**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Man of Honour
@AngilionTo farm the robot kills in Whitesprings main entrance go up the stairs then walk across until you reach 2 x staircases with a piano in the distance (just before you turn right to go to the main bar area turn around here. This spawn point has infinite robot respawns without any loading ;) so you can kill as many as you have ammo for (while avoiding getting killed). Takes about 2-3 hours per each weapon type challenge to kill robots here way faster than Watoga or elsewhere ;) easy (but tedious) 600-700 Atoms within about 10 hours or so gameplay time. The blackpowder challenge also counts for 1 of the other weapon challenges if you use a pistol or rifle I think so you get both at once for 160 Atoms.

I finally ground out the 1101 detroyed robots with an energy weapon. Even more of a grind because my build is geared away from energy weapons even to the extent of a mutation, so I wasn't powerful enough with energy weapons to do the endless max level robot slog you suggested. Particularly since I was using an energy pistol for almost all of it so I could complete the destroy 1001 robots with a pistol challenge too.

If you go to that spot in Whitesprings on the staircase the robots spawn infinitely it takes about 2-3 hours per challenge;) The hardest one is the kill with unarmed!

Yes, the place I explicitly stated I wasn't powerful enough to do. For example, with a max level modded energy weapon I required 2 shots to kill a L10 liberator robot. 4 shots to kill a L10 Protectron. L50 robots? Not going to happen. I'd have to change my build just to grind in the same place for 2-3 hours, then change it again for another 2-3 hours grinding in the same place, then change it again...etc. I could do that to a large extent with perk card loadouts. I wouldn't have the right stats, but I could probably get close enough just by swapping perk cards. I have perk loadout manager installed. But I don't enjoy that much grinding. What I ended up doing was just carrying around a weapon of the right type and swinging by the Chinese intelligence base under Mama Dolce's and the Vault-tec automated farm near Flatwood once or twice per session.

There's a faster and much easier endless robot spawn grinding point at The Whitespring. Just to the side of one of the main entrances, where it enters the car park area between the fire station and the utilities building that has the resort's laundrette, a staff room, toilets, storage and workshop. Opposite the main entrance to the utility room, next to the gap in the wall leading to the garden outside that main entrance, are two robot spawn pods. Kill the sentry bot patrolling the entrance area, kill the two Mr Handy robots in the same area, run through the gap in the wall and past the robot spawn pods. Every 10 seconds, two Mr Handy robots will spawn from the pods. They're only L8. One shot kill with anything. So 1100 will take "only" about 1.5 hours grinding in one place. Quicker and easier than the spawning point you mentioned. And still mind-numbingly tedious.

ought the Responders PA Skin (for all PA suits) its actually quite neat as it has 2 shoulder lights which flash [..]

I looked at that, but decided I prefer my coal black Excavator skin.

but they are surprise surprise buggy :rolleyes: so 1 stops working then alternates with the other 1 stops working & or 1 flashes on-off like an emergency siren!

That's not a bug, it's a feature! :)

I think I have about 3000 atom points now. The only thing I want is a skin for a minigun. Apparently Bethesda put one up for a limited time during the period in which I stopped playing. Ah well, no great loss.

I'd like to stop using power armour because the noise and extreme head-bobbing of PA in FO76 is annoying and unlike previous FO games you can't mod it away. If I did that, I could play with outfits. But PA is so convenient. Oodles of protection for everything - ballistic, energy, radiation and disease. Doubled carry weight (I have 210 without PA, 420 with it), which is a big deal to a scavver like me, especially now that I am routinely scavving 1000s of units of stuff to mass produce items to scrap them to hope to learn the few remaining learnable mods I don't already know. Also, heavy weapons are a really good fit for PA.

Man of Honour
Soldato
I don't know whether to laugh or be appalled. £16 in real money for half a dozen item skins and camp items rendered pointless by the miniscule building budget. You can get a choice of good complete games for £16. You can get 2 or 3 good complete games for £16 if you buy on sale and/or older games!
Yeah its really excessive :( but Bethesda really NOT care about the loyal long suffering player base :rolleyes:!! £32 for both packs & to me none of the content looks decent at all so I will pass forever as only way to own is buy they are not offering for Atoms :rolleyes: this is clearly how they attempt to claw some dev funds back as Wastelanders is ONLY 8 months late ;)

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/get-fallout-76-free-on-steam-if-you-already-own-it-on-bethesdanet/
At least the Steam release is free if you already own & link your accounts but as it uses the same backend I think I will stick with the Bethesda version for now as no way to transfer atoms across between platforms although content bought with Atoms is shared.

Soldato
There's a faster and much easier endless robot spawn grinding point at The Whitespring. Just to the side of one of the main entrances, where it enters the car park area between the fire station and the utilities building that has the resort's laundrette, a staff room, toilets, storage and workshop. Opposite the main entrance to the utility room, next to the gap in the wall leading to the garden outside that main entrance, are two robot spawn pods. Kill the sentry bot patrolling the entrance area, kill the two Mr Handy robots in the same area, run through the gap in the wall and past the robot spawn pods. Every 10 seconds, two Mr Handy robots will spawn from the pods. They're only L8. One shot kill with anything. So 1100 will take "only" about 1.5 hours grinding in one place. Quicker and easier than the spawning point you mentioned. And still mind-numbingly tedious.

That's not a bug, it's a feature! :) At this stage I do not even think Bethesda know how to fix the game or why it even does this!

I think I have about 3000 atom points now. The only thing I want is a skin for a minigun. Apparently Bethesda put one up for a limited time during the period in which I stopped playing. Ah well, no great loss. Grind Nuclear Winter until you reach level 41 you get 3 x mini gun skins as well as some nice PA skins but its a real grind even with triple XP & full of hackers!
https://nolife.gg/guide/70315/fallout-76-nuclear-winter-rewards-images

I'd like to stop using power armour because the noise and extreme head-bobbing of PA in FO76 is annoying and unlike previous FO games you can't mod it away. If I did that, I could play with outfits. But PA is so convenient. Oodles of protection for everything - ballistic, energy, radiation and disease. Doubled carry weight (I have 210 without PA, 420 with it), which is a big deal to a scavver like me, especially now that I am routinely scavving 1000s of units of stuff to mass produce items to scrap them to hope to learn the few remaining learnable mods I don't already know. Also, heavy weapons are a really good fit for PA.
That place you mention is way better but tbh I will not bother grinding those as for the sake of 320 Atoms they can keep it & stick it ;)

PA yeah I am fed up with that as well now. Fusion Cores run out faster on Triple XP weekend along with increased hunger & thirst :eek: but I did manage to level up twice in about 25 mins!

Man of Honour
That place you mention is way better but tbh I will not bother grinding those as for the sake of 320 Atoms they can keep it & stick it ;)

Me neither. I only did it because you said the energy weapon one unlocked a different type of challenge. It didn't. I think that's unlocked with the first robot-killing challenge you do, whatever it is.

PA yeah I am fed up with that as well now. Fusion Cores run out faster on Triple XP weekend along with increased hunger & thirst :eek: but I did manage to level up twice in about 25 mins!

The rates of fusion core use and water and food use vary wildly from one patch to the next. I don't know if that's deliberate in an attempt at balancing or if it's just patches breaking stuff patched in previous patches. I suspect the latter. Levelling up...meh. I'm L253. What would I want more levels for? I have 105 spare levelling up points already and that's the only thing gained from levelling up.

As for the skins, although I did write "skin for a minigun", what I meant was "skin for a gatling gun". I'm as bugged as Bethesda :) I have a skin I like for a minigun - chrome-plated. Good job too, as I'd rather grind a robot spawn point than grind nuclear winter while getting 1-shotted by both cheaters and legit players specced for PvP in what is a ludicrously unbalanced PvP game slopped badly onto a SP engine.

Associate
https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/3ltxG5KFODDNjcNs49uThq/fallout-76-special-steam-offers
Steam release info here if you link your Bethesda account to steam you get the game on steam free but read the article before doing so as not all of your atoms or fallout 1st carries over!
And either steam is borked or bethesdas site is complete garbage as I've tried linking my bethesda and steam accounts and it fails every time I've tried.

Edit: It turns out I was stupid and had another account that was linked to my steam account, so I now have to go through the process of getting it unlinked from that account so I can get it linked to the correct account.

Last edited:
Associate
Any indication of how much this is going to cost on Steam for the base package?

Been considering taking the plunge. If I buy it from elsewhere and link it to Steam before the cut off date is that likely to be a saving? Currently £8.99 on cdkeys

Soldato
Any indication of how much this is going to cost on Steam for the base package?

Been considering taking the plunge. If I buy it from elsewhere and link it to Steam before the cut off date is that likely to be a saving? Currently £8.99 on cdkeys
Probably £34.99 plus another £32 for the 2 DLC packs or around £59.99 for the deluxe edition. Bethesda are very much treating this like a full release on Steam & remember Valve get around 30% of the RRP :rolleyes: To be fair Bethesda put a lot of effort into 76 & have spent a lot of money developing so if you can get for £8.99 (it has gone as low as £6.99) then snap it up now link your account & get it way cheaper than the Steam price! Everyone has to buy the 2 DLC packs but they are cosmetic only like all DLC ingame so none of its essential at all!! But all the other ingame DLC you can get for free if you play regular & earn the Atoms ingame for free by doing all the challenges.

Man of Honour
For any new players lots of guides here 76 is complex so you might need to read some of them as the game does not exactly hold your hand at all!
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76Guides/

I'm seeing a lot of new players recently. Or at least new characters. They might be new characters created by existing players to play Wastelanders from the start and they're just levelling them to 20 so they can do all of the Wastelanders content.

The most useful quick tip I can think of for new players is that mobs in the forest region do not scale but mobs in all other regions do. So be very careful if you leave the forest region because you can suddenly encounter far harder mobs, sometimes way past what you can handle. If they were spawed by the presence of another player a bit earlier and are still there (which happens), you can run into very high level mobs and get slaughtered in very short order. Ash Heap and Toxic Valley regions are OK at low levels, but be cautious about Mire and Savage Divide regions and stay right out of the Cranberry Bog region until you're a one person army. Also something that might be useful to know is that the hardest mob you'll encounter in normal play is not the much talked about scorchbeast. They're fluffy little kittens in comparison with a mirelurk queen. Which routinely spawn in several watery locations.

I'd like a container that's publically accessible and which can be placed in a camp because I like to give some basic but well made kit to new players. A L1 or L5 pipe rifle with hardened receiver, aligned barrel and stock, that sort of thing. Not game-breaking, just a bit of a hand up at the beginning. I could use one of my vending machines for that and sell them at 1 cap, but there's no way I could do that with the 800 stash limit. My stash is full of materials and alternative kit for me. For example, I'm not going to scrap the excellent legendary shotguns and rifles I have stashed in case I want to go back to a shotgun and rifle build. Besides, my vending machines are usually all full of plans. Though there's been a run on them recently and I only have ~230 left.

Bizarrely, I am getting fairly close to the "gather wood from fallen trees 7600 times" challenge. I just gather as and when I see it while I'm walking around and I'm up to ~4600 times now. I'm also gathering all of the comics again just to put them on display. I have nearly filled 3 racks now. Not buying any, just ones I find. Pootling around doing stuff until Wastelanders arrives.

Every time I look at my challenges list I'm reminded of the ones Bethesda haven't fixed despite them being bugged since day 1. I've killed at least a hundred scorchbeast queens but none of them register for the "kill dangerous enemies" challenge. I've been to abandoned bogtown at least a dozen times but that doesn't register for the location finding challenge.

Man of Honour
Also, new stuff about Wastelanders was released today including a new trailer with new info:

https://bethesda.net/en/article/7aS0hlzYVMdSdCbP8vWu23/nojs.html

EDIT: I've just checked and it's not new stuff. It's a collection of links to stuff that's already been released piecemeal over the last months. But handy to have it all in one place and the trailer is new as far as I know.

Man of Honour
Anyone here running a bloodied build? I just got a L45 bloodied 50 cal machinegun from a random legendary mob and that seems like something useful for a bloodied build. You can have it for free if it's useful to you. I'll keep it for a few days and if nobody here wants it I'll put it in my shop.

Soldato
Anyone here running a bloodied build? I just got a L45 bloodied 50 cal machinegun from a random legendary mob and that seems like something useful for a bloodied build. You can have it for free if it's useful to you. I'll keep it for a few days and if nobody here wants it I'll put it in my shop.
I run bloodied melee only. Tried to switch to using my Bloodied Ultracite Gatling Laser which chewed through about 75 Fusion Cores! Then tried another Bloodied 50 cal & the condition of the weapon always drops fast :eek: so I gave up in the end went back to Bloodied Melee only build. You need to only have about 10% health on a bloodied gun build which means you die a LOT! I get fed up keep reloading to find someone has nicked my dropped stash & went back to melee only for now. Right now the mystery event means for 60 scrip you get a 3* random legendary but Purv is trolling players as always the drops are pretty poor quality overall & the ingame 1-2* legend enemies are rare. After the triple XP event last week it would have been nice for Bethe$da to actually let the players know to keep all the 3* for this mystery pick event :rolleyes:

Lets see after Wastelanders drops if Bethe$da fix the broken challenges & or make any other noticeable changes to the base game!

Man of Honour
https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/art...allout-76-inside-the-vault-prepare-for-launch
Even more info here the developers mention over 40 new locations :eek: also you may need to move your CAMP as they have released a map showing areas you can no longer build in so move it before launch day!
https://images.ctfassets.net/rporu9...3ce9e7ba19fd/76_NoCAMPMap_Wastelanders-02.png

That map is probably going to be very useful in finding where new content is.

The veteran outfit is a nice touch. Pity it's useless to anyone who uses power armour. I'm mildly excited about Wastelanders. It might be enough to be a start on making FO76 quite good. It will certainly be a change, some new content that has some substance to it.

Soldato
@Angilion
My CAMP is right smack in the middle of where some new content is so I have to move it soon :eek: starting to discover that Wastelanders is after all :rolleyes: going to add a lot of new badly needed content & also a massive time sink quest to get all the gold required for all the new Plans :p

Soldato
I run bloodied melee only. Tried to switch to using my Bloodied Ultracite Gatling Laser which chewed through about 75 Fusion Cores! Then tried another Bloodied 50 cal & the condition of the weapon always drops fast :eek: so I gave up in the end went back to Bloodied Melee only build. You need to only have about 10% health on a bloodied gun build which means you die a LOT! I get fed up keep reloading to find someone has nicked my dropped stash & went back to melee only for now. Right now the mystery event means for 60 scrip you get a 3* random legendary but Purv is trolling players as always the drops are pretty poor quality overall & the ingame 1-2* legend enemies are rare. After the triple XP event last week it would have been nice for Bethe$da to actually let the players know to keep all the 3* for this mystery pick event :rolleyes:

Lets see after Wastelanders drops if Bethe$da fix the broken challenges & or make any other noticeable changes to the base game!

I run a bloodied Ultracite Gatling Laser and Power Armor and don’t struggle for Fusion Cores. I use the Level 3 Power User perk for it, it means each FC is 999 shots before reload.

Back
Top Bottom