**** Official Fallout 4 Thread ****

Soldato
Finally completed the main quest line of the Institute last night, at over 400 hours of play time... Level 103 with all DLC played and completed. Think I am stopping now and probably won't play the additional endings unless really recommended!

Soldato
Finally completed the main quest line of the Institute last night, at over 400 hours of play time... Level 103 with all DLC played and completed. Think I am stopping now and probably won't play the additional endings unless really recommended!

I'd recommend the Railroad and BOS because the events at the end are quite entertaining, particularly The Railroad.
I'm currently playing through The Minutemen after doing the other 3 so this will be my last playthrough.

Soldato
Although I didn't like siding with the Institute, their ending has one of the most intense firefights (with BOS), tough even on normal difficulty level.

The Minutemen is the only faction you can use if you want the maximum peace ending, i.e. defeat the Institute but remain on good terms with BOS and Railroad. Unfortunately last time I tried this, Preston Garvey bugged out during the final mission. Instead of the scripted dialogue triggering at the point you enter the Institute, all I got was the, "I've got word of a settlement that needs our help..." junk and it took several reloads from a previous save before it would trigger. This time round I've left Garvey and gang behind in the museum, doing my own settlement building with a view to either a BOS or Institute ending. IMHO, the mechanic for the Minutemen radiant quests, at least after The Castle, should have been the same as BOS, i.e. you can decline and come back later rather than having them constantly sprout every time you get within about 500 yards of PG. They were a useful early game mechanic to build XP (like crafting) but when you're approaching L50 with something like 4000xp or more to the next level, a few low level raider or beast kills and the 150 or so XP for the mission are worthless.

Soldato
Although I didn't like siding with the Institute, their ending has one of the most intense firefights (with BOS), tough even on normal difficulty level.

The Minutemen is the only faction you can use if you want the maximum peace ending, i.e. defeat the Institute but remain on good terms with BOS and Railroad. Unfortunately last time I tried this, Preston Garvey bugged out during the final mission. Instead of the scripted dialogue triggering at the point you enter the Institute, all I got was the, "I've got word of a settlement that needs our help..." junk and it took several reloads from a previous save before it would trigger. This time round I've left Garvey and gang behind in the museum, doing my own settlement building with a view to either a BOS or Institute ending. IMHO, the mechanic for the Minutemen radiant quests, at least after The Castle, should have been the same as BOS, i.e. you can decline and come back later rather than having them constantly sprout every time you get within about 500 yards of PG. They were a useful early game mechanic to build XP (like crafting) but when you're approaching L50 with something like 4000xp or more to the next level, a few low level raider or beast kills and the 150 or so XP for the mission are worthless.

I've done The Railroad, Institute and BOS but am struggling to get the Minutemen quests to trigger. I've done The Castle, the BOS have arrived but I've haven't engaged with either them or the Railroad yet. PG won't fire off any new missions to me for some reason, though I did take Cait around with me this time and have just given her one which I didnt know could happen!:D

Do I need to at least acknowledge the BOS and RR before I can carry on with the MM?

Soldato
I've done The Railroad, Institute and BOS but am struggling to get the Minutemen quests to trigger. I've done The Castle, the BOS have arrived but I've haven't engaged with either them or the Railroad yet. PG won't fire off any new missions to me for some reason, though I did take Cait around with me this time and have just given her one which I didnt know could happen!:D

Do I need to at least acknowledge the BOS and RR before I can carry on with the MM?

The easiest way to stay on the Minuteman path is to just shoot "Father" in the face when you first get to the Institute. That locks out The Railroad (as you need to work undercover until late game) and the Brotherhood (you need to poach Dr Li for their WMD). To get to the Institute you need to build the teleporter via the Courser chip. That has to be analysed by The Railroad (quite amusing to take Danse as a companion and no one bats an eyelid), then use Sturges at Sanctuary to build it.

You can push further with all three factions if you want to do (not executing Father straight away), essentially the big PNR's happen after the Battle Of Bunker Hill and the choice of who you go to Mass Fusion with. If you side with the Institute then you can trigger the Minutemen path a couple of missions later when Father sends you to stand down the MM protecting a settler they're trying to abduct (kill the Institute people at the cottage). That opens up Defend The Castle and from there the last act(s) of the game.

Soldato
Nuka world is brilliant. Such an immersive feel to it. Shame the 'good' story isn't fleshed out though.

Just getting there (Gauntlet) is interesting in itself! Although I encountered one bug (literally) after the boss battle I made my way to the exit room where you have to deal with a few flying insects. Using Fish Catcher from Far Harbor, I was teleported outside the warehouse with the mission pointer vanished and no way back in. Luckily able to re-load a recent save and switched to a non melee weapon, as I assume Blitz had zapped me where I shouldn't be.

At the moment just orientating myself as Overboss and meeting the gang leaders, collecting the first radiant missions. I intend my first play through to be the fullest possible experience, so will be going the evil path siding with the Raiders. Hopefully that won't impact too much on the remainder of the main game as I left Preston Garvey at the Museum in Concord so never became a Minuteman. From reading Reddit, I believe if you are in the MM, PG turns hostile if you takeover settlements for the raiders. Bit concerned if I'm told to capture farms I've aligned to the BOS as I'm working towards their ending in this playthrough, we shall see.

Soldato
Nuka world is brilliant. Such an immersive feel to it. Shame the 'good' story isn't fleshed out though.
+1 it reminded me a lot of Fallout 3 DLC....epic, different, lengthy & value for money. Far Harbour DLC is also excellent. Bethesda should have made a bit more content like that seen as the game is their biggest selling title ever!

Soldato
Having played a little way into Nuka World, agree it is different and even at L60 poses challenges on normal difficulty. Kiddie World, this will be a doddle with Fish Catcher, erm - no. Not going to spoil it but take plenty of health and anti-rads. If you've been saving Lorenzo's serum for a rainy day, this is it!

My only caveat is that this might be best played after the main game or certainly just right before the end game. The faction radiant missions so far have seen me lay waste to at least Goodneighbour, with most of the previous mission givers there + K-LEO lying dead in the street. I could have stealthed it a bit more or run away but got caught up in the moment. Strangely the XP reward isn't that great, albeit with Idiot Savant 3 the procs during combat kind of make up for that.

Man of Honour
+1 it reminded me a lot of Fallout 3 DLC....epic, different, lengthy & value for money. Far Harbour DLC is also excellent. Bethesda should have made a bit more content like that seen as the game is their biggest selling title ever!

I would buy more DLC of a similar standard. That said, I want more elder scrolls :D

Associate
God I will say I picked up Fallout cheap on PC, and I just cant get into it again.

Played through on XB1 but only started using survival about half way through so I thought yeah lets try it from the start with better FPS.

Trying to get through the first fight with the is infuriating having to go all the way back to sanctuary over and over!!

Man of Honour
God I will say I picked up Fallout cheap on PC, and I just cant get into it again.

Played through on XB1 but only started using survival about half way through so I thought yeah lets try it from the start with better FPS.

Trying to get through the first fight with the is infuriating having to go all the way back to sanctuary over and over!!

I wish that they had kept the Survival stuff separate from the difficulty level. I like the idea of the immersion, but not the frustration of every creature being a damage sponge who can stomp on you.

Soldato
I've blown the institute up and killed all the railroad people as BOS. Think the main story line (bw video has played) is done now and just little side mission things to do?

Back
Top Bottom