• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Yeah has AM3 holes in the board, but with no back plate there's not much I can do. I'm dubious about the quality of the plastic backplates for sale in various places.

Would rather wait and get a proper AM4 plate

You would be right to. I purchased an AM3 backplate from a very fast delivery retailer.
Needless to say it was crap, the threads had a completely wrong pitch.
Ended up getting a proper AM3 backplate from a dead motherboard from a local computer shop for something like £5. Might be worth ringing around.

Associate
I just found a recent video showing Threadripper gaming performance compared to the i9 7900x's while using Pascal Titan X SLI. :(

Well I gave a few titles a bash, I am quicker than their TR setup mainly in the minimum fps giving same or slightly higher average but struggle to better their max fps on TR guess that's the titan power, but that OC'd 7900x is nuts :eek: :D still mine plays lovely even if its not that fast, triple digits maxxed out @ 4k is nothing to sniff at :D

Permabanned
Well I gave a few titles a bash, I am quicker than their TR setup mainly in the minimum fps giving same or slightly higher average but struggle to better their max fps on TR guess that's the titan power, but that OC'd 7900x is nuts :eek: :D still mine plays lovely even if its not that fast, triple digits maxxed out @ 4k is nothing to sniff at :D

That's what I was thinking while watching the video, None of the frame rates were unplayable and once we get to testing real world gaming ie: not sli TXp's for 1080p etc the gpu will be more of a bottleneck than the cpu, so I imagine the difference will be a lot less than these suggest. It's true about the 7900x, If hitting 4.7 is the usual they've got some legs on em.

Soldato
That's what I was thinking while watching the video, None of the frame rates were even remotely unplayable and once we get to testing real world gaming ie: not sli TXp the gpu will be more of a bottleneck than the cpu.

Granted it is a very unreal scenario with titan XP's in SLi.
Going forward however, say 2 GPU generations this situation will become the norm.

My opinions ofc.

Permabanned
Granted it is a very unreal scenario with titan XP's in SLi.
Going forward however, say 2 GPU generations this situation will become the norm.

My opinions ofc.

True but the good news is that we know we're getting at least one more generation of cpu on the AM4 platform and hopefully that'll be a refresh with better overclocking potential so we'll be able to do a cpu only upgrade by the time that becomes a worry.

Soldato
True but the good news is that we know we're getting at least one more generation of cpu on the AM4 platform and hopefully that'll be a refresh with better overclocking potential so we'll be able to do a cpu only upgrade by the time that becomes a worry.

Or, you buy the better one now knowing that you won't need to upgrade in the future.
Horses for courses :)

Associate
Most reports put it as increasing memory latency, which isn't really a good thing. For the people who were stuck at 2933 and now get 3200, it's probably due to going through memory training and getting lucky since Agesa 1007 just adds support for Raven Ridge and changes CBS structure, at least from what mobo reps have said so far. Increased memory latency is weird though, might be Asus releasing another dud bios.

Last edited:
Soldato
might be Asus releasing another dud bios.

Not tried it yet, but if past experience is anything to go by you could be correct. The Asus attitude all along with AM4 has been "let the punter do the beta testing". The bios's for the CH6 have been that shocking, there is no other conclusion anyone could come to. So far the only problem free bios i have used is 1401 and i have no intention of flashing to another pile of crap to be a beta tester for Asus.

Soldato
Sitting on 1403 here at 3.9 and 3200 with nary a wobble. I'll be waiting for Zen+ before I update

Sat at at 3.8 and 3200 with 4x8gb without a wobble as well. The issue i had with 1403 was that fan control would randomly go up to full speed and would only go back to normal with a re-boot. Otherwise i would have stuck with it because like you i could get a stable clock at 3.9.

Soldato
Upgraded to the new Agesa on my Asus Prime Pro today. No improvement in ram compatibility with my Corsair LPX 3200Mhz.

Still running it at 3066Mhz.

I can occasionally get to windows at 3200Mhz but it requires 1.45v and it doesn't pass testing using HCI.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't think we'll see any more improvements on the RAM front, they've already done all they can do to improve compatibility. Going to have to wait for the next iteration of Zen or next gen boards if you want higher RAM frequencies.
Even Samsung E and B die seems to have difficulty getting 3200 C16 on some chips...

Soldato
Don't think we'll see any more improvements on the RAM front, they've already done all they can do to improve compatibility. Going to have to wait for the next iteration of Zen or next gen boards if you want higher RAM frequencies.
Even Samsung E and B die seems to have difficulty getting 3200 C16 on some chips...

Really? I thought the Samsung B die stuff was meant to just work.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
How are people getting on with Ryzen when used for Hypervisor (VMware etc..) Labs, as I have been looking around and it seems hit or miss mind you a lot of those posts I read where 6 months old. As ideally I would like to replace my HP ML310e G8 as it struggles when too many VMs are running on it. Also is there any board which have a KVM built into them?

Soldato
How are people getting on with Ryzen when used for Hypervisor (VMware etc..) Labs, as I have been looking around and it seems hit or miss mind you a lot of those posts I read where 6 months old. As ideally I would like to replace my HP ML310e G8 as it struggles when too many VMs are running on it. Also is there any board which have a KVM built into them?
I use Hyper-V with a 1950X build and it's fine. I'm only using one VM at the moment, running another instance of Window 10. The mobo is an Asus X399-A

Back
Top Bottom