• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Seems you have a good IMC, mine wasn't happy at 3600, even with 1.5v thrown at it.

The initial overclock for the 3600Mhz profile was adding 1.438v on the ram, and was crashing straight away.
Lowered it to 1.37 and worked fine ever since. My ram is F4-3600C16-8GVK and bought is last year for £130. Worked since with the Z170, X99 and now with the X370.

Soldato
The initial overclock for the 3600Mhz profile was adding 1.438v on the ram, and was crashing straight away.
Lowered it to 1.37 and worked fine ever since. My ram is F4-3600C16-8GVK and bought is last year for £130. Worked since with the Z170, X99 and now with the X370.

I've just noticed that your using 135 bclk. Mine would crash at anything above 103.
Using 4266 sticks the most I could muster was 3466CL14, not that it was bad compared to others I just wanted more lol.

Soldato
Summary for me, (using the 8700k so it may be different) only shows the VID voltage which of course is different to vcore.
CPUz is what I would trust.

Played bit with the Ryzen Master. Without changing the voltages (1.44v), can push the CPU without issue at 4.125Ghz and run even cinebench to it.
4.150Ghz it goes straight to error 8 and crashes, so aint trying higher than that. Maybe 1-2 cores can take it, since I saw 4.3 yesterday with XFR running, but not all of them.
Voltage accoring to CPUZ are 1.526v at those speeds, all default mind you. Which is high for my liking regardless the predator performing well.
Also what worries me is that becomes generous with the DRAM voltage when that is OCed via the Ryzen Master. Gives to it 1.43v while I know can run 3600Mhz at 1.35.

So time to figure out why cannot force the voltage to it been lower, and fine tune it over the next few days, now I know it's limitations :)

And then delve into P-States

Soldato
Played bit with the Ryzen Master. Without changing the voltages (1.44v), can push the CPU without issue at 4.125Ghz and run even cinebench to it.
4.150Ghz it goes straight to error 8 and crashes, so aint trying higher than that. Maybe 1-2 cores can take it, since I saw 4.3 yesterday with XFR running, but not all of them.
Voltage accoring to CPUZ are 1.526v at those speeds, all default mind you. Which is high for my liking regardless the predator performing well.
Also what worries me is that becomes generous with the DRAM voltage when that is OCed via the Ryzen Master. Gives to it 1.43v while I know can run 3600Mhz at 1.35.

So time to figure out why cannot force the voltage to it been lower, and fine tune it over the next few days, now I know it's limitations :)

And then delve into P-States

Asus loves to over boot everything. My maximum board does this also.
If you are unable to run at those speeds with less volts then your overclocks are unstable, at least that's what I think you meant.

Soldato
Asus loves to over boot everything. My maximum board does this also.
If you are unable to run at those speeds with less volts then your overclocks are unstable, at least that's what I think you meant.

They aren't unstable. Had left it overnight running, and seems fine. But I do not like that high voltage, over the AMD advised ones.
And even if set to manual, doesn't drop them

Soldato
Quick question regarding the bundled cooler on the 1600...does it have much in the way of LED's? I see some images with a ring of red but unsure if this is only available with 1700?

Thanks

Soldato
IIRC only the AMD logo glows up white no other lights on that cooler.

Ok thanks...the more I think about buying an aftermarket cooler @ £50 for a few more LED's seems a bit of a waste of cash. The AMD cooler doesn't look too bad...1700 version looks slightly better though!

Soldato
Ok thanks...the more I think about buying an aftermarket cooler @ £50 for a few more LED's seems a bit of a waste of cash. The AMD cooler doesn't look too bad...1700 version looks slightly better though!

The one that comes with the 1700 has rgb support that you can plug into your board if it supports it. I tested with mine before fitting a waterblock.

Associate
What is everyones viewing experience when watching online videos on Ryzen platform?

Is it smooth experience because I am getting these odd brief moments of microstutterting video lag (about 0.5s) randomly few times per minute but the audio is fine. I would say it is hard to detect because it is only really noticeable during a moving shot/scene.

I have cleared CMOS, reseat RAM, tried RAM in different slots on motherboard, only using one stick, fresh install of Windows 10 (Fall Creators Update), latest AMD chipset drivers, replaced Power supply. No problems reported during memory tests (memtest86, HCI memtest, GSAT) or CPU tests e.g. Prime95. This is at default Bios settings with no overclocking.

Im thinking the issue could be either CPU, Motherboard, RAM or GPU related but it is difficult to test without spare hardware at hand.

My CPU build date is UA1716PGT and Im wondering if this could be anything to do with the segfault issue.

For example:

Google Chrome
Windows 10 x64 Fall Creators update
Video quality settings 1080p 60fps
test video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1La4QzGeaaQ

The video stats show video codec VP9 (303) and Audio codec opus (251).

Overall CPU utilization is about 10% with 4 of the threads shows 20-30% utilization.

I am seeing around 20 dropped frames per minute in Google Chome (when using 1080p60 video quality settings). Firefox says there are no dropped frames but the microstuttering is still there but maybe not so often.

PC Specs:
  • Ryzen 7 1700 (not overclocked)
  • Asus Prime Pro X370 (Bios 0902)
  • RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) running at 2133 Bios default settings
  • Asus R9 280X
  • Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256 GB and 1TB hard disk
  • Corsair RM 750x PSU

Soldato
Having opened a long discussion at OCNET about the weird voltages I am experiencing.

Waiting reply from elmor, however seems the board needs replacement. 2 bios (1501 & 1701) have same issues with it, even if the 1501 is bit easier on the voltage.
While trying to cut voltage doesn't work with 1701, with the 1501 not only it doesn't cut the voltage, but throttles the CPU to 3.1Ghz constant speed, no XFR while pumping to it 1.526v, even if trying to push it only 1.43v.

(yes long discussion, with removed batteries etc).

Back
Top Bottom