Official DFI NF4Ultra-D/SLi owners thread.

OK, my CPU fan is set to turn on max when cpu temp reaches 25c. I have a freezer 64. When the FAN starts to turn, it turns ever so slightly and makes some weird noises, after it does that 3 to 4 times, it spins up 100% and it stops making that sound. :S

Is there any way of just allowing it to turn on 100% when I switch on the computer rather than waiting for it to reach 25c ?

Is that not the boot up? (the l.e.d.s) it'll check the cpu,mobo and ram is there and will then boot up. Think that might be why....

Has anyone replaced the original dfi chipset with something else? Everything in my case is silent apart from that now... :p Pics would be nice if you have changed the original Chipset hsf.

Gangster said:
Is that not the boot up? (the l.e.d.s) it'll check the cpu,mobo and ram is there and will then boot up. Think that might be why....

Has anyone replaced the original dfi chipset with something else? Everything in my case is silent apart from that now... :p Pics would be nice if you have changed the original Chipset hsf.

Go to page 95... and you cant miss it...

Guys,
anybody running 2x1Gb Kit of Ballistix on the SLI-DR.............if you're running succesfully could you tell us which Slots you are using?......what Bios rev for the board?....what timing setting?
Any help is greatly appreciated...........I've had 2X512 running on the board with no issues before...

Cheers men..

Im using 2 x 1GB of Ballistix Tracer in the green slots.

Mem timings are on auto as I cba/dont have time to tweak.

Bios is latest version which I flashed too when I got the board, with only 1 stick of mem installed.

So in answer to your question they work fine :)

Cheers Rab...
I'm not doing any tweaking at the moment myself........just would like to get it running stable. Before I got the DFi board I was a little concerned with all the talk of incompatibilty and such, but was pleasantly surprised when my 2x512 worked with no issues. I just changed out both of these with 2x1Gb and I have had at least 3 crashes in the last day and this is all with the latest official bios. Funny thing is I was playing BF2 for about 2 hrs solid without problems, crashes were only out at the desktop without much going on.
Hope I don't have dodgy sticks..

Erm Im unsure if Rabtech experience on the MSI K8N Neo Plat with the mem will help you directly on the SLI-DR, but I havent heard the board having major issues with the mem (tho nothing specific regards the 2GB kit).

I suggest you use memtest to isolate the fact the mem is dodgy, if its fine you may wanna muck around with the timings, tho I guess slightly upping the voltage should sort out the 'random' crashes - tho Im surprised that it would need that if you are running it stock (Jedec reference it seems aswell)...

@aftershxck - Soz mate Ive not started to o/c yet so left voltage as auto - as I understood it the mobo pumps a bit more voltage than what it advises in the BIOS (thats from what Jimbo Mahoney said - might wanna do a search for his posts to check the extent and if it was a one-off)

ps3ud0 :cool:

What is some good temperature monitoring software for this board? anything will do aslong as its works ok

I have my setup under my desk in a confined area and it's getting rather hot...

Also under load with a 4400+ whats a temperature level that is acceptable/normal on air cooling?

ps3ud0 said:
Erm Im unsure if Rabtech experience on the MSI K8N Neo Plat with the mem will help you directly on the SLI-DR, but I havent heard the board having major issues with the mem (tho nothing specific regards the 2GB kit).

My sig is old mate, I have a new system based on a 4400+ and DFI NF4 SLI-DR w/ 2 x 1GB Ballistix Tracer. A agree that memtest is the way to go in this situation if there are still problems.

Cheers for the clear up...

I dno if Im colour-blind, but Im sure my SLI-DR doesnt have green slots (yellow and orange yes) - why I assumed you were on a different mobo - have DFI changed the colouration of the mobo now?

Cheers for the replies lads..
I was actually running Memtest earlier. At one point it was failing and after having done nothing more that clearing the CMOS, it passed. I'm still not convinced that the problem has gone away as the problem seems to be an intermittent one rather than something that can be replicated.
It's very frustrating considering how stable I had the system before changing the memory. Might just keep an eye on it and try a couple of different bios :mad: :(
Anybody else with the 2gb Ballistix......chip in with your own stories pls

I'm getting up to 64c on my 4400+ under load at 2.4ghz, which is very high... it should be around 20c lower. But i have my comp in like a cabinet under the desk and all the hot air gets trapped in there...

SO... does a XP-120 / XP-90 fit this board? or any other very good air coolers that anyone can recommend?
i really need something that does the job well... and also i'd like it if it's not too noisey!

Last edited:
ps3ud0 said:
Cheers for the clear up...

I dno if Im colour-blind, but Im sure my SLI-DR doesnt have green slots (yellow and orange yes) - why I assumed you were on a different mobo - have DFI changed the colouration of the mobo now?

Admittingly I thought the slots were green without taking my case side off. To clarify - my sticks are in the orange slots - I have the side off my case - I was posting from work earlier - sorry :O

MR.B said:
I'm getting up to 64c on my 4400+ under load at 2.4ghz, which is very high... it should be around 20c lower. But i have my comp in like a cabinet under the desk and all the hot air gets trapped in there...

SO... does a XP-120 / XP-90 fit this board? or any other very good air coolers that anyone can recommend?
i really need something that does the job well... and also i'd like it if it's not too noisey!
XP90c with a YS-Tech 92mm fan. That ought to do the trick. :) OR XP120 + YS-Tech 120x38mm on a fan controller and yes I believe they do fit - I've seen pics of them mounted.

Cheers Smids
What would be better for noise levels, XP-90 or XP-120? i hope they fit ok and i dont have to go bending capacitors or anything...

XP120 would be quiet as it's just a larger fan. Performance wise, the 90c and the 120 perform are very similar. Umm, I'll see if I can find a link to the pics of the 120 on this board - over at xtremesystems.

Yeah it fits as Ive got one so youll be fine - just read your comments on the 4400+ thread, I would also check your airflow since you dont have a front fan intake for some reason and since your case is in a cabinet surely only the front actually has real access to the environment...

I think that its probably making your system warmer than it should be since its probably quite difficult for it to introduce cold air to the components to cool them down...

Id add a front fan which should help aswell, otherwise I doubt the XP120 will drop your CPU temps by much...

P.S. Before a Mod sees - your sig is way too big Im afraid - 4 lines of text max...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom