**Official Gigabyte Z87X-OC Discussion Thread**

turned X.M.P off and changed memory frequency to 1866. PC boots to windows but takes a few goes (3 on then off cycles).

Also, when I power off my on/off button sometimes fails to power on the pc. I have to open the lid and press the power on button.

Are these signs of a faulty motherboard?

Not having much luck 4.3ghz stable on 1.26v however 4.2ghz stable on 1.17v whats the point of keeping at 4.3 with that much voltage. 4.4 is stable at 1.3v just keeping it at 4.2 for now since temps are amazing at 1.17v max 63 degrees on nh-d14 guess I didn't get a lucky chip :(

Last edited:
Seems few of us with this board aren't getting lucky with chips. Any chance it could be the board causing problems? Are we all going to be forced to get Asus Maximum VI Formula boards? (Yes I'm looking for a reason! :))

Not having much luck 4.3ghz stable on 1.26v however 4.2ghz stable on 1.17v whats the point of keeping at 4.3 with that much voltage. 4.4 is stable at 1.3v just keeping it at 4.2 for now since temps are amazing at 1.17v max 63 degrees on nh-d14 guess I didn't get a lucky chip :(

Mine is exactly the same!.

Been trying out my 4770K this morning.

Still got lots more testing to do, but so far seeming stable (10mins Prime at least) 4.2GHz @ 1.2v. Considering my 4670K wouldn't do 4GHz @ 1.25v this is looking better.

Prime95 is pushing my temps up to 95ºC/89ºC/86ºC/80ºC though, which is worrying. Is this because I'm using a H60 and they're a bit rubbish or is it down the the IHS TIM?
Would replacing the stock fan on the H60 (refurb) help?

If it's just down to the H60 being a bit rubbish then that's fine as I'm planning on watercooling it once I'm happy with the chip.

Once issue regarding the motherboard, why when I set the VCore to 1.2v i nthe BIOS does it show as going up to 1.224v while running Prime? Is that LLC kicking in?

just down to pot luck with the chip they get,isnt there low llc? is standard the lowest?

But surely 4.2GHz at 1.175v (as it is now) should run cooler than at 1.3v, let alone at 4.5GHz+?

I'm not totally sure about the LLC settings. It sounds like Low should be the lowest, but on the graphi you get in the BIOS Standard and Normal seem to be the bottom line (Extreme is the top).

If this is in regard to me yes at 1.3v I touch 85 and barely touch 70 at 1.17v

See that's the thing, at 1.175v my hottest core hits 92ºC. Surely they both have the same IHS TIM issue so why does your run cooler?

I've not tried it at 1.3v after temps got to 99ºC at 1.25v.

So the difference at 4.2GHz between 1.25v and 1.175v (0.075v difference) is 7-8ºC on hottest core (I stopped the 1.25v one once it got to 99ºC).

yes that's right less voltage = less heat,not the other way around,sorry if im bit confused

the cooler you can cool the chip also should result in needing slightly less voltage

No problem, but there is a question I have not seem to find the answer on and that's: at what voltage does the life expectancy of your cpu degrade at surely 1.172v to be precised wouldn't damage it over prolonged use i.e 5years. Would running at 1.25/1.3v break the cpu after a couple of years???

poor paste under the his

it varies widely from chip to chip,poor application,thicker or thinner gaps ect

at ben,those voltages are fine so don't worry,id be concerned at anything above 1.4v for me maybe 1.36-1.38 on haswell? idk

currently have my 3770k @4.8ghz 1.38v and its fine (oh it helps if you can clock so that the cpu clocks down at idle in speed/voltage) but even a fixed constant cpu voltage should be fine

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom