** Official Horizon: Forbidden West Complete Edition Thread **

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The PS5 pad is not ergonomic enough with that stick layout and the d-pad is almost as bad as Microsoft d-ads :p

Works fine for me. 35 hours in HFW and it has been very good :D

And yes I also have a current gen Xbox controller. Depending on the game I switch between them no issues.

Associate
Think if I was going to replace my controller I'd go with the DualSense Edge so I can switch between travel on the shoulder buttons, but the Edge controller needs better battery life for the price.

Associate
Think if I was going to replace my controller I'd go with the DualSense Edge so I can switch between travel on the shoulder buttons, but the Edge controller needs better battery life for the price.
Yeah, that's my only complaint with the Edge. I use it for most games on PS5 and PC - but the battery life is really poor.

Soldato
I just got a new gamepad delivered today, the front face buttons are all micro switches with far less travel than the membrane buttons on everything else and it's a game changer mostly as a result, tactile micro switches are the way to game :cool:

Sent the 8BitDo back because it started creaking not even a full month into buying it!

Hah was going to say that's what I have then you said it was a clone! I grabbed a ms pc elite pad off facebook for £60 barely used a while back. Some games are just better with gamepad but HFW is an odd duck in the sense that aiming is better on kb/m.

Think I'll switch between the two if I don't get used to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
On my LG C2 42 I've gone with these settings for HDR, I've been switching shadow boost to +5 on occasion, I can't quite settle on what I should have it at...
This is with the TV set to gaming mode with dynamic tone mapping / 100% screen brightness (No HGIG) and windows HDR calibrated.
image.png

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
On my LG C2 42 I've gone with these settings for HDR, I've been switching shadow boost to +5 on occasion, I can't quite settle on what I should have it at...
This is with the TV set to gaming mode with dynamic tone mapping (No HGIG) and windows HDR calibrated.
image.png

-7??

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah, if I had it higher I lose detail in the clouds, -7 provides the most detail for me

I rarely look at the clouds if ever. What about the rest of the game? I just use the game and see what setting looks nice when playing. I found higher number was more pleasing to me. But it is a personal preference thing I suppose.

You got some like mrk who want accurate colours so much that he does not use HDR. I go with what looks pleasing rather than what looks accurate personally and HDR is a lot more pleasing than SDR to me :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't see how HDR vs SDR is even a debate, realistic colours?? What real life robots are we comparing these colours against again? Why not go one further and just play in grayscale for realistic tones.
Or was it the blue aliens as a reference point.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I rarely look at the clouds if ever. What about the rest of the game? I just use the game and see what setting looks nice when playing. I found higher number was more pleasing to me. But it is a personal preference thing I suppose.

You got some like mrk who want accurate colours so much that he does not use HDR. I go with what looks pleasing rather than what looks accurate personally and HDR is a lot more pleasing than SDR to me :D

I don't see how HDR vs SDR is even a debate, realistic colours?? What real life robots are we comparing these colours against again? Why not go one further and just play in grayscale for realistic tones.

6edeMgK.jpeg

Soldato
In game I'm only struggling with the shadows really, I can't determine how dark some areas should actually be. The highlight and shadow configuration only affects some parts of the picture in some areas. For example when you have a contrast with a bright sun in the sky and you are standing in an area with alcoves/shaded areas. In areas with direct sunlight everywhere (like an open plane) neither seems to make much a difference. I really don't like the highlights at 0 as it makes parts of the sky so bright you lose all the detail. I'm wondering if HDR isn't actually implemented correctly in this game. It still looks a hell of a lot better than SDR.

edit: going back to the first city area staring at the sun and clouds -8 gives the most clarity whilst -7 offers that extremely bright point of light around the sun which seems like a good trade off, going higher than -7 makes the image more and more saturated.
edit 2: when in the HDR settings screen in game it makes the game image brighter. When you back out of the menu the image because overall darker. Very annoying!
edit 3: I think the screen is appearing darker in game due to weather and being in menu disables the weather.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are there not other factors in play like if you're using HgIG or DTM etc? I recall perusing loads of info until I settle on HDTV guide to setting up HDR on the PS5 at the time. I think a large part of the problem is people don't understand how to set it up right, you can google pretty much any game with it and you'll see posts like "HDR is broken in this game".
Edit: Speaking generally, not aiming that at anyone in here*

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I have HGIG off, I'm using dynamic tone mapping. I've manually set my screen peak brightness to 800 as that's what they measured for HDR at Rtings, also I'm no expert with HDR settings. I just go for the most detail/pleasing picture. It looks great to me but I'm forever tweaking things.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Yeah, I have HGIG off, I'm using dynamic tone mapping. I've manually set my screen peak brightness to 800 as that's what they measured for HDR at Rtings, also I'm not expert with HDR settings. I just go for the most detail/pleasing picture. It looks great to me but I'm forever tweaking things.

Oh, that may explain it then, have a look at this but note it's for the PS5 and a C1, this part particular:

Dynamic Tone Mapping Way​

Your TV always does tone mapping and you can't turn it off. In this case, setting the peak brightness does not make sense. Any brightness levels will be transformed by your TV. It makes no sense to talk about "correct" images in this case. But you can do the following:
Set the Highlights to a very high value of several thousand nits (the tables will help you). After that, adjust the value of the Brightness parameter to get an acceptable exposure of the frame. But keep in mind that since your TV adapts all brightness levels to its liking, a great picture in one scene may not be as good in another scene.

Another thing you could try is disabling HDR in game, and trying the RTX HDR through the control panel, I've had good results with it opposed to auto-hdr and even the built in HDR for some games.

Last edited:
Soldato
I tried HGIG and the image looks worse in general, I'll give RTX HDR a go, I didn't know about this!

Yeah enable HDR in Windows, and then enable it on the app (it's under Graphics/global settings on the new app), then disable HDR in the game :)
If you check dynamic vibrance you can hear mrk screaming in the distance.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just been watching some videos on DTM, I can't believe I've been using it over HGIG. Desktop is darker so I've had to put windows SDR brightness to 100 which looks good. Went to a random site with white squares and background to see if I could tell the difference (https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize) could barely see the white boxes at the top with DTM but with HGIG it is much more obvious. (edit: this is because I had SDR brightness at 100 when testing HGIG, its fine at 40)

Watching SDR/HDR films look miles better with DTM though... so argh I'm having difficulty finding a balance.

edit: I'm sticking with DTM as it works well with SDR content too. HGIG is just too dark even with max SDR brightness. Detail comes back with 40 SDR in windows on bright white pages and films look better and the image in game is very close to HGIG.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom