***Official GTAV PC Thread*** [Important warning updated in the OP]

Can you elaborate on what you are experiencing?

There are a few things to try before considering a HD change. Regardless of necessity, a SSD is the best upgrade anybody can make who is currently on a HDD. PC or Laptop. IMO

First thing I would do to test however, is try increasing your Virtual memory to 12GB and test, You can put it back to windows managed if it has no effect, For me that resolved most of my stutter and rubber banding issues... (make sure you have enough space on your drive or that will cause more issues)

If I'm in a mission for example, and the characters are talking, there'll be occasional frame skips/drops just before they start talking/animating. Sometimes I'll be in game and if there's a few characters animated/talking I'll drop to 30fps and then it'll come back.

A similar thing happens in Train Sim 2016, if I'm on a busy route (Koln-Koblenz for example), I get drops down to 4fps whilst it's loading new scenery. To me, this all points to a storage issue.

Now, when I get the 1TB SSD I've just ordered, I'll be doing a clean install of Win10 (currently on 8.1) and a clean install of the graphics drivers, so this may go some way to alleviating some issue.

Agree about the heists, never get bored of them.

If that is true about bad sports and insurance... I recon they should leave it off. Whilst I can see people griefing a bit, it works both ways... Killing a douche who is in a Kuruma shooting everybody should not be punished... However I can see people's reluctance as low rider meets only need a merryweather air strike to caause carnage and significant rage..

I do like a merryweather air strike lol .

Agreed, private sessions will be a must for the time being. Have seen some awful screenshots on Reddit of races where people have glitched it into giving millions as a reward and finishing the races in 25s etc due to teleportation.

Well i shall be on this afternoon into tonight for some heists if i can join someone from here that'd great.

As for display settings mentioned above, i'm running the game on mostly ultra settings, and managing to maintain 60fps most of the time, but i'm only using around 4.2GB of VRAM so am i missing some setting that makes it look better to use more VRAM?

Rich.

I'll be on after work around 9pm if your still on at that time. Currently working on the pacific standard, 3 setups left then the main heist so it shouldn't take too long.

If your running at 1080p or 1440p then I think about 4 to 5GB of VRAM being used is about right with most settings maxed out. I'm running at 3325x1871 downscaled to 1080p (FXAA) so that will take more VRAM than normal.

I will be on as well tonight for some heists, I think I have you added Rich so shall see you tonight :)

Rad - time sounds good bud.

If I'm in a mission for example, and the characters are talking, there'll be occasional frame skips/drops just before they start talking/animating. Sometimes I'll be in game and if there's a few characters animated/talking I'll drop to 30fps and then it'll come back.

A similar thing happens in Train Sim 2016, if I'm on a busy route (Koln-Koblenz for example), I get drops down to 4fps whilst it's loading new scenery. To me, this all points to a storage issue.

Now, when I get the 1TB SSD I've just ordered, I'll be doing a clean install of Win10 (currently on 8.1) and a clean install of the graphics drivers, so this may go some way to alleviating some issue.

From what I have seen in GTA - it is a very optimised game considering the visual return you get for the resources used.

I have been playing the division this week, my rig is in my sig - SLI ti's overclocked, 5820k overclocked, 16gb RAM - and I cant run that game at 4k at anymore than 50fps....and the visual return is not that great IMO. It looks good but not on the same level as GTA.

Then when we go to GTA - I am on 4k, have every setting on the highest it can go with the exception of MSAA and Reflection MSAA - they are on x2, and the advanced graphics options are enabled - I get 60fps constact, in fact it never drops below 70fps.

With my settings I utilise 94.3% VRAM, and 8.5GB RAM regularly and its perfect.

HOWEVER.....I can very easily break my game and make it look choppy and even drop frames and that is with the Vsync settings.

EDIT: On my old rig I had GTA installed on a WD blue HDD and it was fine, I didn't see much change moving to SSD tbh

I have Vsync in game off, then Vsync on Adaptive in the NVidia control panel and that works wonders.

If I turn the in game vsync on - I get frame rate drops, stuttering, cut scene glitches which matches what you are saying.

Check the vsync and see what its at.

Last edited:
GTA is probably the best looking game for the power needed ive ever seen. When ya compare it to GTA 4, ya need a total beast of a PC to play that. Some of the settings in gta 4 are probably still to demanding to max out. I remember the shadows in that were a total fps killer.

GTA is probably the best looking game for the power needed ive ever seen. When ya compare it to GTA 4, ya need a total beast of a PC to play that. Some of the settings in gta 4 are probably still to demanding to max out. I remember the shadows in that were a total fps killer.

I played GTA IV yesterday and I get much better fps in GTA V than IV! You know how games that were turds in the past can be powered through on modern PCs... I don't think GTA IV will ever achieve that! I have no idea how we played it on Q6600s and 8800GTs!

I replayed GTA IV in the long run up to V being released and even with my 980 and 4790k it ran like tortoise with a broken leg... GTA V is amazing and I do believe it when they say it was built for the PC and was not a port.

I replayed GTA IV in the long run up to V being released and even with my 980 and 4790k it ran like tortoise with a broken leg... GTA V is amazing and I do believe it when they say it was built for the PC and was not a port.

Every time I upgraded my PC when GTA 4 was out the game just ran slower and slower.

Even now maxed out at 1080p on a 980 Ti and 4790k I just cannot maintain 60fps, a lot of the time it drops to the low 40s and around the bridge areas it drops to 20fps. Game just runs like crap.

Even if I force the nvidia drivers to keep the card on maxed clocks it still runs like crap. Game ran very well on my 8800 GTX and AMD 4800x2, considering how much faster current hardware is I should be topping 200fps+. GTA 4 just does not have a clue how to use modern hardware, shame they couldn't remaster it and perhaps try and make it run on the GTA 5 engine.

Anybody up for heists this evening?

Definitely up for some heists, I have three setups left on the pac standard one so that one take too long to finish, hopefully if Rich is on I will invite.

Just got in from work a little later than planned, having something quick to eat and I'll jump on by 9:30pm.

From what I have seen in GTA - it is a very optimised game considering the visual return you get for the resources used.

I have been playing the division this week, my rig is in my sig - SLI ti's overclocked, 5820k overclocked, 16gb RAM - and I cant run that game at 4k at anymore than 50fps....and the visual return is not that great IMO. It looks good but not on the same level as GTA.

Then when we go to GTA - I am on 4k, have every setting on the highest it can go with the exception of MSAA and Reflection MSAA - they are on x2, and the advanced graphics options are enabled - I get 60fps constact, in fact it never drops below 70fps.

With my settings I utilise 94.3% VRAM, and 8.5GB RAM regularly and its perfect.

HOWEVER.....I can very easily break my game and make it look choppy and even drop frames and that is with the Vsync settings.

EDIT: On my old rig I had GTA installed on a WD blue HDD and it was fine, I didn't see much change moving to SSD tbh

I have Vsync in game off, then Vsync on Adaptive in the NVidia control panel and that works wonders.

If I turn the in game vsync on - I get frame rate drops, stuttering, cut scene glitches which matches what you are saying.

Check the vsync and see what its at.

Don't have vsync on in-game. I think I had it on previously through nVidia Control Panel. I've just done a clean install and lost all my profiles so I'll try and see how I get on without messing around, other than putting vsync on adaptive.

At present with Medium settings I am currently getting around 45 FPS when cruising around the City. This dips down to 30 during busy scenes and up to 60 when in the country. If I were to ugprade to an i7 4790k/5820k would I be likely to see a constant smooth 60 FPS at 1080p on my rig below?

Thanks!

At present with Medium settings I am currently getting around 45 FPS when cruising around the City. This dips down to 30 during busy scenes and up to 60 when in the country. If I were to ugprade to an i7 4790k/5820k would I be likely to see a constant smooth 60 FPS at 1080p on my rig below?

Thanks!

I'm on mostly high/very high settings (not quite maxed) with an i5-4690K OC'd to 4.3GHz and a GTX970, and get near enough solid 60fps. I get dips, especially with big explosions or blasting through the busiest parts of the city at night (all the lights and shadows!).

I know its a bit late but going to jump on for a while.

Also Jlarks - your current CPU will be bottlenecking that card, so a better CPU will do wonders.

I had a single TI on a 8350 for a while and even that bottlenecked a good bit

I also agree on the CPU, I'd say it's holding the 970 back. A current gen Intel i3 should outperform the FX6100.

A CPU upgrade to an i5/i7 would be quite a nice upgrade and allow the 970 to perform at its best.

I'll be jumping on again after work around 8:30pm. Still have the pac standard to finish :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fired this up last night for the first time in a while to test out my new speakers, had an awesome time even though it was just with randoms so I'll be on again tonight and over the rest of the weekend if anybody wants to play some heists, races, missions or whatever else. :)

I'm on mostly high/very high settings (not quite maxed) with an i5-4690K OC'd to 4.3GHz and a GTX970, and get near enough solid 60fps. I get dips, especially with big explosions or blasting through the busiest parts of the city at night (all the lights and shadows!).

What res are you playing on? I have every setting turned onto High, FXAA enabled, long shadows and the pedestrian density (or whatever it's called) to about halfway and I get 50-60fps constantly. I've only got an HD7870 and an FX6350.

Last edited:
Fired this up last night for the first time in a while to test out my new speakers, had an awesome time even though it was just with randoms so I'll be on again tonight and over the rest of the weekend if anybody wants to play some heists, races, missions or whatever else. :)

What res are you playing on? I have every setting turned onto High, FXAA enabled, long shadows and the pedestrian density (or whatever it's called) to about halfway and I get 50-60fps constantly. I've only got an HD7870 and an FX6350.

I'm at 1680x1050 as I'm on an older monitor.

Finally manged to hit the 12 Million RP and get above our cheater in resident black_bear...

Might be about this evening with s bit of luck, massive fails last couple of days...

Back
Top Bottom