Official DFI NF4Ultra-D/SLi owners thread.

Associate
Got a weird problem with this board and my setup...

X2 4400 / Leadtek7800 GTX / 2GB OCZ Platimum / HyperX 580w

Sometimes when i boot i see the post screens etc, but then the screen goes black where i would expect to see the OS boot screen. If i reboot its fine, but it happens every now and then.

Also sometimes when i get to my OS login screen, my keyb or mouse might not be active. I have to unplug them and put back in which works np. I have tried changing the usb support for these in the bios, but it still does it.

Any ideas?

Associate
dlthorpe said:
Got a weird problem with this board and my setup...

X2 4400 / Leadtek7800 GTX / 2GB OCZ Platimum / HyperX 580w

Sometimes when i boot i see the post screens etc, but then the screen goes black where i would expect to see the OS boot screen. If i reboot its fine, but it happens every now and then.

Also sometimes when i get to my OS login screen, my keyb or mouse might not be active. I have to unplug them and put back in which works np. I have tried changing the usb support for these in the bios, but it still does it.

Any ideas?
hi there

umm what bios you running with the x2 4400? i use the 704-bta which cleared up a simalr problem

Soldato
9zap said:
hi there

umm what bios you running with the x2 4400? i use the 704-bta which cleared up a simalr problem
And I used the 704-2BTA which broke my windows (HAL - hal.dll corrupted).

About the keyboard/mouse issue - you are not, by any chance, using a usb mouse and ps2 keyboard or the other way round are you? If so, I had multiple problems. I found using both on USB worked best, with USB enabled support in BIOS. This problem first occured in 510 BIOS but has never been fixed for me so I solved it with running both off USB.

Associate
smids said:

About the keyboard/mouse issue - you are not, by any chance, using a usb mouse and ps2 keyboard or the other way round are you? If so, I had multiple problems. I found using both on USB worked best, with USB enabled support in BIOS. This problem first occured in 510 BIOS but has never been fixed for me so I solved it with running both off USB.

Hi Smids

Off topic but I notice in your sig you've reduced your overclock from 2601 to 2500, is there a reason? I read that sometimes the overclocks get worse has that happened?

I'm interested because I've just bought an X2 4400.

Thanks.

Soldato
kimandsally said:
Hi Smids

Off topic but I notice in your sig you've reduced your overclock from 2601 to 2500, is there a reason? I read that sometimes the overclocks get worse has that happened?

I'm interested because I've just bought an X2 4400.

Thanks.
Well, basically it all started when I updated the BIOS :(. I was originally running 623-2 and updated to 704-2BTA. This BIOS was supposed to be better. It was pretty much completely stable before update. Anyway, I suffered heavily on that BIOS (HAL corruption/windows b0rked). I've now gone back to 623-2. The reason I lowered the clock is because initially, the problem was noticed by playing UT2004 which would crash with a General Protection Fault. A google on this showed it was likely to be an over zealous overclock. I prime tested my computer Small FTT's for 15 hours which passed @ 2.6ghz, I memtest'ed the RAM which passed 8 hours. Now, this rules out the RAM and CPU. I ran large FTT's and that failed on a random core (even core0 which is my better core - as in amazing) within about 3 minutes. It can't be the chipset as you know our boards so I was dumbfounded as to why it was failing large FTT's. Anyway, I had an essay to write for Uni and just needed stability so downclocked to 2.5ghz which is both large and small FTT stable. I will clock back up again but for the minute, just want a stable PC. (Sorry for the block text :p).

Associate
smids said:
Well, basically it all started when I updated the BIOS :(. I was originally running 623-2 and updated to 704-2BTA. This BIOS was supposed to be better. It was pretty much completely stable before update. Anyway, I suffered heavily on that BIOS (HAL corruption/windows b0rked). I've now gone back to 623-2. The reason I lowered the clock is because initially, the problem was noticed by playing UT2004 which would crash with a General Protection Fault. A google on this showed it was likely to be an over zealous overclock. I prime tested my computer Small FTT's for 15 hours which passed @ 2.6ghz, I memtest'ed the RAM which passed 8 hours. Now, this rules out the RAM and CPU. I ran large FTT's and that failed on a random core (even core0 which is my better core - as in amazing) within about 3 minutes. It can't be the chipset as you know our boards so I was dumbfounded as to why it was failing large FTT's. Anyway, I had an essay to write for Uni and just needed stability so downclocked to 2.5ghz which is both large and small FTT stable. I will clock back up again but for the minute, just want a stable PC. (Sorry for the block text :p).

Thanks hopefully you'll get it back then :) I have mine at 250x10 just because it's extremely quick at that and it only needs 1.4v prime stable for about 14 hours, I really don't like too much voltage.
Good luck with getting your overclock back I will keep a look out.
Cheers.

Associate
smids said:

no they are both usb devices.

Associate
smids said:
That's odd then. So long as USB mouse and keyboard support is enabled in BIOS, then it should work - unless of course there is something wrong with the drivers in windows.

Well its not consistent so I will just have to monitor and try to find a pattern.

Associate
This is a great thread for information, so hopefully you can help me.

I have just built a system based on the SLI-D, and though it is working perfectly, the marvell network controller won't connect. Windows says it is installed correctly (used the cd drivers - DFIs site is playing up) but whenever i plug a network cable in (100mbit LAN) it doesn't register it - still says "cable unplugged". The lights on the port don't do anything either.

If i plug it into the Nvidia network, it works fine (well, i had to put the MAC in the bios first). Any ideas?

Other than that, the only problem was installing to the sata with the IDE seagate in - wouldn't start after the first reboot even though i specifed the raptor as first boot.

Last edited:
Soldato
[die]Deadly said:
This is a great thread for information, so hopefully you can help me.

I have just built a system based on the SLI-D, and though it is working perfectly, the marvell network controller won't connect. Windows says it is installed correctly (used the cd drivers - DFIs site is playing up) but whenever i plug a network cable in (100mbit LAN) it doesn't register it - still says "cable unplugged". The lights on the port don't do anything either.

If i plug it into the Nvidia network, it works fine (well, i had to put the MAC in the bios first). Any ideas?

Other than that, the only problem was installing to the sata with the IDE seagate in - wouldn't start after the first reboot even though i specifed the raptor as first boot.
Believe me, it's not worth the hassle. Even when that port does 'work' it is always slow and sometimes doesn't engage a connection. Unless you need both ports running, I wouldn't worry about it as it is pretty much known to be a useless port on the board. If it isn't working at all, perhaps you could just RMA the board so that it comes back working but it is a slower connection so unless you desperately need both ports, just stick to the Nvidia one.

Caporegime
Haha,

neither of my networkports work correctly on my ULtra-d, 1 connects 1 dosnt exisist, yes i have them both on in the bios etc etc.

Ive turned them all off now unistalled any drivers and us a PCI NIC, no more messing about.

If you read the official DFI forums they have no end of complaints about these ports, some cant use nVidia some cant use Marvell.

Associate
Yeah, ive been there for the last hour. Luckily it is rare that neither work, but usually there is a problem with one or the other. One post indicates this being a problem with the cd drivers - i have downloaded official marvell ones but could not install them due to lack of network (only got the nvidia working at around midnight - didn't know you had to type the mac in !)

I am not in front of it, but using RD to my router i can tell its still up on the nvidia, so it appears the nvidia is ok. Will remove the firewall though - seems like it causes a lot of problems for some.

Associate
OK, the marvell controller now works, but it was running stupidly slow for some reason. So i went back to the nvidia controller.

I have started overclocking, and i am already at 2450Mhz - 450Mhz on top, with an X2 cpu - not bad ! The cpu is always around 48/49c, but the chipset(might be PWM) seems a bit warm at 52. Think i need to move some cables around to give it better airflow.

Already have a 3dm05 score of over 7k, and i haven't tried to overclock the 7800 GT OC yet - its running cool at around 42 according to the nvidia drivers.

Associate
Hi I have the DFI NF4-DR but i can't find the pci-express lock where is this located i nthe bios as I can't find any option labeled pci-express lock.

This is all I need to know then I want to start overclocking, any tips with this board.

My specs are in my sig.

Many Thanks in advanced.

Associate
Whats too high for the chipset temperatures? according to speedfan, and the bios seems to agree, under load it can reach 53c. I think my PWM was about 5c lower which seems fine. This is at 245 fsb now though :D

I think i should manage my cables better, you can barely see the chipset, so i doubt its cooling very well. The p180 is a nice case but damn hard to manage cables well.

Associate
Thank you minstadave.

One more question I was thinking of going dual core later this year I have the 0310 bios will this be ok for dual core cpu's

Right I am of to try and overclock my cpu for the first time. Any tips would be great, think I will go and read the oc forum guides.

Back
Top Bottom