****** Official IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad ******

Soldato
Yep it looks like things are not going well with BOS

Forcing SP grind to get the unlocks

Threatening to cancel development all together if people dont start posting glowing reviews on metacritic .....

It has all gone Pete Tong :(

The game itself (now released) is more like war thunder arcade style action and less like the sim we were told it would be sadly

There's no way this is seeing any of my money. I didn't have high hopes from the outset after the CLOD disaster. One thing I have learned in life is to trust your gut instinct 99% of the time. My guts were right again. Good old guts.

:D

Soldato
I've played FC/DCS for years and to be fair I can't say I ever played the story or campaigns, if I had to do that to unlock stuff I'd be annoyed too.

It should be a sim, where you do whatever the hell you want right away without having to spend ages to do stuff(like most sims you play). Granted I don't own this game so I don't know what you can unlock and how much bearing it has on types of roles and mission you can play but, 10 hours for some of us is an entire week of spare time for just a single game.

It is bad.

Not to mention falsely advertising a mission editor and server support on steam as a key feature that isn't actually out yet in the "released game".

I'm avoiding it like the plagued until enough time has passed that they can actually finish the game, catch up to the year 2014 and it goes on sale.
I'm not paying for that sort of shoddy development or publisher behavior.

Damn right, I already did that with CLOD. The worst release I have ever seen. Even worse than Rome 2.

Soldato
No unlocks only come from SP, it is just you can use them in MP after you unlocked them in SP.

I dont get the fuss about unlocks tbh -they are just skins and "upgrades" to the planes that have more downsides than benefits (like bigger canons that make yu heavier and thus slower and less maneuverable).

The big problem is SP which they talked about all along ("90% of users care about SP only") and its rubbish. No briefings, no medals, no promotions, no squadrons, randomly generated sparsely populated missions with no connection to each other... Very poor.

But the actual flying and shooting is brilliant, graphics are nice, FM/DM are top notch, sound is great, atmosphere is very good. Which is why it is such a crying shame that all these elements are not combined into a GAME.:(

Last edited:
Soldato
Damn right, I already did that with CLOD. The worst release I have ever seen. Even worse than Rome 2.

This is a much better release than CLOD, the game works fine, there are no show stopping bugs, no stuttering frame rates, cutting out sounds, completely wrong physcis.. like I say the core of IL2:stalingrad is pretty fantastic! The only massive downside is the single player content :(

Soldato
OP
Is having a single player unlock system so bad?

If the single player experience is under 10 hours then that is surely manageable, especially if they make it a good campaign.

More like 40+ hours as some have had the time to do it

Certainly a very "realistic" flight model they got going on ............

Last edited:
Soldato
This is a much better release than CLOD, the game works fine, there are no show stopping bugs, no stuttering frame rates, cutting out sounds, completely wrong physcis.. like I say the core of IL2:stalingrad is pretty fantastic! The only massive downside is the single player content :(

Ok, I'll take your word for it, that's a ton of money for a weak SP game though. Which is pretty much what i'd have time for, perhaps the best thing for me is to wait for it to mature and maybe there will be some good used created campaigns.

Associate
This game looks wicked but there is no ******* way I am paying £70 for the game and two additional planes. Saying that I will def be buying it when I find it cheap enough.

Come on Key sites... take my money!!!

Soldato
Soldato
Real plane @13:21 http://youtu.be/h1qSzCnzXvY?t=13m21s

IL2:Stalingrad has as good flight physics as there is, their engineer was the inventor of DCS AFM after all.

The BoS one looks really off, like it does stuff too robotically if that makes sense, and it's low speed maneuverability seems unrealistic there.

Also, the AFM is terribad for some aircraft, PFM is where it's at :p

Soldato
PFM is just a rebrand of AFM - A10C, P51 and Ka50 had AFM and last year it became PFM without any changes in physics code. you are confusing with SFM from DCS Flaming Cliffs- that is terribad, AFM=PFM is still the pinnacle of flight sims.

BOS

DCS

IL2:stalingrad has actually more features in its AFM- like ground and flack explosions have shockways which affect airflow, also it has wake turbulence that affect trailing aircraft. DCS AFM/PFM lacks these. Basically, physics is a massive plus and not something to criticise BOS for, no one does it better.

Generic single player, sterile empty world- these are the real minuses, but not physics.

Soldato
They are continuing to work on the campaign, so not all is lost yet:
(from SAS forums)

"
[quote author=Juri_JS link=topic=43182.msg485878#msg485878 date=1414346997]
I noticed some cool stuff when I returned from a successful Pe-2 night bombing mission in the campaign.

When I approached my airfield I saw flares.
BoS_night1_zpsb3a5f78c.jpg

They were fired by one of the searchlight crews.
BoS_night2_zpsb8ddbf83.jpg

When I came closer the fires along the runway were lit and the searchlights illuminated the touchdown point.
BoS_night4_zps90d53356.jpg

The firing of flares stopped when I started my landing approach.
BoS_night5_zpsf5bde2c6.jpg

On the ground my mechanic Kolya was already waiting for me.
BoS_night6_zps6ac1bb02.jpg

Very atmospheric and a good example of what can be achieved by the use of triggers.
[/QUOTE]

Soldato

I guess I will have to actually fly it myself before complaining :p
But it really looks like the BOS aircraft doing a roll doesn't sink when banked nor does it seem to need to increase it's angle of attack to remain at altitude inverted.

But again, I have no idea what the person flying is doing with the joystick or what it looked like from inside so....yeah, I'll hold my tongue for now!

As for wake turbulence and all that, I'll believe it when I see it, there's something about this game that doesn't look right when you compare all the other silly stuff. I'm not saying I don't believe a game can have that stuff, that's alright but if it ACTUALLY went ahead and added it? I can't find any videos :<

edit: However I will say, I've seen some 109 combat stuff that looked really good! Maybe this is just some oddities, you can find that stuff in DCS too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@ChrisJSY , you might want to wait until a cheaper version comes out lest you be
left feeling that it was not money well spent

There are some rumours going about regarding people being paid to talk up the game and try to silence anyone pointing out the games flaws

The whole reviewgate debacle that happened a few weeks ago defo pointed out some strange and unsettling behaviour from this company

Soldato
I guess I will have to actually fly it myself before complaining :p
But it really looks like the BOS aircraft doing a roll doesn't sink when banked nor does it seem to need to increase it's angle of attack to remain at altitude inverted.

But again, I have no idea what the person flying is doing with the joystick or what it looked like from inside so....yeah, I'll hold my tongue for now!

As for wake turbulence and all that, I'll believe it when I see it, there's something about this game that doesn't look right when you compare all the other silly stuff. I'm not saying I don't believe a game can have that stuff, that's alright but if it ACTUALLY went ahead and added it? I can't find any videos :<

edit: However I will say, I've seen some 109 combat stuff that looked really good! Maybe this is just some oddities, you can find that stuff in DCS too.

Here are shockwave physics from ROF and BOS is running the same physics engine.

Soldato
OP
If anyone is thinking of buying this game , I would wait and see

If it wasn't bad enough that you have to grind in SP to get "unlocks"

You are flying the "campaign" to grind and get the unlocks but the damn game crashes after you have completed the objective and before you have a chance to land ...... very disheartening to say the least

I hope they get these bugs sorted out soon

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice! In most respects its a mountain made out of a mole hill - revoking server and free stuff after people refuse to abide to some company code. But I do think that Jason Williams should have known better than close a server which had over 1000 man hours of content created by these enthusiasts. Closing it over such minor disagreement was a bad call, it was dumb.

Back
Top Bottom