*** Official Prey (2017) Thread ***

Soldato
Prey is on a Daily deal on cdkeys for £14.50 or £13.77 with the Facebook discount!

Gone for it!

I thought it would just change the demo over and update but that's disappeared and it's installing fresh though the prey demo is still in my steam folder :/.

Do the dlc items ruin the game at all? It comes with some extras and if they off set the balance of what is intended I would rather not use them, any thoughts?

Associate
Prey is on a Daily deal on cdkeys for £14.50 or £13.77 with the Facebook discount!

Gone for it!

I thought it would just change the demo over and update but that's disappeared and it's installing fresh though the prey demo is still in my steam folder :/.

Do the dlc items ruin the game at all? It comes with some extras and if they off set the balance of what is intended I would rather not use them, any thoughts?

Great offer, think I'll jump on this as well!!
Does prey run DX12 or 11?

Soldato

Gone for it!

Wow that’s a damn good deal!

Soldato
So far so good, just been exploring the lobby area and it's great. Loads of details and lots to explore. Not really sure how to tackle the bigger enemies early on, I guess just avoid them?

Soldato
Either avoid, get your repair up and carry around turrets, or get glooing and wrenching :p

Nice :D

I think I'm trying to worry about doing too much too fast, dont want to miss anything but also am assuming some areas I maybe can't reach until I progress the main mission a bit? I'm not too sure.

Left the dlc shotgun in the cupboard, want the full experiance :D

Associate
Nice :D

I think I'm trying to worry about doing too much too fast, dont want to miss anything but also am assuming some areas I maybe can't reach until I progress the main mission a bit? I'm not too sure.

Left the dlc shotgun in the cupboard, want the full experiance :D

As far as I know the dlc shotgun has the exact same stats and upgrade levels as a standard one. It's just a different skin.

I started playing this a couple of weeks ago and think I'm pretty close to the end of the game now, but I'm just trying to finish off some optional objectives because I'm not likely to replay it soon. My only complaint is that the game gives you too many resources allowing you to complete everything in one go, rather than making you commit to a play style and effectively locking out areas, objectives, and information that would make future plays more interesting and keep the difficulty level in check throughout the game, which was great at the start on nightmare, but soon became a breeze. Otherwise it's fantastic.

Soldato
Can't speak for the shotgun, but wasn't sure when you receive one naturally so didn't want to get it too early and hamper the difficulty. Do you get it early any way then?

Also you get some NM's with the DLC which I didn't want to use for similar reasons

Last edited:
Associate
Can't speak for the shotgun, but wasn't sure when you receive one naturally so didn't want to get it too early and hamper the difficulty. Do you get it early any way then?

Also you get some NM's with the DLC which I didn't want to use for similar reasons

You receive it in either the security station in the Lobby or Morgans office

Associate
Just finished this game after getting it for 50% off during a random Steam weekend.

It's absolutely phenomenal, and it actually pains me to say that I think it's better now than any 'true' sequel would've been. However, that's all conjecture so we'll never really know.
Having said that, Prey is easily the best game I've played since Doom.

I think the fact that it changed my mind through the course of the game really helped matters. It started out as a Bioshock-in-space (and not just System Shock) but quickly turned into something way more than that. The fact that nearly every action you take can have a fundamental impact on the conclusion to the story is the real icing on the cake.

Overall 10/10, bloody brilliant game.

Soldato
Did the first one have some sort of native Indian chap guiding you? i have a vague memory of it? :confused:

It was definitely a Native American protagonist. I remember the opening scene, where the bar is ripped apart and you're sucked up to the alien ship. Don't remember much else either, other than the interesting and novel (at the time) gravity mechanics.

I enjoyed the original, but much preferred the 2017 version.

I finished it the other day and it's my game of the year so far. Really liking Arkane's stuff in general at the moment actually, and I'm a bit hard-pressed to say which I preferred out of this and Dishonored I or II.

I didn't like some elements of the game (like seaching in zero-g around the huge station for the way into wherever you needed to get to), but generally the atmosphere and gameplay mechanics were top notch. I'm a bit cross with myself that I avoided Typhon powers for well over half of the game (maybe nearly two-thirds of it) because of that warning about how big a negative step it could be.

When I finally gave in and spent my dozens of spare neuromods going into the Typhon skill trees the game became much more fun and I felt much more of a badass hero! A bit OP once you get a few maxed powers and psychic water, mind - I was just endlessly psychoshocking, mindjacking, electfiying and blasting everything with abandon. It totally took away the tension caused by having to manage the threat with limited resources, and I ended the game with almost 100 shotgun shells, 200 pistol round and over 1,000 q-beam and disruptor charges (not to mention over 60 medkits and psi hypos). A nightmare? Oh, ok... psychoshock, electrostatic burst, kinetic blast, combat focus... electrostatic burst, psychoshock... goodnight... back to water fountain for max psi.

Great art direction and level design complemented the gameplay very nicely, I thought too. And the enemies and powers lent it all a very distinctive feel. It's obviously heavily influenced by both Bioshock and the original two System Shock games. For me, though, it couldn't approach the heights of atmosphere, story, character, tension and horror of the first two games. I know I won't be hearing the voices of the game in my head or remembering the enemies and settings with a shiver down the spine years from now, like I do when thinking back to Xerxes, Shodan, hive mind-possessed crew, psychic monkeys, and suicidal protocol droids! Still a damn fine game, though.

Back
Top Bottom