Official DFI NF4Ultra-D/SLi owners thread.

Soldato
It sounds like you have some monitoring program set to alarm at a temperature which causes an increase in fan speed. I have never heard of that problem before though. It would appear to be the gfx card because videos (dependant on settings) and games can both stress the card.

Permabanned
smids said:
:eek: Your sig. R507 Mach II? That's like a Mach II GT II :p. Temps?

Anyway, yeah, no SLi. I'm pretty sure you still can mod the chipset to run SLi. It's just a case of soldering one bridge to enable it - unless they have put some special cuts in there now :confused:

yep very cold, prob -70 on the head with no load ;). You have to bridge stuff as you say but i think they did make lasercuts after a certain revision to stop this.

Soldato
My friend recently got the DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D and it took him about one day just to set it up(he knows much more about computers than me). I read somewhere that these mobos are really complex and not reccomended to newbies or first builders. I am building my first system soon and I was planning to get the DFI but he gave the advice to buy an Asus A8N-E first and then then move on to the more complicated stuff(the DFI). It will be my first time building a computer and I am a newbie at this stuff. What should I do guys :confused: .

Associate
KizZ said:
My friend recently got the DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D and it took him about one day just to set it up(he knows much more about computers than me). I read somewhere that these mobos are really complex and not reccomended to newbies or first builders. I am building my first system soon and I was planning to get the DFI but he gave the advice to buy an Asus A8N-E first and then then move on to the more complicated stuff(the DFI). It will be my first time building a computer and I am a newbie at this stuff. What should I do guys :confused: .

The DFI is a good board but not for beginners that's for sure, they can be very tricky to set up anyway but if your new to it I would recommend something more user friendly maybe Asus I haven't used one for a while but they were much easier to work with as far as I can remember.

Soldato
kimandsally said:
The DFI is a good board but not for beginners that's for sure, they can be very tricky to set up anyway but if your new to it I would recommend something more user friendly maybe Asus I haven't used one for a while but they were much easier to work with as far as I can remember.

Thanks for the advice mate, I will think about it :D .

Last edited:
Associate
Just got my DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR got up and running just wondering if any knows what setting in the bios need to start looking at.
Running FX55 chip with OCZ PC5000.
Like what is Cpu bottleneck set at 50%.
Whats the best Overclock settings ??
Any help much appricated.
Beer will be in de post. :)

Associate
man this thread has grown a bit since i last came on here, but i havent changed my bios since the board came out and i flashed it a few weeks late it was 210? or something like that and its been running fine but i'm going to get a venice chip now so do i need to upgrade the bios or is there just a more stable bios for overclocking now? Also if i was to flash with the new bios what would i do with my RAID array or would it just keep it for me automatically?

cheers

Soldato
Taken from 1st page.
For people who boot from raid arrays
*If you have a USB keyboard remember to enable USB Keyboard support in Bios found under Integrated peripherals.
1. Flash with the new bios and when complete turn off the computer and clear cmos.
2. Power up the computer and enter bios, go to Integrated Peripherals -> Raid Config, In Raid Config set Internal Phy SATA 1-4 to enabled (and the Silicon image ones if you have the 'DR' flavour and you have your array on these channels)
4. If you have a USB keyboard enable USB Keyboard support also in Integrated Peripherals
3. Save and exit the bios
4. When prompted by the NVRaid bios screen (After POST) press F10 to enter the raid setup. If all has gone well you should see your Raid array has been detected and showing as Healthy.
5. Press Cntrl-X to exit Raid setup and your comp should boot as normal.[/QUOTE]

Permabanned
Has anyone had any trouble running 4x512 sticks of ram with these mobos? Running 2 sticks has never been a problem. Since running 4 sticks my pc is fine, totally rock solid from cold. If I have been using my pc, say for 30min and everything has 'warmed up' and I turn off my pc, if I try to power my pc back up it will not even get to the post screen and just keeps beeping at me.

1. I have just changed my cpu to a X2 4400 so I know it's nothing to do with a cpu.
2. I have loaded loads of different bios's and still get the same problem.
3. My case is never hot inside (sit's on average 30c)
4. I have a 120mm fan directly over the ram (for active cooling)
5. I get this problem running even at stock speeds, and the lowest amount of voltage required for the ram (3.2v I believe). So it's not an overclocking problem.

It definately seems to be a heat problem as it always starts up from cold no problems with 4x sticks. If it starts beeping at me and I leave it for a couple of hours or so it will boot again - OR if I take out 2 sticks of ram and it will boot up.

Could it be something to do with the northbridged perhaps?

Anyone got any ideas. I have had this problem for a little while now and have gotten used to it (basically I never turn off my pc, unless I know im not going to use it for a while) but I know I should not have to live this problem.

Associate
Having looked around at all the bios versions i cant decide which one to get i've got my mind set on either the official N4D623-3 or the oskar wu beta N4D623-1 for my tccd ram any tips?

Man of Honour
My DFI still wants to beep when I start watching vids / playing graphics / cpu hungry games. I've had a search of the bios settings but can't find anything that stands out to notify me of anything getting a bit too hot.

Would an X850 XT (OcUK) card have a beeper on it, if that's causing it?

Caporegime
DaveyD said:
My DFI still wants to beep when I start watching vids / playing graphics / cpu hungry games. I've had a search of the bios settings but can't find anything that stands out to notify me of anything getting a bit too hot.

Would an X850 XT (OcUK) card have a beeper on it, if that's causing it?

No the card won't have a beeper, does the system still run when its beeping?

Sounds like a possible PSU issue, what are your rails like underload?

Man of Honour
Minstadave said:
No the card won't have a beeper, does the system still run when its beeping?

Sounds like a possible PSU issue, what are your rails like underload?

Hmm, I'll have to check that, my PSU has been playing up a bit recently, well, making a sort of ticky sound (Globalwin 450W 19dB), but I've not had a restart / BSOD on this PC for a long time.

Associate
Scoobie Dave said:
Has anyone had any trouble running 4x512 sticks of ram with these mobos? Running 2 sticks has never been a problem. Since running 4 sticks my pc is fine, totally rock solid from cold. If I have been using my pc, say for 30min and everything has 'warmed up' and I turn off my pc, if I try to power my pc back up it will not even get to the post screen and just keeps beeping at me.

1. I have just changed my cpu to a X2 4400 so I know it's nothing to do with a cpu.
2. I have loaded loads of different bios's and still get the same problem.
3. My case is never hot inside (sit's on average 30c)
4. I have a 120mm fan directly over the ram (for active cooling)
5. I get this problem running even at stock speeds, and the lowest amount of voltage required for the ram (3.2v I believe). So it's not an overclocking problem.

It definately seems to be a heat problem as it always starts up from cold no problems with 4x sticks. If it starts beeping at me and I leave it for a couple of hours or so it will boot again - OR if I take out 2 sticks of ram and it will boot up.

Could it be something to do with the northbridged perhaps?

Anyone got any ideas. I have had this problem for a little while now and have gotten used to it (basically I never turn off my pc, unless I know im not going to use it for a while) but I know I should not have to live this problem.

zixiazhang said:
Having looked around at all the bios versions i cant decide which one to get i've got my mind set on either the official N4D623-3 or the oskar wu beta N4D623-1 for my tccd ram any tips?

Try the 704-2bta bios. Solves heaps, stable 4 sticks 'o ram, more options in bios. Sorted!

Soldato
My chipset fan is dieing, making horrid noises and temps have suffered too. Wondered if anyone as replaced theirs with an actively cooled alternative, not interested in passive stuff really. Not sure if they'd do an RMA just for the chipset HSF.

Man of Honour
My SLI-D has now decided to play a silly and very annoying game...

I'm running it with 2 x 512MB Corsair XMS4400, which I know can sometimes cause issues. Now here's thing: a couple of weeks ago when I'd put the rig together, I did the usual testing. I could get the RAM up to 290MHz fully stable, and the CPU at 2700MHz fully stable (3700+ San Diego). I left the rig at 270 x 10.0 for over a week with no issues, but then it started to crash/lock in Far Cry. I backed down to 2600 (289 x 9.0) and that was fine for a couple of days. The the thing started to BSOD all the time. I tried dropping the RAM/CPU ration to 180/200 and all was fine. For about two days, then more BSODs. Since then I've been lowering and lowering the settings to try to stop the stability troubles. Finally last night I discovered that the issue was that the RAM would no longer play with this board. My old XMS3500 is fine, and the 4400 is fine in my NF7, but even at 200MHz the 4400 BSODs within minutes in this board, at any BIOS settings you care to try.

So what has happened? This rig was rock solid with this hardware at pretty good settings for two weeks, no it won't even lift off the ground. The BIOS is the same. It's not software because a) Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit have the same issues, and b) as I said, if I swap the RAM it goes away. I can't think of anything that has changed that is common to both boots. I really do not want to buy different RAM, but that seems to be the only solution ATM.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm reluctant to try a beta BIOS because it won't answer the question: why did it work before, but not now?

M

Back
Top Bottom