**** Official Fallout 4 Thread ****

Caporegime
I don't think it's your hardware, I haven't got the game so I can't help much but an 870m should at least run this game on medium/high settings, it's only a modified version of Gamebryo isn't it? I bet Fallout 3/Skyrim with texture packs and ENB is probably more taxing.

Caporegime
Dropping Shadow Distance from Ultra to medium has stopped my frame rates from dropping under 70! In fact, most of the time it was at 100 :D, however I had to cap at 70 because the stupid terminal bug :mad:

Associate
I don't think it's your hardware, I haven't got the game so I can't help much but an 870m should at least run this game on medium/high settings, it's only a modified version of Gamebryo isn't it? I bet Fallout 3/Skyrim with texture packs and ENB is probably more taxing.

I hoped to run it on medium but even the lowest settings, it lags behind without any action going on :(!

Soldato
Damn you no level cap. Level 54 now and lots more to go to unlock all of the perks. I'm pretty sure I've discovered most places, need to keep scavenging to fully upgrade my X0-1 power armour to Mark VI.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
You should be able to max it out with ease with a 980. The game isn't very demanding. Played 30+ hours through and not ran into a single bug
Have you read anything anyone has been saying in this thread about performance?

Quite a lot of the game is cpu dependent, so with your 5960 I doubt you'd notice.

Man of Honour
I'm wondering if I'm missing something with settlements or if it really has been implemented as badly as it seems to be:

1) I'm not seeing a way to monitor what task each settler is assigned to and what tasks have no settlers assigned to them. This seems like such a basic and obvious thing that I'm mostly convinced that I'm just missing it somehow. Surely Bethesda wouldn't bodge the job badly enough to have tasks requiring settlers and no way to monitor it?

2) I'm not seeing a way to change perspective when building. First person is very badly suited to settlement building, so it would be an obvious choice to allow zooming out at least and preferably "god view".

3) I'm not seeing a way to change the length of stairs to ensure they line up with where you want them to go from and to.

4) I'm not seeing a way to build anything to go under a floor so it matches the level of adjoining flooring on slightly higher ground, e.g. to extend flooring off a pre-existing foundation. Nor am I seeing a way to use concrete or cement for the same purpose (or any other purpose, come to think of it).

5) I'm not seeing a way to build construction items of specific size. Anyone who could build floor, wall, ceiling and roof sections from scrap wood and/or steel should be able to build them to whatever size they require to neatly fit gaps.

Settlement building and management looks like a tagged-on afterthought to me, done as a rush job. It seems very clumsy and missing some important things, especially (1). It's not like settlement building is a new thing in games - there have been entire games of it for years. Bethesda wouldn't have had to come up with new ideas for a new type of game.

Less importantly:

6) I don't seem to be able to have settlers harvest plants I've planted. They work on them, but I'm not seeing an increase in the number in my inventory.

7) I'm not seeing an option to build a kennel for Dogmeat.

Soldato
I assume you have done the obvious stuff and updated your drivers?
There are game ready drivers for Nvidia cards.

It is using the gpu and not trying to use the igpu? some laptops do that with some games

Soldato
I assume you have done the obvious stuff and updated your drivers?
There are game ready drivers for Nvidia cards.

It is using the gpu and not trying to use the igpu? some laptops do that with some games

Check this if you haven't, I have had a fair few games in the past wanting to use the integrated gpu & not the nvidia one.

Soldato
Thank you thank you thank you!! To whoever it was that posted that Reshade sharpening guide - I went through it this morning and it improves the visuals so so much... the blurry-ness had been bothering me no end since the first time I launched the game I was almost considering running without any AA at all, but the combo of TAA and sharpening looks absolutely perfect!

I did get a little confused at one point so in case anybody else runs into this I'll post what happened:

1. I went to the Reshade site and saw there were 2 different download links - one said something about "with SweetFX 2" or something. I figured that was the one I wanted, downloaded it, launched the setup - selected the Fallout .exe, it applied and I booted the game, saw the overlay. All good...

2. However when I then tried to follow the next part of the guide (launch "mediator.exe") I found that didn't exist... at all... It turns out it's the other download link you want (the first one - the guide never mentions this). So I downloaded that one instead.

3. Before I tried to run the new version (via mediator) I thought I'd better clean things up so I deleted the SweetFX.fx, dxgi.dll, dxgi.log and SweetFX directory that had been created in my Fallout 4 folder. Then I follwed the instructions to setup mediator and apply the sharpening. However when I launched Fallout - no overlay...

4. Eventually I realised that for some reason the way I'd done it meant that dxgi.dll wasn't being re-created by mediator (maybe I wasn't supposed to delete it? I'm not sure)... At any rate to fix it I just had to copy the Reshade_64.dll from the reshade directory into the Fallout 4 folder and rename it to dxgi.dll

Permabanned
I keep looking at before and after pictures of the various graphical tweaks/reshades and they all seem to look better by default.

Mine you was the same for me in Witcher 3, people banging on about sweet fx but I found it better without.

Either way, loving this game. Now I have a decent supply of adhesive can finally start upgrading all my guns. Though I seem to have ended up with about 4 different sniper rifles and no close up guns. Going to have to remod for close up. :D

Soldato
I keep looking at before and after pictures of the various graphical tweaks/reshades and they all seem to look better by default.

It's usually not too easy to see the difference in static pictures (mainly referring to the sharpening) - with the game in motion and panning the camera about it's much more apparent... The textures especially look much more crisp and detailed (I mean, some of the texture work isn't exactly stellar in the first place so having that "handful of vaseline smeared across the game camera" effect just makes things a lot worse)... Once you've seen it with the sharpening it's very difficult to justify switching back

Back
Top Bottom