****Official Doom 4 Thread****

It's an OpenGL engine. There will be no DX12 in it or any other Tech6 game. You'd have to imagine Vulkan will be an option though, as this is a '16 release ... but then this is iD / Bethesda, it seems like it'll be yet another PC-lead-platform title for them capped to 60FPS / hz, which is a total joke.

The Evil Within was ID tech 5 and that was DX11

60fps cap would be an instant won't buy for me - was never able to get something I felt comfortable with in Wolfenstein.

The Evil Within was ID tech 5 and that was DX11

Tech5 is not Tech6. Tech6 is OGL only (and hopefully Vulkan) in the PC space. Idea is not to waste time on DX when they intend to cross-platform everything that uses it - Windows / OSX / Linux.

Why do they cap frame rate?

Likely laziness. They probably have some old tech in TechX where physics relies on a capped frame rate which they can't be arsed to replace. Plus if they tie everything to FPS, it's probably easier to optimise / hit targets on console.

Last edited:
Why would you not buy it if it was capped at 60? Capped at 30 i could understand but 60 looks fine surely? I dont even have a monitor capable of more so all my games are 60 max.

2lbkx2b.jpg

2je329k.jpg

xaopp3.jpg

14nd5z6.jpg

1z569lu.jpg

nmlylu.jpg

Why would you not buy it if it was capped at 60? Capped at 30 i could understand but 60 looks fine surely? I dont even have a monitor capable of more so all my games are 60 max.

Surely you answered your own question ... most gamers with a decent budget are moving or have moved to monitors with more than 60hz.

Surely you answered your own question ... most gamers with a decent budget are moving or have moved to monitors with more than 60hz.

I don't think I did. Just because it doesn't support the fps you would like would be a silly reason not to buy it imo. 30 sure, but we are now at the stage where 60 is unusable? :confused:. Maybe I should just stick with 60 then if moving to anything higher will make 60 unusable in future.

Can't wait for it. I'm sick of pretentious sterile ***** like Destiny, COD and Battlefield, etc being forced down our throats.

Just gimme my big ****in' chainsaw and let me at them!

On the negative side, I last upgraded my PC for Doom 3 all those years ago and pretty much finished up with games a year or two afterwards. Doom 4 is going to be the most expensive game I've ever purchased :(

Being drip-fed enemies is still 'call of doom' in my opinion. Looks slow, easy and made for linear console game play to assist aim. Not impressed.

This basically. Doom should be fast paced, no brainer action with legions of hordes trying do kill you at the same time, not the 3 or 4 at a time we got in the demo instead.

As the worlds biggest Doom fan I'm extremely dissapointed by what we've been shown so far and by lobbing in a few nostalgic throwbacks and trying to amaze people with graphics and gore doesn't get anywhere near what the soul of Doom was and what was totally missing in Doom 3.

Back
Top Bottom