Official DFI NF4Ultra-D/SLi owners thread.

Soldato
Concorde Rules said:
Anyone get a problem where the PC would lock yet the mouse would move still until it would lock and you would get a continuous beep?

After school im gonna investigate further, see if my LEDs show anything! Absolutly great that DFI give you a mobo that beeps yet no code list.. thanks SO much! :(

Concorde
Never had the beep - no speaker installed on the mobo. Yes, I get the occassional lockup - keyboard first, then if I click too much on the mouse, the mouse locks up too. Weird.

Associate
About to order the sli-dr but need a question answering first, which ram should i get out of,

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS3 (MY-039-CS)
or
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS3 (GE2GB3200BDC) (MY-046-GL)
or should i just go with 1Gb of more expensive memory? like Crucial 1GB (2x512MB) DDR PC4000 Ballistix Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT6464Z503) (MY-041-CR) if so which?
and which bios should i use?
going to be putting an opteron 148 in it
cheers

Last edited:
Associate
Any 1 got a opteron chip (144) with this board ,if so do i need any special bios at all like the x2's do :confused:

Also ive got 1gig of ram at the minute 2 x512 sticks in both the orange slots ,say if i add another 512 does it matter which yellow slot it goes in and is it recommended to have 1.5gb in 3 sticks like this :confused:

Thanks

Soldato
smids said:
Never had the beep - no speaker installed on the mobo. Yes, I get the occassional lockup - keyboard first, then if I click too much on the mouse, the mouse locks up too. Weird.

Change the jumper on the mobo to onboard or whatever the opposite of what it is now, im sure you will hear it! ;)

If I get it again im gonna email DFI to ask them WTF it means :mad:

Conc

Associate
Guys,
I am still waiting for my CPU, but this morning I thought I would "offer" things up to the motherboard to see if there would be any snags.

I think I may have found one :(

I have the DFi nF4 SLI-Dr motherboard and I will be putting in an Opteron (arrives Monday) to go with this and to help in any overclocking, I have bought an AC Freezer 64 PRo.
Now when I placed it over the CPU position on the motherboard in one configuration it seems to block one of the memory slots (Fan uppermost as you look at the mobo) , turning it through 180 Deg and the fan looks as though it would be very close to the first x16 PCIe Graphics slot. :eek:

Anyone fitted this cooler ?
Which way around should I clip it in ?
I have already turned the actual fan through 180 deg so I can get the lead to reach the CPU fan clip on the mobo.

Any advice most welcome, cheers

Associate
I thought it might be a little hard to visualise so here are some pics.

Blocking Dimm Sockets:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/ademcg/105_0524.jpg

Possibly too close to x16 PCIe slot 1:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/ademcg/105_0525.jpg

And I turned the fan upside down so the power lead could reach:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/ademcg/105_0526.jpg

I would appreciate your thoughts guys, on whether it will be ok and work (not blocking the memory slots and not hitting the PCIe slot) or do I need a different cooling solution, other than stock ??

Last edited:
Associate
Finally got myself an Ultra-D, however I'm a little concerned about the reports from various people about the instability of using the 4v jumper.

I'm aware of the 4v trick jumper that'll still run off the 3.3v rail, however my PSU is not easily modable.

Has anyone had any very bad experiences with the 4v jumper? Would it be sufficient simply to add more cooling to the mofsets?

Caporegime
I've not been a big user of the 4V jumper but I've run it for a couple of weeks solidly, I think a couple of points are worth considering:

1. The higher voltage you give to the RAM the less work the circuit does stepping down the voltage so the cooler it runs.

2. Cool that MOFSET! Try and get decent airflow over the MOFSET and around the board area, I mounted a fan to the side that could blow over the area and under the board.

Associate
Concorde Rules said:
The freezer will fit as others have been using it! :)

Here is my current BIOS setup, if anyone could look through it and suggest changes, this is my spec:

X2 3800+
G-Skill LE 2x512mb in DC
6800 Ultra
SLi-DR
74gb Raptor

Link:
http://www.thunder-keep.co.uk/site/x2_settings/x2_config.html

Cheers Conc

Are you having problems or just looking to tweak for improvement?
Which bios is this Concorde?
Do you use onboard sound or either of the lan ports? I found it best to disable anything i'm not using to avoid conflicts.

Associate
Minstadave said:
I've not been a big user of the 4V jumper but I've run it for a couple of weeks solidly, I think a couple of points are worth considering:

1. The higher voltage you give to the RAM the less work the circuit does stepping down the voltage so the cooler it runs.

2. Cool that MOFSET! Try and get decent airflow over the MOFSET and around the board area, I mounted a fan to the side that could blow over the area and under the board.

Thanks Dave, what PSU were you using it with? I'm definitely going to get some extra cooling on the mofsets and my 5v rail seems pretty stable so hopefully it'll be alright.

Soldato
IzaLearnin said:
Are you having problems or just looking to tweak for improvement?
Which bios is this Concorde?
Do you use onboard sound or either of the lan ports? I found it best to disable anything i'm not using to avoid conflicts.

Tweaks, anything that increases stabilty will also be welcomed, the TCCD are week 440s and do well at 3V, but the mem controller on here is rubbish :(

I use one of the network ports, the top one IIRC and I use the onboard sound.
BIOS 723 the one that the OCZ guy tweaked!

Cheers Conc

Soldato
Hi Chaps,

The last few days I have been having some strange issues with my motherboard. It started off that I removed my 2x1Gb sticks of Geil Value from it (which were at the time passing MemTest fine) to replace them with some suspected fault RAM, In the end 3 sticks were found to be faulty and one stick was found to be broken.

When I put the sticks in one at a time, only one reported errors in memtest, however when I put 2 sticks in together, memtest always reported a few failures per pass, the same thing has happened with the latest set I got (after I RMA'd the last) but this new set pass 20+ loops in a 4 stick combo on my P3 machine.

Also, since playing around memtesting the RAM, I have encountered a new problem. Each time I shut the machine down, I then have to take the CMOS battery out and turn off the mains for 10-20 seconds before I can get the machine to reboot, otherwise it will hang at the 'Lanparty nF4' splash screen before post.

As I'm sure you can imagine, this is incredibly annoying, I'm hoping and praying that someone here will know a fix!

For the record:

1.) I have changed the BIOS to several different versions (now using the one Tony from OCZ suggests)
2.) I have cleared the CMOS, several times
3.) I have stuck to 'optimized defaults'

None of the above seems to make any difference

Please help!

Associate
axer said:
Hi Chaps,

The last few days I have been having some strange issues with my motherboard. It started off that I removed my 2x1Gb sticks of Geil Value from it (which were at the time passing MemTest fine) to replace them with some suspected fault RAM, In the end 3 sticks were found to be faulty and one stick was found to be broken.

When I put the sticks in one at a time, only one reported errors in memtest, however when I put 2 sticks in together, memtest always reported a few failures per pass, the same thing has happened with the latest set I got (after I RMA'd the last) but this new set pass 20+ loops in a 4 stick combo on my P3 machine.

Also, since playing around memtesting the RAM, I have encountered a new problem. Each time I shut the machine down, I then have to take the CMOS battery out and turn off the mains for 10-20 seconds before I can get the machine to reboot, otherwise it will hang at the 'Lanparty nF4' splash screen before post.

As I'm sure you can imagine, this is incredibly annoying, I'm hoping and praying that someone here will know a fix!

For the record:

1.) I have changed the BIOS to several different versions (now using the one Tony from OCZ suggests)
2.) I have cleared the CMOS, several times
3.) I have stuck to 'optimized defaults'

None of the above seems to make any difference

Please help!

Optimized defaults may be setting 2.6v dram is this suitable for your ram? Worth a check, increase voltage to suit if this is so.

This happens with my ram which needs 2.8v to run stock on this board and 2.9v to run ddr500.

Associate
Concorde Rules said:
Tweaks, anything that increases stabilty will also be welcomed, the TCCD are week 440s and do well at 3V, but the mem controller on here is rubbish :(

I use one of the network ports, the top one IIRC and I use the onboard sound.
BIOS 723 the one that the OCZ guy tweaked!

Cheers Conc

Right have been through my settings although I am running single core, currently alternating between:-
1, cpu @2832 12*236 1.425v*110%. Tccd @1.1 same settings for both clocks-see below.
2, cpu @2750 11*250 1.325v*113%.

We both use tccd chips but different brands.

Try these bios settings:-
cpu startup 1.525v
cpu vid control 1.350v
cpu vid special con 113%
ldt voltage con 1.3v
chipset voltage 1.6v

dram freq 200
cpc enable
tcl 2.0
trcd 2
tras 6
trp 2
trc 7
trfc 12
trrd 2
twr 2
twtr 2
trwt 1
tref 3072
bank int enable
dqs auto? think
dqs .... 0
drive strength 4
data drive strength 2
max async lat 8ns
response time normal
preamble 5ns
icl 256 (64 is faster but not stable)
dyn count enable
r/w bypass 16x
bypass max 7x
32 byte gran disable

Phew!!
Hope some of this helps, I have spent months playing with these settings and these work best for me. May be useless for other components though.

One stick is stronger than the other. (Both in orange slots) I reseated chipset cooler last week and must have put sticks back in opposite orange slots. Wouldn't boot at anything over ddr225! Definately worth finding your strongest stick and the best slot for it.

Just to add both clocks are 9 hours sp2004 stable, 32m super pi and bf2 stable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom