Official DFI NF4Ultra-D/SLi owners thread.

Soldato
Ok some more questions. :)

Just installed this board today and the RAM is in the 2x Yellow slots? Is this ok? I have an XP-120 HS and so can't get it in the other orange RAM slot.

Secondly, the graphics card is in the bottom PCI-E slot as when in the top one its resting against the HS + 120mm fan! Is it ok being in the bottom one as I feel it is more sensible?

:o

Thanks!

Caporegime
Would be useful if you give us your spec :p - Id be surprised your RAM doesnt fit in the orange slots unless they have massive heatspreaders - will be fine in the yellow slots, but it depends on what BIOS you are using and the type of RAM chips...

Im pretty sure its fine in the 2nd PCIe slot, tho make sure you have the SLI jumpers on SLI to spilt the 16x slot to 8x/8x (tho I personally dont think the default 2x really affects the GFX performance really, tho for a 7800 series make sure you do change it)...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
I've read several posts (some in this thread I think - do a search) that say you can fit the RAM in the orange slots 2&4 (preferable as these slots consistently overclock better) with the XP-120 if you fit it facing the other direction (i.e. it's only possible if you fit in one way).

You can put the Graphics card in the bottom slot, but it will be marginally slower. If it's resting against the HSF on the southbridge it doesn't matter (my 7800GTX does too - it's a big piece of kit) as long as the fan spins freely.

Soldato
It only really makes sense to fit the 120 round one way so I'd be hugely suprised if firegod fitted it 'the other way'. As such, it may look hard to fit the ram into the orange slots, but if you just hold it horizontally until you get to the slot and then almost turn it into the slot it fits quite easily - that's how I did it myself.

fini

Soldato
Cheers for the help.

The RAM is the G.Skill (without heatspreaders) but I really can't get it to fit the last orange slot, the heatpipes go right over the space..... :confused: Hmmm I'll see how I get on, if not, I may have to try harder! :p

Im pretty sure its fine in the 2nd PCIe slot, tho make sure you have the SLI jumpers on SLI to spilt the 16x slot to 8x/8x (tho I personally dont think the default 2x really affects the GFX performance really, tho for a 7800 series make sure you do change it)...

The new card is a 7800GTX, so you say i have to set the slot to run at 8x and not 16x? Lol I'm so confused. ;)

Caporegime
Erm check my spec - Id be surprised you cant fit Gskill with that combo ;)

Im unsure if you unaware but @ default PCIe slot 1 is 16x whereas PCIe is 2x - if you change the jumper to SLI it will change it so PCIe slot 1 and 2 runs @ 8x (basically splits the 16x lane into 2)...

Its all explained in the quick setup guide you get or the online manual...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
Thanks matey,

Well I've moved the card into the top slot and it seems to be ok... pretty close to the HS like, and covers the chipset fan, but I'm sure it'll be ok. ;)

Trying to get it stable at 2.8Ghz atm. :cool:

Man of Honour
I've now loaded the 704-2BTA BIOS, which is supposed to be the mutt's nuts for TCCD RAM. My -ing Corsair XMS4400 still won't play. I don't mind the fact it won't run now (actually that's a lie), but I really want to know why it worked before. It is so frustrating. That and the fact I now need to spend another big wedge to get some better RAM.

Anyone care to say what the fastest non-TCCD RAM is? (Apart from GSkill, which is too expensive)

M

Mul

Mul

Associate
hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before but, how do I solve the problem of BSOD's and reboots during xp installation?

This is happening to the system I built for a mate incorporating the DFI Ultra-D. I flashed it to the 623-3 bios before even going forward to install windows etc.

I have already tried:
reflashing bios
clearing cmos
installing with only one stick of ram.
Increasing CPU Voltage
Increasing Dram voltage
Enabling/disabling coolnquiet
dropping cpu multi
putting memory on a divider.

It seems to reboot at around the same point all the time. Generally about two thirds of the way through installing devices. sometimes it will get a little past that.

thanks

Mul

Soldato
Meridian said:
I've now loaded the 704-2BTA BIOS, which is supposed to be the mutt's nuts for TCCD RAM. My -ing Corsair XMS4400 still won't play. I don't mind the fact it won't run now (actually that's a lie), but I really want to know why it worked before. It is so frustrating. That and the fact I now need to spend another big wedge to get some better RAM.

Anyone care to say what the fastest non-TCCD RAM is? (Apart from GSkill, which is too expensive)

M
GeIL One TCCD in this week only. HIGHLY recommended by Angry_Games and Rgone @ DFI street.

Soldato
Mul said:
hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before but, how do I solve the problem of BSOD's and reboots during xp installation?

This is happening to the system I built for a mate incorporating the DFI Ultra-D. I flashed it to the 623-3 bios before even going forward to install windows etc.

I have already tried:
reflashing bios
clearing cmos
installing with only one stick of ram.
Increasing CPU Voltage
Increasing Dram voltage
Enabling/disabling coolnquiet
dropping cpu multi
putting memory on a divider.

It seems to reboot at around the same point all the time. Generally about two thirds of the way through installing devices. sometimes it will get a little past that.

thanks

Mul

Try setting the hard drive in the BIOS to either "LBA" or "AUTO" instead of "CHS" which is sometiems defaulted to. That might fix the problem. :)

It is in the first section of the BIOS iirc. (top left corner).

Mul

Mul

Associate
thanks. I'll have a word with my mate. I've built 3 DFI NF4 setups and they all hit snags at different places :p
What I do like about these boards is that once they are up and running, they truly are amazing.

Mul

Back
Top Bottom