Official DFI NF4Ultra-D/SLi owners thread.

Associate
Well, I Bought this board about 2 weeks ago and ive had nothing but damn hassle

I purchased a Tagan 480w Power Supply to go with the board aswell as a thermaltake case

I transfered my 3500xp athlon, 512 ram, and 6600 Geforce GT graphics card to the DFI

Connected everything up

I turned the power on and it blacked out.
Cable blew and left a black mark around my socket with the fuse.

Purchased a surge protecter, same thing happens. Another power cable gone.
I sent the Tagan back to Overclockers and they sent me a new one which i refuse to try with my board.

I also tested an OCZ with the motherboard and i got the same result.

So basically Ive proberly spent about 200 quid on stuff that is either faulty or just doesnt work.

I have contacted DFI to get an RMA and they refused it

What the recommend is I try the same system in someones House to see if it trips the electricity there.

Like FFS. I beleive testing the system elsewhere is becoming more expensive for me and in my opinion life threatening. its messing with electricity to try and power something

DFI Have Just mailed me back

Dear Sir:

In that case it would appear that your only option is to have the system tested locally in England. To be very honest I would have to hear some persuasive arguments from someone I would call a credible tech to convince me that the MB is somehow at fault. I have been a motherboard technician for over 7 years and have addressed literally thousands of issues, and have never had such a case presented to me. I am almost certain that your power system in your flat is overburdened and is causing the blackout. In any event this is all speculation until you have the system tested elsewhere.

GRRRRRRRRRRR

The Electricity going into my uni flat is more than enough. I can power a 300w pc with foxconn, but i cant power a 420w with DFI

Ive contacted overclockers proberly about 50 times now on the telephone and they refuse to answer, even though they just get of the phone.

I refuse to connect my psu to my motherboard. It cost me 50 quid for a power surge which now has a blown fuse, 3 power cables (10 quid each)

All i want is to plug it up and enjoy.

TidyKeefus :(

Associate
TidyKeefus said:

I purchased a Tagan 480w Power Supply to go with the board aswell as a thermaltake case

I transfered my 3500xp athlon, 512 ram, and 6600 Geforce GT graphics card to the DFI

Connected everything up

I sent the Tagan back to Overclockers and they sent me a new one which i refuse to try with my board.

So basically Ive proberly spent about 200 quid on stuff that is either faulty or just doesnt work.

What the recommend is I try the same system in someones House to see if it trips the electricity there.

Like FFS. I beleive testing the system elsewhere is becoming more expensive for me and in my opinion life threatening. its messing with electricity to try and power something

Dear Sir:

In that case it would appear that your only option is to have the system tested locally in England. To be very honest I would have to hear some persuasive arguments from someone I would call a credible tech to convince me that the MB is somehow at fault. I have been a motherboard technician for over 7 years and have addressed literally thousands of issues, and have never had such a case presented to me. I am almost certain that your power system in your flat is overburdened and is causing the blackout. In any event this is all speculation until you have the system tested elsewhere.

GRRRRRRRRRRR

The Electricity going into my uni flat is more than enough. I can power a 300w pc with foxconn, but i cant power a 420w with DFI

Ive contacted overclockers proberly about 50 times now on the telephone and they refuse to answer, even though they just get of the phone.

I refuse to connect my psu to my motherboard. It cost me 50 quid for a power surge which now has a blown fuse, 3 power cables (10 quid each)

Trading standards, they should sort it for you.

Associate
kimandsally said:
Trading standards, they should sort it for you.

Im going to use trading standards as a last resort.

Im waiting on Overclockers Contacting me back

DFIs Latest Email

Dear Sir:

Don't worry about annoying me. Like I said, I've been an MB tech for a long time, and I've learned to deal with annoyance. No one ever contacts me to tell me that there system is working perfectly. By the time they contact me they are usually already irritated :) The important thing is to get to the bottom of the matter and resolve the issue. In this case I truly believe that having your system looked at/tested in an alternate location will resolve this issue.

If Push comes to shove ill take my motherboard psu and case etc to Overclokers and get them to do it for me

Once its working and if it blows again at my flat, ill be taking action against the UCE for wasting my time.

Soldato
You don't need trading standards involved yet anyway. If you just want to return the motherboard, you can use the Sale of Goods Act '79 section 14 (quality and fitness for its desired purpose). It appears to be dangerous seeing as many PSU's have died and you are entitled to a full refund (forget the direct RMA) as it has only been, what, 2 weeks. If you need any more help, click the trust button under my post and email me.

Soldato
I have a DFI issue as well :(

A few months back purchased a NF4 UT. Worked flawlessly and still does :)
My brother wanted the exact same system as mine so I purchased the exact same parts, everything I've got in my P.C he has got. Now the thing is, i've actually got both Mobo's using the same BIOS version etc. Nearly everything is the same apart from my system has my work on it.

The problem is his DFI board seems to be reporting NF4 chip temps at 69 degrees :eek:
I thought nooo! So I swapped parts between my P.C and my brothers and the same. Not suprsisingly I get random restarts on my brother's mobo. What shall I do?

Soldato
eXSBass said:
I have a DFI issue as well :(

A few months back purchased a NF4 UT. Worked flawlessly and still does :)
My brother wanted the exact same system as mine so I purchased the exact same parts, everything I've got in my P.C he has got. Now the thing is, i've actually got both Mobo's using the same BIOS version etc. Nearly everything is the same apart from my system has my work on it.

The problem is his DFI board seems to be reporting NF4 chip temps at 69 degrees :eek:
I thought nooo! So I swapped parts between my P.C and my brothers and the same. Not suprsisingly I get random restarts on my brother's mobo. What shall I do?
Make sure the chipset fan is working. If it is, then remove it from the board and reseat it with some decent thermal paste. That will fix the problem. I doubt going for an RMA would be worthwhile for something like that.

Permabanned
get a cheap temp probe bay and test the north bridge, if it says 45 for instance u can say the real temp is 24 degrees lower then reported.

so when the mobo reports it as 80 its actually only 56.

if its restarting then u are either overheating or a fail safe is kicking in

thanx for using my pic in your sig I am a handsom devil

Soldato
Darth Sidious said:
get a cheap temp probe bay and test the north bridge, if it says 45 for instance u can say the real temp is 24 degrees lower then reported.

so when the mobo reports it as 80 its actually only 56.

if its restarting then u are either overheating or a fail safe is kicking in

thanx for using my pic in your sig I am a handsom devil

Believe you me mate, your as ugly as burnt crisp Vader himself ;) You got "h4x0red" by Windu :p

Associate
smids said:
You don't need trading standards involved yet anyway. If you just want to return the motherboard, you can use the Sale of Goods Act '79 section 14 (quality and fitness for its desired purpose). It appears to be dangerous seeing as many PSU's have died and you are entitled to a full refund (forget the direct RMA) as it has only been, what, 2 weeks. If you need any more help, click the trust button under my post and email me.

Thanks for the help

Ill give overclockers till saturday then I might pay a visit

Soldato
TidyKeefus said:

Connected everything up

Dear Sir:

GRRRRRRRRRRR

i had Tagan 480w on my uni pc in my uni room till i upgraded to a ven more power hungry pc (7800gtx x23800 and the dfi sli) , it was fine witht the dfi and finewith my hyper 580w , i have other high drain stuff on my plugs in my room as well and not a problum , so i would try and fine out how much power u can draw (my room has a fuse swich with max output) and if that is roughlty lower than what u are using aoverall , then take it back to DFI ,

Soldato
snow patrol said:
i'm sure this question has been asked, but which bios should i be using for the 2 gig corsair cas 2 kit>? thanks

the shipping and the newest bios were fine with my 3500LL 2gb kit , only had to update beucse my shipping bios was'nt dectecting my x2 corretly

Soldato
Any clever types with the Zalman NB Cooler in use here?

Just tried to fit mine and one of the push pins broke and won't hold onto the back of the board now :(

I have emailed Zalman but I'm not holding out much hope.

Any ideas of how I could bodge the heatsink on for now as I wouldn't mind getting my PC running again :)

Associate
Psymonkee said:
Any clever types with the Zalman NB Cooler in use here?

Just tried to fit mine and one of the push pins broke and won't hold onto the back of the board now :(

I have emailed Zalman but I'm not holding out much hope.

Any ideas of how I could bodge the heatsink on for now as I wouldn't mind getting my PC running again :)

Well you could put a 6" nail through it then bend it over with a sledge hammer :D that's how to bodge it :D

Seriously though you could get some very small screws and nuts then use a very small O ring above and below the motherboard to stop any shorting out, maybe nylon washers or something, I would think somewhere like a model train shop would have nice small screws and nuts.

Soldato
The $6m Dan said:
Are all push pins the same size?
You might be able to pinch some off an old gfx card. Try the wanted forums, you might get lucky :)

Tried that - too fat!

kimandsally said:
Well you could put a 6" nail through it then bend it over with a sledge hammer :D that's how to bodge it :D

I likes the sounds of that

kimandsally said:
Seriously though you could get some very small screws and nuts then use a very small O ring above and below the motherboard to stop any shorting out, maybe nylon washers or something, I would think somewhere like a model train shop would have nice small screws and nuts.

I might have a few O rings from the GFX Cooler I fitted earlier - Might try that :)

Also I have tried a couple of local shops but no luck there - I'm not sure if they even knew what a chipset fan is :o

Back
Top Bottom