• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Finally managed to have a mess round with my Ryzen test system today, since I still have not received my Z370 board, so took the opportunity to pull the timings a bit on the RAM.

W8YQt0i.png

Will has some more time later in the week, see how it does at 3333MHz with better subtimings.

EhhUdr2.png

That's with normal 3333MHZ C14.

Quite impressed with the tighter timings tbh, it's a shame it just sits there most of the time and does nothing.

Soldato
Finally managed to have a mess round with my Ryzen test system today, since I still have not received my Z370 board, so took the opportunity to pull the timings a bit on the RAM.

W8YQt0i.png

Will has some more time later in the week, see how it does at 3333MHz with better subtimings.

EhhUdr2.png

That's with normal 3333MHZ C14.

Quite impressed with the tighter timings tbh, it's a shame it just sits there most of the time and does nothing.

Images not working :)

Soldato
It's due to your DNS settings from your ISP. It was happening to me a few weeks back figured it out with the help of Google, strangely enough just after I changed ISP, soon as I started using the Google DNS servers problem has gone, it was just showing
{IMG}

Soldato
It's due to your DNS settings from your ISP. It was happening to me a few weeks back figured it out with the help of Google, strangely enough just after I changed ISP, soon as I started using the Google DNS servers problem has gone, it was just showing
{IMG}

I have turned off the Vodafone protection, however Firefox and Chrome register imgur as unsafe blocking the images.

Soldato
I have turned off the Vodafone protection, however Firefox and Chrome register imgur as unsafe blocking the images.

OMG what a coincidence it's Voda I moved to from BT, same bloody phone line, their DNS is craptastic. I went with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in the router settings and it fixed the internet for me. :)

Soldato
OMG what a coincidence it's Voda I moved to from BT, same bloody phone line, their DNS is craptastic. I went with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in the router settings and it fixed the internet for me. :)

For all their faults, they provide me 67mbit line for a fraction at the cost of my previous provider, Sky. And very low latency on games (20-23ms on WOT which matters).Also their router is superb forcing 5Ghz only connection, so 130mbit connection to the router is pretty good.

And that in the middle of Lincolnshire.... (nearest city is 13miles away, Scunny).

I know off topic, where I change that? On the router or the wifi connection?
Because I do not see DNS setting changes on the router config page.

Permabanned
For all their faults, they provide me 67mbit line for a fraction at the cost of my previous provider, Sky. And very low latency on games (20-23ms on WOT which matters).Also their router is superb forcing 5Ghz only connection, so 130mbit connection to the router is pretty good.

And that in the middle of Lincolnshire.... (nearest city is 13miles away, Scunny).

Scunny a city now? Its going places...... :p

Soldato
Whats the worst thing can happen when going to setup new system?
Running out of thermal paste, even if just half hour ago, could easily put the hand on fire swearing had a whole tube of Kryonaut existed in the house.......
Well. 1800X has to wait one more night.
I've had to run to a local store and buy some stupidly overpriced thermal paste before for the same reason. :D

Soldato

Router is best so it affects all devices connected to it, but most ISP supplied routers won't allow you to change it. Next best thing is to set it on the network adapter.

Soldato
Built now? Manage to fix your DNS? :)

Just finished setting up the hardware, 1800X and CH6 worked in first go. Upgraded bios to 1701.
Time to format the windows now :)

Came late tonight, M62 was horrible today. 3h in the morning and 3h tonight to get from Wakefield to home. A 130 miles round trip.(65+65)

DNS no, the router doesn't allow changes, hence asked you if you did it via it to tell me how, going to change it the DNS over the network in 20 minutes when windows are fresh :)

The thing that baffles me tonight is that on the Gigabyte X99 UG, on the USB 3 socket, the wifi on the 5ghz band was working max out 130mbit. On the Asus goes 195mbit with stronger signal. Nothing else has changed. Yes the pc is on same position as last night.
weird.

Soldato
The thing that baffles me tonight is that on the Gigabyte X99 UG, on the USB 3 socket, the wifi on the 5ghz band was working max out 130mbit. On the Asus goes 195mbit with stronger signal. Nothing else has changed. Yes the pc is on same position as last night.
weird.

Newer driver?

You'll need to change the DNS address in your network adapter then in Windows.

Hope you are having fun with the new build. :)

Soldato
Hum, just on default settings, did a quick run on CPUZ to stress the legs for a bit, while windows download updates. Few things. XFR pushed the CPU to 4.3Ghz briefly!

While is sitting at 3.7Ghz @ 1.264v almost constantly. With some scary spikes to 1.584. :/
Interesting. Need to explore more the upcoming days the whole thing :) and overclock it.

Update.

The 3600Mhz Ram overclock profile, didn't run on first go, because the motherboard was generous pumping 1.438v to the modules. Lowered it to 1.37v and seems good.
(using my old Gskil 3600C16 modules atm, yes is SamsungB)

Also I lose the Tweaker's Paradise option in the Bios. heheheheh :D

Last edited:
Soldato
While is sitting at 3.7Ghz @ 1.264v almost constantly. With some scary spikes to 1.584. :/

Welcome to the X series ;) But seriously, I panicked about the same thing for my 1600X and spent ages researching only to conclude that AMD's stance on it is "that's what the X series is meant to do, the spikes are in the millisecond timescales, and it does no harm at all". They also say that XFR is cooling dependant, so the better your thermals, the more savage the chip will get with its boost clocks and volts. I'm sure there is an absolute cap, but some people have reported as high as 1.6XXv - for those tiny bursts. Sustained and average voltage is always reasonable, and on the whole, they are not hot chips :)

Be interested to see what happens when/if you overclock. My motherboard slams the base voltage to 1.4v the moment I go even 250mhz above stock clocks. I can't control the resulting temps with "just" a 240mm AiO and have to stick to stock :( You'll have better luck if you can work with p-states though :)

Soldato
Welcome to the X series ;) But seriously, I panicked about the same thing for my 1600X and spent ages researching only to conclude that AMD's stance on it is "that's what the X series is meant to do, the spikes are in the millisecond timescales, and it does no harm at all". They also say that XFR is cooling dependant, so the better your thermals, the more savage the chip will get with its boost clocks and volts. I'm sure there is an absolute cap, but some people have reported as high as 1.6XXv - for those tiny bursts. Sustained and average voltage is always reasonable, and on the whole, they are not hot chips :)

Be interested to see what happens when/if you overclock. My motherboard slams the base voltage to 1.4v the moment I go even 250mhz above stock clocks. I can't control the resulting temps with "just" a 240mm AiO and have to stick to stock :( You'll have better luck if you can work with p-states though :)

I was playing with the overclocking settings last half hour. Some interesting findings.
The 3600Mhz ram profile, caps the CPU to 3600Mhz also. Trying to change the CPU link, (2 options only) changes to LN2 mode, trying to push the CPU to 4.86Ghz......
The CPU seems stable at 4Ghz profile with an extra 100mhz added, so 4.1Ghz. However that setting doesn't allow the ram to go over 2933Mhz from the set settings.

Tried a quick and dirty approach to modify the 4Ghz profile with 3600Mhz ram, and kicked me back. So it needs BLCK overclock to get the 3600Mhz ram, cannot do it at 100Mhz base clock.
So going to spend many happy hours (literally) trying playing err... configuring, the bios settings. :D

Definitely far more stable platform than March when got the CH6 with the 1700X and got it burned (by the mobo)....

(OK after many boring easy overclock years with Intel, going to leave myself loose in a BIOS experimenting exploring it like the good old days).

{ooohhh that P states does, let is put some random hex number here}

Soldato
Lol, more detail than I expected @Panos :) Sounds like a confusing set of options, but if you have p-state settings, you're basically golden.

If only there had been an X370 mATX option, I'd have jumped on it just for that, but instead I had to settle for B350 - which it turns out doesn't really know what to do to overclock an X chip :(

Trying for 3600mhz on the memory is quite optimistic though... 3200 is still a challenge on Ryzen, outside of very specific ram kits! I got tired of trying to pass 3066 after I realised that every error results in a boot-loop and a need to clear CMOS. More effort than it was worth for me, alas.

Soldato
Lol, more detail than I expected @Panos :) Sounds like a confusing set of options, but if you have p-state settings, you're basically golden.

If only there had been an X370 mATX option, I'd have jumped on it just for that, but instead I had to settle for B350 - which it turns out doesn't really know what to do to overclock an X chip :(

Trying for 3600mhz on the memory is quite optimistic though... 3200 is still a challenge on Ryzen, outside of very specific ram kits! I got tired of trying to pass 3066 after I realised that every error results in a boot-loop and a need to clear CMOS. More effort than it was worth for me, alas.

Atm I am running the 3600Mhz auto-overclock profile setting (135.5 blck with 1.37v on ram not 1.438 it tries by default).
Yes CPU is capped at 3.6, but trying to check for stability of the IMC mostly. If that works, nothing would stop the CPU go to 4-4.1Ghz from full manual OC rampage :p

Step at the time, is a step at the right direction :) Might try the 4133 ram modules I have to see if I can tweak them better.
You see got them last year when they were dirty cheap (£130-136 per 16GB 2x8) for the Skylake testing, and all of them are Samsung-B.

Back
Top Bottom