xAsus Extreme 6600GT's to run in SLI on my DFI NF4 SLI-DR as in the reviews i read the coolers were very quiet!!! This has turned out to be complete rubbish and my once quiet pc sounds like it's trying to take off!! Therfore i need to quieten them down, well remove and burn them. I normally upgrade my cards with the Arctic Cooling range, but was unsure as to wether i'd get them to fit on this board in SLI???

Any ideas? I also have an Audigy 4 in the last PCI slot.

Thanx in Advance,

PoDd :)

Back
Top Bottom