**Official Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Discussion Thread**

Associate
The 16g bios certainly seems more stable than any of the bios version from the official Gigabyte website, i don't know if i'm imagining it but the pc seems to be a lot snappier and a lot smoother. Its not had the "Power surge on USB port" message either.

Why couldn't Gigabyte officially release a bios version that seems as smooth and error free as this version ?

Soldato
With experience from previous generations of Gigabyte and their BIOS releases on older generations, it gives me the impression that a board / chipset reaches its final stages of development / support, without the very last beta BIOS being "finalised" to make it to their official website. The people responsible for signing off and updating what has become an older product line seem to have been moved onto other perhaps newer things and so BIOS's get left and driver revisions etc and links do not get updated.

Soldato
OP
The Matrix said:
Why couldn't Gigabyte officially release a bios version that seems as smooth and error free as this version ?
I think Gigabytes product range is too diverse. In my opinion they release that many motherboards I don't think they can cope with the demand of keeping up with BIOS updates.

Since 2012 we have had three generations of chipsets so you have Z77, Z87, Z97, then add on top of that X79 in 2011 and X99 released this year.

27 = H77/Z77 motherboards
24 = B85//Q87Z87 motherboards
29 = H97/Z97
4 = X79
8 = X99

92 Motherboards in total, the older boards just take a back burner, they have too many motherboards to cope with BIOS updates for previous generation, takes them enough time to release official updates for the latest gen.

Soldato
Agree, yes it's poor support of existing older hardware which is a shame. The last bios to be put up on the website is nearly 2 years old now and is a beta.That's quite poor
Also, the version system is rubbish. Not only do the supposedly latest betas's have surprising time stamps of when uploaded (making it hard to know really what is the latest), they have skipped the F15 final (nothing but beta's) and there's an F16 with no letter that is a beta? I thought beta's were denoted with a letter following.
The board is fine but on the firmware/software update side it's enough to make me want to look elsewhere next time.

Last edited:
Associate
Spoke too soon lol, the "Power surge on USB port" error has happened on 16g as well.

I thought their was supposed to be a Gigabyte support rep on these forums ? You don't see much of him/her, if anything.

Associate
I contacted them a while ago via a ticket with this issue and got nowhere, it's not an isolated issue with the odd board as a lot of people have reported the same issue, a Google search of "Gigabyte power surge on usb port" will confirm it.

I'm doing a new build shortly, unfortunately it won't be a Gigabyte board I'll be using. I just can't have a board that throws up error messages due to a faulty bios reporting issues that aren't there, it would be hard to know which is a genuine error and which isn't.

Last edited:
Soldato
^^^^ I would not let one bad experience turn you off from using that brand again, especially if you have been offered the help as noted above. I can understand your frustration and, naturally, you can do as you wish, but I have found Gigabytes after sales service and UK based support to be nothing short of superb. It has certainly been much much better than any of the other brands I have used when I have needed their support.
Gigabyte even sorted out on socket for me completely FOC when I had damaged it on one of my Z77 boards, excellent service :)

Associate
I contacted them a while ago via a ticket with this issue and got nowhere, it's not an isolated issue with the odd board as a lot of people have reported the same issue, a Google search of "Gigabyte power surge on usb port" will confirm it.

I'm doing a new build shortly, unfortunately it won't be a Gigabyte board I'll be using. I just can't have a board that throws up error messages due to a faulty bios reporting issues that aren't there, it would be hard to know which is a genuine error and which isn't.

Please send me trust (PM) with details of your ticket (Email-ID number or your email address used for e-support system) and I will check what's happened and what opportunities we have to solve it.

Associate
Please send me trust (PM) with details of your ticket (Email-ID number or your email address used for e-support system) and I will check what's happened and what opportunities we have to solve it.

Thanks for the reply GIGA Man

Ive looked high and low for the details of the ticket but can't find them, i did it through the automated system on the Gigabyte website then i had a reply via email which i think had a link in it and all the replies were in that.

We changed internet providers earlier this year so i'm not on the same email address as when i submitted the ticket, can't remember exactly what my old email address was.

Is it possible that you could raise this issue with them ? I don't think its specific to my board as a lot of people have reported the same issue. It doesn't happen on every boot, you may go a good few days without seeing the message then you might get it happening a few times within hours of each other.

The message says similar to this

"A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeds the power limits of its hub. You should disconnect the device"

I'm not saying its a 100% Gigabyte fault, it could be dodgy USB drivers from intel, i have the latest versions. Its something that Intel or Gigabyte could do with sorting.

Thanks

Soldato
just got my rig out of storage and did some upgrades, having some issues with msata port and titanium HD soundcard and edifier T1600T speakers.

it doesn't detect the msata, crucial 256 gig card, or some of my other drives come to think of it - i have 1 ssd and 4 sata hdd's., and the soundcard is uinstalled but no sound from the edifier. both brand new sealed for last 9 mths. mobo issue or card issue?

i think my bios might be out of date probably, will check tonight.

Associate
Anyone having a constant 'you just unplugged an audio device' issue?

Plagued me for ages, had to disable all forms of notification for audio devices in the end.

Also having random crashes - not BSOD, but PC locks up completely and has to be switched off. Had to remove both GPUS to even use windows reliably. I'll be moving on from this board the first chance I get.

Soldato
Not had that issue, with the audio device.

Then again ever since I have had this board, for ages, it has simply been absolutely rock solid and reliable. Perfect overclock with my 3570k and never misses a beat. Not that I need to but this sort of stability always make me hesitate if I should ever feel the need to change.

Associate
Rock solid board for me too. Rev 1.0 off clearance, so I presume the original owner had issues or was maybe put off by some ppl's probs with usb3 power thing.

just got my rig out of storage and did some upgrades, having some issues with msata port and titanium HD soundcard and edifier T1600T speakers.

it doesn't detect the msata, crucial 256 gig card, or some of my other drives come to think of it - i have 1 ssd and 4 sata hdd's., and the soundcard is uinstalled but no sound from the edifier. both brand new sealed for last 9 mths. mobo issue or card issue?

i think my bios might be out of date probably, will check tonight.

Could be bios related but also may be worth a quick check. Is the crucial msata uefi only? Had an issue with a regular sata crucial 256 MX100. Turned out the stock setting in the bios for storage was Legacy only.

Associate
hi guys

i just stumbled across this thread after searching for a solution for a couple of hours. i cannot seem to be able to enable the built in intel gfx in the BIOS.

i am running rev 1.0 board, BIOS F15q and a gigabyte GTX680OC with 4GB of vram. no matter what i set the bios internal graphics to, it doesn't get recognized in windows.

i want to test out this lucid MVP thing, but i can't get the internal card on :(

so far i have tried to set the init first to PEG and IGFX, igfx seems to get reverted to auto whenever i reenter BIOS. PEG setting is kept, but doesn't seem to make any difference. this is with internal graphics enabled and set to use the max amount of ram 1024M.

any insight please? what am i doing wrong? shall i flash BIOS to one of the modded ones?

edit: cpu is an i7 3770k

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom